BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Difference between Sports and Sports+?

08-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #23
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Further to my comment above, I just drove around for a bit in DSC Off and while it certainly does revert to Comfort throttle mapping, my car's M-adaptive dampers and steering stayed in the Sport setting.

I tried going to DSC Off via Comfort, Sport and Sport+ but each time it ended up with firm damping and steering and soft throttle. Fun
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
SJP013
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Further to my comment above, I just drove around for a bit in DSC Off and while it certainly does revert to Comfort throttle mapping, my car's M-adaptive dampers and steering stayed in the Sport setting.

I tried going to DSC Off via Comfort, Sport and Sport+ but each time it ended up with firm damping and steering and soft throttle. Fun

That's really interesting - mine always goes back to soft suspension and steering. Will have another play and see what I can come up with.

I do also totally agree with your first comment - LSD is likely to deliver enough additional grip to enable the DSC cut in point in sport+ far enough for it to not matter as much.

But I can tell you, chasing an HSV GTS up Macq pass, the lack of LSD and an over eager DSC got a bit frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

It is possible that a limited slip differential could make the car more likely to step sideways when your right foot gets too heavy, thus making the DTC cut in sooner in the corners. But it is also possible that you can get more power down with a lighter right foot.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #26
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP013 View Post
That's really interesting - mine always goes back to soft suspension and steering. Will have another play and see what I can come up with.
Haha you had me doubting myself - I've been switching back and forth between modes all day, and it definitely is firmer in the damping and steering in DSC Off with my car. Mine's a January 2013 build manual in case that makes any difference.
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
So, what du you M135i owners think about the fake differential brake feature in Sport+? Is it enabled or not?
It is difficult to tell with a 116i.
In Sport+ mode, I did test it. In a very tight hairpin with slope up, I deliberately gave it more gas than necessary. The inside wheel spun away, so I guess it does not work at least for my little test. The wheels quiet down after DSC cut my power.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
In Sport+ mode, I did test it. In a very tight hairpin with slope up, I deliberately gave it more gas than necessary. The inside wheel spun away, so I guess it does not work at least for my little test. The wheels quiet down after DSC cut my power.
That is also my impression. I think it is only enabled in DSC Off.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #29
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep

Same here - in Sport+ it does seem to spin away the inside wheel, start to move out then stutters as the DSC cuts in. In DSC off and being sensible, it gently steps out but keeps propelling forward. I also quite like the softer throttle calibration in this mode, and maybe that has something to do with this perception.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #30
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Most cars start to understeer a bit when you go back on the throttle in a corner, since it squats down in the back, and gets light up front. In the F20, when the fake differential brake kicks in, you can feel that the braking of the inside wheel creates a turning torque that neutralizes that understeer. It is particularly noticeable going around tight corners. It makes it possible and easy to accelerate in a four wheel drift. While some rear wheel drive cars have to wait with acceleration until the car is fairly straight after a corner, the F20 can corner surprisingly well under power.

BMW could have used this feature in marketing by saying they have torque vectoring in DSC Off mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #31
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Most cars start to understeer a bit when you go back on the throttle in a corner, since it squats down in the back, and gets light up front. In the F20, when the fake differential brake kicks in, you can feel that the braking of the inside wheel creates a turning torque that neutralizes that understeer. It is particularly noticeable going around tight corners. It makes it possible and easy to accelerate in a four wheel drift. While some rear wheel drive cars have to wait with acceleration until the car is fairly straight after a corner, the F20 can corner surprisingly well under power.

BMW could have used this feature in marketing by saying they have torque vectoring in DSC Off mode.
So does the F20 come as standard with the fake differential (as ive wondered this for a while), and does it work at low speeds (ie it detects one wheel slipping, say in the snow and ice, and brakes that wheel) along with at high speeds as you describe? Its a feature VAG only put on their MK6 Golf GTI and GTD; although all MK6 golf's had the low speed system. It does help alot with cornering under power.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #32
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
So does the F20 come as standard with the fake differential (as ive wondered this for a while), and does it work at low speeds (ie it detects one wheel slipping, say in the snow and ice, and brakes that wheel) along with at high speeds as you describe? Its a feature VAG only put on their MK6 Golf GTI and GTD; although all MK6 golf's had the low speed system. It does help alot with cornering under power.
Yes, it comes as standard on all F20/F21 models, and it works at all speeds in DSC OFF mode. I think the 130i of the previous one series generation also had it, but I am not sure of that. (Edit: or was it the 135i?)
Appreciate 0