BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2018 M140i HELP

06-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Adam1998
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M140i

2018 M140i HELP

Hi,

New Here, First Post

Recently purchased a 2018 M140i Shadow Edition 17.5k on clock that has previously been in an unrecorded front end accident which I was aware of.

Cosmetically the vehicle has been repaired however there’s a few things about the drive that just don’t feel right.

Mods include:

BMW M-Performance LSD
Motech Springs and Spacers (Front Passenger spring has cracked, can visibly hear it over change in road surfaces and bumpy roads)
Remap and Gearbox Tune

I’m down on power and the handling feels very loose. Been to the garage, Suspension parts have been checked over and apart from the mentioned above spring being broken. Everything seems to be right. Tyre pressures and balancing have also been checked. No uneven wear on the tyres either, Callipers don’t seem to have seized and brake pads and discs seem okay.

The car also waves from side to side very aggressively at anything over 40Mph, there feels to be excessive play in the steering wheel which becomes more apparent on coasting and braking.

Diagnostic Machine has revealed the following error codes.

20A201 - Coolant Pump In Low-Temperature. Coolant-Circuit, Coolant Loss detected

The intercooler has no holes or visible leaks, all pipes are secured and it isn’t leaking from the cap. However filling it up full, driving for no more then 5 miles and the coolant does disappear somewhere. The Engine and Turbo coolant seems to be holding fine, the smaller bottle is the one losing it so I’m assuming it is something do with the intercooler or there abouts?

The car was previously remapped to 450bhp but I’m guessing due to the lack of coolant and the way these work explains why it’s not indicating anything over 280BHP. It does seem down on power too. On a cold start I can get the displays to show around 330BHP. But as it warms up and the temps rise it reduces power.

801224 - Air Conditioning Compressor: Shut down due to Excess Pressure in refrigerant circuit.

801225 - Air Conditioning Compressor: Shut down due to vacuum in refrigerant circuit.

E71439 - Signal(Status of Pressure Sensor for coolant circuit, 0x2D2. invalid, transmitter FEM/BDC

Any ideas on these codes? The A/C does not work, the fan belt also makes a screeching noise on first start up with anything above 3k rpm, then becomes silent and behaved after a few minutes.

Seems like it has a serious Coolant issue but can’t for the life of me figure it out.

I am not mechanically minded as much as I want to be, wondering if anybody here has any ideas or could point me in the right direction. Would love to get this sorted as soon as I can. I picked it up cheap so I don’t mind spending a little as long as it’s right. Not stupid enough to replace everything though. Just trying to find the culprits causing the problems.

It’s a beautiful little car, I plan to hold onto it if I can get it all sorted..

Please help me out if there’s anything you could contribute to the situation, at this point it’s eating away at me not knowing what it is. The loose feeling the car gives off is also a major issue also for me as my mrs will be driving it too with our young daughter present, she’s been anxious to get behind the wheel but I’ve had to hold her off until I get these issues resolved, it doesn’t feel safe the way it is.

Thanks
Adam
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 10:55 AM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

A/C does not Work caused by the Coolant issue M140i has a water cooled A/C Condenser... fill the coolant and pressurize it with an pump/adapter to check for leaks... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_1423

Radiator n 2 is the one upfront.. knownt to be leaking caused by stones
Appreciate 0