BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Best road trip

03-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #1
Garrus
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

Best road trip

Interested in hearing about people's favorite road trip.

The pandemic means I work everyday from home. But in between meetings I dream about my next road trip. I want to take my Beamer and drive up to Michigan and see the upper peninsula. Then drive across that bridge into Wisconsin, see Green Bay and Chicago, then drive back to DC.

My favorite road trip was back in 2016 when I drove from LA to San Fran in a rented Mustang convertible on PCH 1. Bad ass trip. I felt free.

Second favorite was in 2019, right before the pandemic. I drove from Denver, through the Rockies, into Utah. Saw Arches National Park, Monument Value (I saw how the Navajo lived; it ain't easy), and Sedona. Went to Las Vegas, Death Valley (beautiful and creepy in November), then up to Reno through the mountains. Eventually got to Sacremento and San Fran again.

What are some cool road trips you took, or want to take?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #2
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Interested in hearing about people's favorite road trip.

The pandemic means I work everyday from home. But in between meetings I dream about my next road trip. I want to take my Beamer and drive up to Michigan and see the upper peninsula. Then drive across that bridge into Wisconsin, see Green Bay and Chicago, then drive back to DC.

My favorite road trip was back in 2016 when I drove from LA to San Fran in a rented Mustang convertible on PCH 1. Bad ass trip. I felt free.

Second favorite was in 2019, right before the pandemic. I drove from Denver, through the Rockies, into Utah. Saw Arches National Park, Monument Value (I saw how the Navajo lived; it ain't easy), and Sedona. Went to Las Vegas, Death Valley (beautiful and creepy in November), then up to Reno through the mountains. Eventually got to Sacremento and San Fran again.

What are some cool road trips you took, or want to take?
you called it driving up the 1 is one of the best road trips, too many awesome places to stop, see and stay.

hell we take the drive out to ventura from san bernardino on the weekend to day trip to the state beaches from emma wood all the way up to El capitan. so nice up there
Appreciate 1
Garrus9.00
      03-17-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
Garrus
Rep

Do you take Rt 99 up to El Capitan? Is that a nice drive?

The drive from Death Valley up 395 to Reno was just epic. I think California is a driver's paradise.

Drive safe!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Do you take Rt 99 up to El Capitan? Is that a nice drive?

The drive from Death Valley up 395 to Reno was just epic. I think California is a driver's paradise.

Drive safe!
im way out in san bernardino, i take the 10w,57n,210w,134n,101n to the 1n costal access at emma wood, and just cruz the 1 the rest of the way

california awesome to drive in the winter/spring so beautiful

done that DV to reno a few times, definitely not a fun summer trip, lol

old 395 has great stops along the way
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

A couple of years ago I did El Paso to Vegas in a group "rally" with a friend in his C7 Z06.
Overnight stop in Mexican Hat, UT. No interstate driving, all back roads, 600mi each day. It was an epic adventure and tons of cool sightseeing and driving roads.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
Garrus9.00
      03-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

When I had a motorcycle and lived in MA, I'd head out way early on a Sunday and take Rte 2 out to North Adams, then Rte 8 up to Rte 100 in Vermont. Rte 100 all the way past Killington and then east to Lincoln, NH to pick up the Kancamgus (Rte 112) over to Conway, then backroads home. Made for a very long, but very enjoyable day.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Garrus9.00
      03-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #7
Garrus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
im way out in san bernardino, i take the 10w,57n,210w,134n,101n to the 1n costal access at emma wood, and just cruz the 1 the rest of the way

california awesome to drive in the winter/spring so beautiful

done that DV to reno a few times, definitely not a fun summer trip, lol

old 395 has great stops along the way
I didn't know driving through the Rockies to Cali could be so dangerous in the in the winter time.

Flew into Denver and it was snowing. Not bad. Some flakes. Then started driving to Vail along this mountain road and it started snowing like crazy. It was dumping snow. And my mom was with me. And it was 6pm. It was nerve wracking. Got to Vail around 8pm. I was relieved. I paid $$ for a space at that hotel, but its wasn't worth our lives to keep driving.

The next morning I paid $25 for a latte and breakfast sandwich. I was just, WTF?? $25 ?? Then it turned out to be one of the best lattes I ever had, and the breakfast sandwich was the size of a damn whopper. Huh. So this is how fancy people live!

Colorado turned out to be just gorgeous. But roads were blocked because of the weather. Eventually we made it to Arches National Park and Monument Valley. It was great!!! And Moab ended up being a really cool town to visit.

A dusk we just checked into a hotel in this town called Tuba. it is a depressing area. A few gas stations, some food joints and a hotel, that's it. I tried ordering a beer and found out alcohol was illegal in that area. I had read about this, that the locals suffered from high rates of alcoholism. Tragic. Speaking with the locals, I found that a lot of them lived without power or running water. Passed by their high school. I will say the well-to-do in DC would never tolerate those poor facilities for their own kids. And what was hilarious was that these Navajo told me some of their so-called tribal leadership lived in Flagstaff. It was a rich town about 50 miles west of Tuba.

The worst was driving out of Navajo country. Its a two lane, opposing traffic, highway going out of their territory. Traveling at night on that thing was risky. One woman tried pushing through, and she ended up hitting a cow. Because there was no cell phone signal, she was stuck all night with this wrecked car and dead ass cow she just smacked into.

Finally someone found her in the morning. The authorities sorted things out. Because the cow was pregnant, this woman ended up paying damages for 2 cows. The whole affair was just a mess.

Later got to Vegas. My mom and I got to enjoy Vegas right before the pandemic hit, which was nice. She loves slot machines. But damn, those areas outside of the strip don't feel so safe. Stayed for 2 nights and dropped my mom off at the airport so she could fly home. I continued on to Death Valley.

Death Valley was creepy in the winter. There are people who live in their RVs who like that time of year there! Not for me. I remember stopping my car halfway to the Death Valley. I got out, and there was just silence. No planes, cars, or anything. It was maybe 50 degrees, and there was a layer of fog all around me.

Then I started thinking about where this is typically the part in movies where half-dead people start appearing out of the mist with arms out stretched. I was thinking, NOPE. Got back in my car and kept chugging along.

395 was awesome. Eventually made it to Reno and San Fran. I wish I were back there.
Appreciate 0