BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models) > My E9 2800cs restoration journal

04-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #287
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
Small update, but I have been driving the hell out of the car and its good. Like really really good. The 5 speed completely changes it, much smoother and quieter. It also isnt leaking anything.... and I filled all the fluids so I know its not empty. I think its good to go for the vintage next month. Yesterday, I treated to to a quick bath and interior wipe down, it got covered in pollen last time I drove it.
Congrats! Well deserved results from a long project. Thanks for sharing it!

And feel free to continue updates if you have them or even just random pictures
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #288
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Small update, but I have been driving the hell out of the car and its good. Like really really good. The 5 speed completely changes it, much smoother and quieter. It also isnt leaking anything.... and I filled all the fluids so I know its not empty. I think its good to go for the vintage next month. Yesterday, I treated to to a quick bath and interior wipe down, it got covered in pollen last time I drove it.
great to hear she's running so well!!! congrats on your resto of such a beautiful car! lots of great work documented in this thread, and it's got to be satisfying to be enjoying the fruits of all that labor! thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #289
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

This weekend was the annual trip to The Vintage. We didnt have too terribly much prep except for new brake pads on the front and an adjustment on the rear. I did give it a quick bath Thursday before heading out Friday morning.

Untitled by Nick Wood, on Flickr

All set.

I usually take one of my buckets full of cleaning supplies so I can clean the car up before the show, but a normal bucket wouldn't fit in the trunk. I stopped by the local detail garage and grabbed this shorter bucket and some smaller spray bottles.

Perfect fit.

The weekend was a blur, so much so that I didn't snap any pics. Friday we went to Greer to the CCA museum, then to the hotel in Asheville. Had dinner with some friends Friday night, and drank too much beer in the hotel parking lot. Saturday met up with some friends Saturday morning and after coffee, took back roads up to the show. We had a little rain heading back to the hotel after the vintage, but not too bad and ended the evening with more parking lot beers. We had a few little issues with the car. There is a stumble/hesitation that intermittently shows up for a short time if the car heat soaks. We swapped the coil and it was great for the rest of the weekend until about 2 miles from home. The ac could use a recharge and it has a little pull to the left under heavyish braking. All and all I am pretty happen with how it performed. We have some mods and maintenance planned soon, but we might wait until the winter and do it all at once. For now it just needs a good cleaning.

Appreciate 9
happyjack1657.00
wdb4673.00
flybigjet6617.50
P111541.50
overcoil3068.50
Mani5913300.00
      05-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #290
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Quote:
This weekend was the annual trip to The Vintage. We didnt have too terribly much prep except for new brake pads on the front and an adjustment on the rear. I did give it a quick bath Thursday before heading out Friday morning.

All set.

I usually take one of my buckets full of cleaning supplies so I can clean the car up before the show, but a normal bucket wouldn't fit in the trunk. I stopped by the local detail garage and grabbed this shorter bucket and some smaller spray bottles.

The weekend was a blur, so much so that I didn't snap any pics. Friday we went to Greer to the CCA museum, then to the hotel in Asheville. Had dinner with some friends Friday night, and drank too much beer in the hotel parking lot. Saturday met up with some friends Saturday morning and after coffee, took back roads up to the show. We had a little rain heading back to the hotel after the vintage, but not too bad and ended the evening with more parking lot beers. We had a few little issues with the car. There is a stumble/hesitation that intermittently shows up for a short time if the car heat soaks. We swapped the coil and it was great for the rest of the weekend until about 2 miles from home. The ac could use a recharge and it has a little pull to the left under heavyish braking. All and all I am pretty happen with how it performed. We have some mods and maintenance planned soon, but we might wait until the winter and do it all at once. For now it just needs a good cleaning.
Really love your E9! Definitely a set of BBS Super RS would look great on this.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 07:49 AM   #291
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

I cant believe its almost been a year since my last post. The car has been perfect, but some small updates.. The drivers seat had a split that has been getting worse so we found a way to kinda "glue" it back together. We glued it and dyed it and it looks pretty good. We have a new seat cover that we will eventually install but I would like to keep the stock leather as long as I can.

Finally got around to getting this tag registered to the car. Its only like $5-10 to do this in Georgia so I figured why not?

And Saturday, while I was working, my dad took it to a local show and it won its first award.

I may have a lead on some wheels for it....
Appreciate 7
Almuliman414.50
lakefront560.50
wdb4673.00
Mani5913300.00
      06-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #292
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Small update on the e9. Project cars are really never done....

The door cards are made of a compressed cardboard, and the drivers door was no longer holding the clips that attach it to the door. We found a company that was making new door cards out of wood. So we pulled the cards, pealed the pretty part off and glued it onto the wood panel.

While it was apart, we replaced the vent and main window seals.

And re-assembled.

Its looking a ton better and should last for years.

Appreciate 6
happyjack1657.00
flybigjet6617.50
wdb4673.00
Mani5913300.00
      08-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #293
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Just a few small updates. The E9 has been on the lift for the better part of a month or so. We finally put a set of rear bumper under riders on. We are also fixing/replacing all of the trunk trim.

While it was up waiting on parts, we replaced the rear brake cylinders and lines. The wheels were also looking at little shabby and we painted them the wrong color last time, since the car was going to be on the lift for a while we repainted them as well.

I think we will get a set of 16" alpina reps before too long but these will work for now.

Appreciate 2
Mani5913300.00
      08-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #294
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I'd kill for that garage setup. What part of GA are you in?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 06:41 PM   #295
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
The wheels were also looking at little shabby and we painted them the wrong color last time, since the car was going to be on the lift for a while we repainted them as well.
What did you use for silver paint?
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:50 PM   #296
IcewaterPete
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Looking good!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #297
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I'd kill for that garage setup. What part of GA are you in?
Newnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
What did you use for silver paint?
Wurth silver. These are going to get replaced anyway so we just rattle canned them for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcewaterPete View Post
Looking good!
Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2023, 08:27 AM   #298
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep

We have been chasing a sputter/fuel starvation issue all summer. When the car gets hot, it develops a poor running condition and has stalled a couple times. We checked the air fuel ratio and it was lean, so the first step was fatten it up.

That helped but the condition would still pop up occasionally. I found a post on an Opel Gt forum were someone was having the same issue and cured it by heat wrapping some of the fuel lines under the hood. His thought was that the heat was causing a vapor lock issue... worth a shot. We also swapped in a smaller fuel filter, this is a filter we added not an oem filter.

While it was down we also repaired and replaced the trunk trim. Its looking much nicer now.

I drove it to work today and no issues so far.... Fingers crossed.

Appreciate 5
wdb4673.00
Davil6333.50
ppointer732.50
Mani5913300.00