BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Air vents blasting air faster than it's set

01-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
Alio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

Air vents blasting air faster than it's set

Bought a 2 year old 118i a few months ago. The climate control seems strange but the more I read perhaps it's normal? It blows scorching hot at low temperatures sometimes, and cold when turned up to 20+, it's very random.

The other main issue is the air vents blast air at me like they're on full blast but it's on the lowest setting. I've been driving with it on windscreen only because there appears to be no slow speed. I've driven a 1 series before I bought this and it wasn't doing any of these things.

It is under warranty and I've taken it back to Stratstone (my nearest dealer) and they have not been able to find an issue. Should I keep going back to them? Bit worried about being a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alio View Post
Bought a 2 year old 118i a few months ago. The climate control seems strange but the more I read perhaps it's normal? It blows scorching hot at low temperatures sometimes, and cold when turned up to 20+, it's very random.
You don't provide much information, actually. "Low temperatures" are the climate settings, I'd presume. Also, I have to presume it's not desired temperature setting change related, just all of a sudden. Another assumption has to be you have the full-featured dual-zone climate control. From all that it might still be normal if related to the (automatic, AUC mode?) air recirculation and fighting moisture in the AUTO climate mode. This is just a guess, I have a pure manual basic air conditioning which works like a charm apart from suppressing the fan to save the battery (most annoying when defrosting is needed).

There's been a similar thread around: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1205947. Not really useful besides indicating the issue is rare but not unique.

Quote:
The other main issue is the air vents blast air at me like they're on full blast but it's on the lowest setting. I've been driving with it on windscreen only because there appears to be no slow speed. I've driven a 1 series before I bought this and it wasn't doing any of these things.
In the manual (page 119) they call the setting "intensity" in the AUTO mode, distinguishing it from the "air flow". Although the former should include the latter I'd guess. If the other 1 Series you drove had the same climate control the difference should indicate an issue, of course.

Quote:
It is under warranty and I've taken it back to Stratstone (my nearest dealer) and they have not been able to find an issue. Should I keep going back to them? Bit worried about being a pain in the ass.
Not unless there is another dealer service you don't mind giving a chance. If you suspect they are idiots you have to repeat a "joke" to conceding to that (unless you really have to) would be being on par. I don't go to my nearest dealers because of their insolence (service rather than work quality I never even tested). I'm nowhere happy with the dealer service I use (they all compete for the wrong "prize" actually ) but their attitude is acceptable, at least.

ovekvam (and others to whom it may concern), "What are you waiting for"? Do you really mind sharing your vast experience of using (presumably) the same climate control?
Appreciate 0