BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > SLI Emulator - MPH :)

02-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
bmccluskey
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, M140i

SLI Emulator - MPH :)

Just installed a chinese SLI emulator in my M140i and its not showing kmh

I have been looking for an SLI emulator since I got the car a couple of years ago. The 2 options seemed to be:

1: A £200ish version from Romania which will work correctly show mph but will need you to tap into some existing wires.

2: The other option is a much cheaper chinese version that you simply plug into the existing wiring and can be removed very easily. The down side of these seems to be they always show the "kph" letters as well as the speed limit. The digits for the speed limit are the correct mph ones but just a bit annoying it show the kmh.

After searching around again a couple of weeks ago, nothing much seems to have changed. I was hovering over buying the £200 version but then came across one on aliexpress for just under £30. The pictures on their page even show the kph below the digits. For £30 I thought I would have a punt and see if I could live with the annoying kmh.

Delivery was less than 2 weeks, even with the Chinese New Year. It arrieved as pictured and not installation took about 10 minutes. Undo the 2 torx screws that hold the instrument panel in place, gently lever it out. There were 2 cables clipped into the back of the unit. They are different sizes so quite easy to identfy which you need. Simply unplug it, plug into into the emulator and then the other end of the emulator into the back of the unit. A bit of double sided tape holds the emulator to the back of the speedo, seems to be plenty of space. Push the instrument panel back in, but the two screws in and job done

I then used eSys to add the 8TH option to the VO, uploaded and actived it. Then right clicked the Kombi and HU_NBT to code them. Bingo the speed limit indicator appeared in the instrument panel. The best bit is that there is only the digits for the speed limit in the display, no kmh or mph to be seen

I took it out for a test drive and I am very iimpressed. Seems to change very quickly as i pass from one limit to the other.

This is the one I ordered
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32887456757.html

No idea what has changed and why no kph or mph letters are showing. My car is a late 2017 build but was flashed by the dealer last year to 2019-03 software. It could be the manufacturers have changed the firmware on these units or could be something unique to my configuration.

Last edited by bmccluskey; 02-10-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:53 AM   #2
bmccluskey
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, M140i

See the attached for a photo taken this morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #3
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccluskey View Post
See the attached for a photo taken this morning.
Do you have a 6wb cluster or 6wa?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Nice review!

The problem i have with this (and its not related to the emulator but rather bmw) is that it's either digital speedo or SLI....which rather sucks :S
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #5
raphaelpais
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Garage List
2012 BMW 116i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
Nice review!

The problem i have with this (and its not related to the emulator but rather bmw) is that it's either digital speedo or SLI....which rather sucks :S
Just installed mine, is there any workaround to show both?

Last edited by raphaelpais; 02-15-2021 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0