BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M140i Official

09-23-2016, 04:48 AM   #45
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Bleah, In my opinion, an HUD screen isn't needed in a car like an M140...
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 01:53 AM   #46
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m140i

I have had my M140i for over 2 weeks now. I am still running the engine in and keeping the revs below 4500rpm for the first 2,000kms. The B58 engine is so torquey that I don't even see the need to rev the engine that high but I cannot wait to wind it out to see the top end delivery. I am surprised at the cars fuel efficiency, I am doing 9.5L/100kms and I suspect it will only get better as the engine is run in.

I previously had a 2008 135i with only a JB4 and the stock power of the M140i feels comparable but a lot smoother in its delivery, I attribute this to the ZF 8 speed TM. The ride is also a step forward, the adaptive dampers really help iron out the road imperfections where in my 135i the suspension would crash and bottom out, fair assessment as both cars had Michelin PSS tyres fitted.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #47
rednose
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 330i LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Looks a tad ugly to me...I'm not that attached to HUD to want to add that to my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
Bleah, In my opinion, an HUD screen isn't needed in a car like an M140...
I have HUD optioned in the wife's car, it is actually very useful and allows all the day to day info you need to appear on the windscreen.

Shame its not available on the 1 and 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #48
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaze55 View Post
I have had my M140i for over 2 weeks now. I am still running the engine in and keeping the revs below 4500rpm for the first 2,000kms. The B58 engine is so torquey that I don't even see the need to rev the engine that high but I cannot wait to wind it out to see the top end delivery. I am surprised at the cars fuel efficiency, I am doing 9.5L/100kms and I suspect it will only get better as the engine is run in.

I previously had a 2008 135i with only a JB4 and the stock power of the M140i feels comparable but a lot smoother in its delivery, I attribute this to the ZF 8 speed TM. The ride is also a step forward, the adaptive dampers really help iron out the road imperfections where in my 135i the suspension would crash and bottom out, fair assessment as both cars had Michelin PSS tyres fitted.
I didn't ordered mine with the adaptive dampers because who have them in the M135i, adviced me not to choose them, as the stock suspension is already very comfortable and "right stiffed" for a normal every day use. As you're driving yours since two weeks, as far as the sound, is it true that, compared to the M135i, from the inside is noticebale the induction noise instead of the classic "turbo blow"?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #49
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Eight View Post
I didn't ordered mine with the adaptive dampers because who have them in the M135i, adviced me not to choose them, as the stock suspension is already very comfortable and "right stiffed" for a normal every day use. As you're driving yours since two weeks, as far as the sound, is it true that, compared to the M135i, from the inside is noticebale the induction noise instead of the classic "turbo blow"?
Sorry I cant comment on the sound in comparison to the M135i as I had the previous generation E82 135i coupe. In Australia, our M140i come standard with the 12 Speaker HK stereo, comfort access and M adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #50
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Sorry I cant comment on the sound in comparison to the M135i as I had the previous generation E82 135i coupe. In Australia, our M140i come standard with the 12 Speaker HK stereo, comfort access and M adaptive suspension.
So if you want to have it without comfort access (which makes it easy to steal), and without adaptive suspension, you have to pay extra?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #51
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Nice review

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...w-m140i-review
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #52
V-Eight
Captain
Rep

I know.....the manual gearbox is the perfection on a car like this, but I was forced to buy the ZF, because even if I made everything to ask BMW Italy to have one with the manual, this gearbox is not imported in my country. Only Automatic in Italy, I hope (as I'm used to drive manual cars) not to miss it too much.
Does anyone can give me some detail of how the ZF rides on the M140?
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #53
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
have it without comfort access (which makes it easy to steal)
How can it be even easier? AFAIK the difference is you trigger your key recognition by means other than the key button (door handle button or rear bumper kick ) yet the technology behind should be the same as inside the cabin ("keyless" start), or isn't it?

Quote:
you have to pay extra?
Probably not: there are things (reasonable, unless you want to import it yourself) money can't buy.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #54
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
How can it be even easier? AFAIK the difference is you trigger your key recognition by means other than the key button (door handle button or rear bumper kick ) yet the technology behind should be the same as inside the cabin ("keyless" start), or isn't it?
Without comfort access, you have to click the key to open the car. With comfort access, it is enough to be close to the car. The thiefs will follow you with a range extender, and open your car when you are far away from it. Simple equipment.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #55
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The thiefs will follow you with a range extender ... Simple equipment.
Will they? Well, "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.".

