BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Autocar: A45 AMG vs GTI vs M135i Review

06-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #67
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

Can I ask why people are mentioning the more hardcore review in the future. Then including the Golf R in with the M2 and RS3 MKII. The Golf R is only going to have 285 bhp according to quite a few sources. The S3 and M135i both surpass that figure already. The real future test will be the A45 AMG, M2, RS3 and Focus RS with a rumoured 330-350bhp.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #68
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I find it fascinating that some people are suddenly no longer pleased with the M135i when there is a car on the market that is faster. Why do you need such a fast car in the first place? Can't you just start the trip five minutes earlier if you are in such a hurry? I think most of you will never take the car to a track and compete with it anyway.

Some people are even disappointed that the A45 is faster than the M135i, even though they are not thinking about buying the M135i. What is that all about?

The M135i was praised when it was launched, and it is still just as good.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #69
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Because the only reason they bought it was for the bragging rights and now they don have much to brag about anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #70
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Well said! M labeled cars should never have RFT, poorly calibrated eps and soft suspension! Especially since BMW charges high premiums for those.
Rumors are that 2 series has been retuned - lets hope for the best
that is exactly why it is NOT an Mbadged car. Its basically the new model designation for an m-sport package.

I think the 1M coupe would have demolished the CLA45...not a hatch but in the same league right (size-wise)?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #71
raffoul232
Private
Rep
Drives: m135i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstoof
Because the only reason they bought it was for the bragging rights and now they don have much to brag about anymore.
Well they can still brag cause an m135i xdrive can upkeep with the a45 amg on 0-60 and second that a non m car can keep up with a full blown amg is bragging enough, that's if you look at it bragging rights. I own an m135i xdrive and even though I miss my scirocco this car is brilliant and fits what I need unlike the a45. Also what is soo good about it is the suspension being so soft that it doesn't hurt your back as much on long crappy roads. Also back seat space would go to the m135i. Shape is all up to taste. Fyi I think it's a diss for amg to be compared to a non m car that can do as much.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #72
raffoul232
Private
Rep
Drives: m135i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotony View Post
M is a letter.
LMAO.

On a separate note.....

The fanboys and their excuses are funny. Maybe BMW should stop throwing ///M's on non-///M cars so the brand and image can stop being tarnished and watered down and destroyed by AMG.

Mercedes takes their AMG brand and offers an even more stunning and exclusive option with the "Black series".

BMW takes their ///M brand and waters it down and cheapens it so every BMW made has an ///M steering wheel and shift knob that they can charge fanboys thousands for their "M-sport" edition. Sad really.

M 335i or m135i etc are basically a trim line, like Mercedes have a c180 amg or e350 amg etc, you also have audi with s-line, and vw with r-line. It's just a more aggressive look if someone can't afford the real thing. It's more of a marketing strategy, it's smart and it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #73
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

So I've had my M-lite almost three months now, almost 6,000ks, and really enjoy the car. I like that it has multiple personalities with M Adaptive and the Drive modes, and I can pick the one that matches my mood. It's comfortable, has all the space needed for two of us, delivers surprising fuel economy, and howls like a bitch when I'm on my own. It doesn't attract attention, but once people see it and have a ride, they really like it. I really like the spec i have...only the rear camera is unnecessary, and I'm still very happy with the price I paid so don't have any regrets given the recent price cuts

It's a keeper, and I reckon it'll last at least three years in my garage, or perhaps longer, like its S3 predecessor, as I wait for something better to come along.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #74
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotony View Post
M is a letter.
LMAO.

On a separate note.....

The fanboys and their excuses are funny. Maybe BMW should stop throwing ///M's on non-///M cars so the brand and image can stop being tarnished and watered down and destroyed by AMG.

Mercedes takes their AMG brand and offers an even more stunning and exclusive option with the "Black series".

BMW takes their ///M brand and waters it down and cheapens it so every BMW made has an ///M steering wheel and shift knob that they can charge fanboys thousands for their "M-sport" edition. Sad really.
Well said! M labeled cars should never have RFT, poorly calibrated eps and soft suspension! Especially since BMW charges high premiums for those.
Rumors are that 2 series has been retuned - lets hope for the best
Well..... I agree with you on M going a bit crazy with all the different versions and packages.

But AMG is absolutely not immune from this. They put AMG badges and wheels on just about anything.

Hell the 201hp C250 has an AMG package that adds the wheels and steering wheel.
      06-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #75
danno_e90
Private
Rep
Drives: R53

nice review, the most interesting part was the sheep
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #76
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar911 View Post
Oh well, I guess the true competitor for the A45 is the M2.
In the meantime, would be interesting to watch the 45 up against a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #77
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar911 View Post
Oh well, I guess the true competitor for the A45 is the M2.
In the meantime, would be interesting to watch the 45 up against a 1M.
According to AMG, the A45 should be faster than 1M. Their benchmark for A45 at the Nurbergring was RS3, 1M, and M135i. A45 was faster than all of them, with the 1M as the closest competitor in terms of lap time.

But to me they are different cars. A45 is a hatchback while 1M is not, they should attract different types of buyers.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #78
scheneider
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M //AMG

Hi bro, Google M performance automobiles. Its nothing like what u said, its a new line of bmws. Nothimg like normal bmw with M badges.
M division tuned d engine suspension brakes etc.

So yah cant compare with audi s line/ c350 with juat amg kit.

For me its like S in audi. RS is M.

Mercedes domt have this line yet
      06-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #79
Callthecops
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Ovekvam mentioned something that I've noticed with people who buy cars with lot's of horsepower.

There are two types.

1. The ones that like to talk about their car and performance and have a softspot for red light drag races and overtaking other (performance) cars... in a straight line, because fast cornering seems to scare them.

2. The ones that are looking to improve their car to go faster around a track.
They never race on public roads because they know they have a fast car and don't feel the need to prove it.

Group 1 is more upset about the review then group 2.
Because group 2 knows they have a car with RWD, almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution and great cornering abilities and don't care that there are faster cars in the same league.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #80
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

There's a third group, who are those people that don't own any of the cars tested, but are avid readers of any, and every, road test or comparison. This seems to qualify them to comment, irrespective of the fact they don't own the car, or have most likely never even driven it.

I always assume there is always a faster car, or someone with more money to modify, or someone who is a better driver. I hope I can learn from these people. If I'm not, I ignore them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #81
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck
Can I ask why people are mentioning the more hardcore review in the future. Then including the Golf R in with the M2 and RS3 MKII. The Golf R is only going to have 285 bhp according to quite a few sources. The S3 and M135i both surpass that figure already. The real future test will be the A45 AMG, M2, RS3 and Focus RS with a rumoured 330-350bhp.
Subaru might have a nice Sti package by the time m2 comes out. Isn't focus rs fwd?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #82
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheneider
Hi bro, Google M performance automobiles. Its nothing like what u said, its a new line of bmws. Nothimg like normal bmw with M badges.

More like s-trim. S Audis are real deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #83
scheneider
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M //AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by scheneider

More like s-trim. S Audis are real deal.
U got it confuse with M sport package mate. Google BMW'S MPA.
      06-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #84
elstoof
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffoul232 View Post
Well they can still brag cause an m135i xdrive can upkeep with the a45 amg on 0-60 and second that a non m car can keep up with a full blown amg is bragging enough, that's if you look at it bragging rights. I own an m135i xdrive and even though I miss my scirocco this car is brilliant and fits what I need unlike the a45. Also what is soo good about it is the suspension being so soft that it doesn't hurt your back as much on long crappy roads. Also back seat space would go to the m135i. Shape is all up to taste. Fyi I think it's a diss for amg to be compared to a non m car that can do as much.
I don't think you quite got the point of my post. If you buy a car for bragging rights then you've got it all wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #85
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
that would be a nice comparo. Chris Harris did a review and the m135i already beat out the RS3 (at least in his review). The m135i actually "walked" the RS3 in a long drag race and beat it out on the circuit.

I'm guessing the MBZ/Audi has more understeer on turn in due to awd?

RWD or AWD are not as such determining the over/understeer behaviour. A car that is oversteer has the tendency at constant speed to have is rear axle reducing turning radius first. So a better check is the weight distribution.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #86
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
BMW really does need to sort out their new electronic power steering or they're going to continue to get hammered in reviews. Having said that, I cannot believe the reviewer didn't address the #1 question everyone (I know) has about the new M133 engine: what's the turbo lag like?

If you check the Autocar written review, things don't sound too good:

Yikes. Late power delivery from a turbocharged car is a major peeve of mine. I just won't tolerate it.
I believe that Autocar reviewer doesn't understand the concept of lag then!? What you quote has nothing to do with lag. That the Merc has less torque at low rpm is certainly true but no lag. Lag is the phenomenon that you accelerate and open up the inflow of air, but the turbo needs time to spool up to deliver boost. Most probably the lag of the merc is bigger than the one of the M135i since it's turbo pressure to displacement ratio is much higher!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #87
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
There's a third group, who are those people that don't own any of the cars tested, but are avid readers of any, and every, road test or comparison. This seems to qualify them to comment, irrespective of the fact they don't own the car, or have most likely never even driven it.

I always assume there is always a faster car, or someone with more money to modify, or someone who is a better driver. I hope I can learn from these people. If I'm not, I ignore them.
Owning a car has never been a criterium to say something usefull about it. That's why I generally value professional journalists driving all kind of cars all day long more than the average joe that only drives that single specific car.

When I would own a M135i, it will not put my opinion above the one of Steve's. I could only conclude that maybe my preferences lay a bit different.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #88
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

When all the fossil fuels are used up and all we have are electric vehicles, 0-60 times and top speeds will become pretty much standardised.

Then people will be reduced to willy waving over range and Formula 1 will be silent and boring.
Appreciate 0