That still looks not about stealing the car, rather about getting into it "comfortably". A stone is yet a simpler equipment: no power supply, no need to follow you (to the bathroom). To steal the car they can use that range extender on your non-comfort key just as well I recon, can't they? (Where's my RFID blocker? )
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #56
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Will they? Well, "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.".

That still looks not about stealing the car, rather about getting into it "comfortably". A stone is yet a simpler equipment: no power supply, no need to follow you (to the bathroom). To steal the car they can use that range extender on your non-comfort key just as well I recon, can't they? (Where's my RFID blocker? )
The point is that you have to click the key in my pocket to make it work. The comfort access keeps answering all the time. This has been tested a lot, and it works.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #57
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The point is that you have to click the key in my pocket to make it work. The comfort access keeps answering all the time. This has been tested a lot, and it works.
I mean, doesn't your key "keep answering all the time" about engine start?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:11 PM   #58
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I mean, doesn't your key "keep answering all the time" about engine start?
It probably does, but then you have to get into the car to press the start button. This is easily done with the range extender on comfort access cars. And when they steal your car, there are no signs of forced entry, and you will get problems with the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 11:54 PM   #59
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
It probably does, but then you have to get into the car to press the start button. This is easily done with the range extender on comfort access cars. And when they steal your car, there are no signs of forced entry, and you will get problems with the insurance.
AFAIK, it's not as difficult to get into the car as to start the engine. BMW Roadside Assistance includes the car opening service, incidentally.

Of course they won't smash a window if they want to steal the car: there are gentler methods. But if they want to steal something from the car they won't send a sexy girl to "extend your range" and get the key. Although I heard of cautious thieves that reportedly used the old "man in the middle" (signal interception/substitution) non-comfort key attack to disembowel cars with no trace of intrusion.

Comfort access only extends the vulnerability, it does not introduce it. (But I'm not looking for it anyway. )

Last edited by No one; 10-14-2016 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Added a link.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:02 AM   #60
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Here is one of many tests of how easy this is:
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/study-...ignition-hack/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:55 AM   #61
nelsonian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FGXR6T, M140i

Quote:

You is Sydney, Melbourne? This must be one of the first M140i in Australia then? Mine's due next month hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #62
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
You is Sydney, Melbourne? This must be one of the first M140i in Australia then? Mine's due next month hopefully.
Yes I am from Sydney. It was an issue getting the car registered and insured as its not listed on any vehicle databases with the RMS and insurers. What colour did you order?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:02 AM   #63
nelsonian101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: FGXR6T, M140i

Quote:
Yes I am from Sydney. It was an issue getting the car registered and insured as its not listed on any vehicle databases with the RMS and insurers. What colour did you order?
White. Red leather interior. Will be turning it into a circuit car in a few years.

Would be very keen to see your M140i.
Any mods planned?

Bring it down to Winton on November 5th!

I'll be there in my Turbo Taxi.

http://www.circuitclub.com.au/event/83
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #64
jaze55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonian101 View Post
White. Red leather interior. Will be turning it into a circuit car in a few years.

Would be very keen to see your M140i.
Any mods planned?

Bring it down to Winton on November 5th!

I'll be there in my Turbo Taxi.

http://www.circuitclub.com.au/event/83
No mods planned, maybe a bmw performance exhaust to bring it to life. I am content with the car it has ample power for a daily driver. I had a 135i coupe previously and after jb4 everything let go and was an expensive exercise to repair.

I will not be tracking this car, I had my fair share of fun with my Japanese cars which are cheap cars to repair and maintain.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 08:25 PM   #65
Laulau
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

I am thinking of getting a M140i and was wandering what is the best drive away price have anyone achieved in obtaining in Australia or Melbourne to be precise.

Wife said M240i looks prettier but at additional 10k.

Currently mind set on Mineral Grey/Coral Red or Alpine White/Coral Red.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #66
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

MMMmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laulau View Post
I am thinking of getting a M140i and was wandering what is the best drive away price have anyone achieved in obtaining in Australia or Melbourne to be precise.

Wife said M240i looks prettier but at additional 10k.

Currently mind set on Mineral Grey/Coral Red or Alpine White/Coral Red.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Really like both those colour combinations. For climates where its hot and sunny and doesn't rain a lot, Alpine White would be my preference, with the darkest windows possible
Appreciate 0