BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Movies! The movie thread

03-20-2023, 07:29 AM   #4863
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

We watched Babylon last night. I don't like to tell people not to watch something because different strokes for different folks. When I saw the trailer I thought it might be entertaining, it wasn't. I got the feeling they didn't know what they wanted to do with it. It almost seemed frantic at times and it goes in several different directions, frankly I wish I had saved the 3 hours to watch something else.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42232.00
      03-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #4864
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW E92 M3

I watched a Mel Gibson/Vince Vaughn B-level movie called Dragged Across Concrete.

I thought it was pretty good for what it was, but man did it have a really messed up scene in it with a new mother going to work for her first day. I thought she was just going to be a hostage, but nope......
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 11:05 AM   #4865
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
We watched Babylon last night. I don't like to tell people not to watch something because different strokes for different folks. When I saw the trailer I thought it might be entertaining, it wasn't. I got the feeling they didn't know what they wanted to do with it. It almost seemed frantic at times and it goes in several different directions, frankly I wish I had saved the 3 hours to watch something else.
This one is available to me at the present time for a cheap price but after reading this I think I'll wait until it's free.
      03-20-2023, 11:12 AM   #4866
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

So watching Dune again, and it's infuriating that they (ok the writer) couldn't come up w a better betrayal (why/how it happened), it's totally illogical and not realistic, one dude can do that much damage and no one knew until it was too late? I mean, cmon....not very believable how it went down.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 11:36 AM   #4867
Th3DarkSide
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
So watching Dune again, and it's infuriating that they (ok the writer) couldn't come up w a better betrayal (why/how it happened), it's totally illogical and not realistic, one dude can do that much damage and no one knew until it was too late? I mean, cmon....not very believable how it went down.
Gotta read the book. It’s better anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:19 PM   #4868
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M4 View Post
Gotta read the book. It’s better anyway
For sure, but I already saw the movies, so it's too late for me, not that I have time to devour novels.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 07:33 PM   #4869
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

Quote:
Who are you referring? The guy that hid in the wall? or the doctor who poisoned them?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:20 PM   #4870
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut Lord View Post
Who are you referring? The guy that hid in the wall? or the doctor who poisoned them?
Dr Yeuh (sp?), ridiculous he could singlehandedly do all that (I've only seen the films, maybe the book is more convincing).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:43 PM   #4871
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

Quote:
Dr Yeuh (sp?), ridiculous he could singlehandedly do all that (I've only seen the films, maybe the book is more convincing).
What parts exactly if you can refresh my memory?

I have only seen it fully once when it first came out. From my memory, the doctor just parallelizes the main people and turns off the defensive system while they are sleeping.

What is unbelievable is such a huge army doesn't have extensive people watching while most are sleeping, that is like army base 101. and he is already paranoid about the emperor and harkanan.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:56 PM   #4872
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

***SPOILER RE DUNE***

Quote:
What parts exactly if you can refresh my memory?

I have only seen it fully once when it first came out. From my memory, the doctor just parallelizes the main people and turns off the defensive system while they are sleeping.

What is unbelievable is such a huge army doesn't have extensive people watching while most are sleeping, that is like army base 101. and he is already paranoid about the emperor and harkanan.
Pretty much the bolded and that the Dr Yeuh guy can do it all by himself, so freaking unbelievable. The WHY he would betray Atriedes when any fool should know that his wife is pretty much already dead, and the HOW of so easily doing it.

Exactly, they *knew* it's a trap, you'd think they would be freaking on-guard but nope, everyone decided to have a slumber party! Also, this en masse sleepover happened *after* they found that holed-up Harkonnen assassin dude launching poison darts everywhere, I mean, cmon!!! LOL.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #4873
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
It looks like garbage, and you're right, it looks frantic. Hard pass.

I'll watch PREY because I love a Predator movie but yeah, not feeling it.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 10:17 AM   #4874
Fishee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i MSport

Quote:
***SPOILER RE DUNE***

Pretty much the bolded and that the Dr Yeuh guy can do it all by himself, so freaking unbelievable. The WHY he would betray Atriedes when any fool should know that his wife is pretty much already dead, and the HOW of so easily doing it.

Exactly, they *knew* it's a trap, you'd think they would be freaking on-guard but nope, everyone decided to have a slumber party! Also, this en masse sleepover happened *after* they found that holed-up Harkonnen assassin dude launching poison darts everywhere, I mean, cmon!!! LOL.

Dune is a pretty weak jesus story, full of poor writing... but with enough suspension of disbelief, it's a fun watch.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 07:50 PM   #4875
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishee View Post
Dune is a pretty weak jesus story, full of poor writing... but with enough suspension of disbelief, it's a fun watch.
"Weak Jesus" haha

I just had an itch to rewatch it since I think Part 2 is coming out this year....will they milk it and make a Part 3? 2 parts should be enough imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 10:11 PM   #4876
Donut Lord
Do Donuts
Rep

Quote:
"Weak Jesus" haha

I just had an itch to rewatch it since I think Part 2 is coming out this year....will they milk it and make a Part 3? 2 parts should be enough imo.
the Hobbit would like a word with you
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17880.00
      03-23-2023, 06:41 PM   #4877
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I watched the Resident with Hilarie Swank and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Freaky stuff, but so many unanswered and unnecessary things in the film. Like the grandfather August. Clearly, he emotionally abuses Max (Dean Morgan), but I almost got the vibe that he inherited this creepy stalking lifestyle from August as alluded to the bizarre second meeting of Juliet (Swank) and him when she thought he gave her a gift.
True, no idea what Chris Lee was doing there, wasted his talents. It was a decent enough movie but the most scary thing was that she thought $3,600/mth was a bargain! I don't care if she makes, say, $200K as a surgeon, that is still some srs waste of $$$ and a huge %age of her salary....do ppl really live like that, spending that much $$ on rent? Or, heck, rent at all? That is just insane.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2023, 06:49 PM   #4878
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
True, no idea what Chris Lee was doing there, wasted his talents. It was a decent enough movie but the most scary thing was that she thought $3,600/mth was a bargain! I don't care if she makes, say, $200K as a surgeon, that is still some srs waste of $$$ and a huge %age of her salary....do ppl really live like that, spending that much $$ on rent? Or, heck, rent at all? That is just insane.
2021 spending as a percentage of total spending in the States, by income quintile:

Americans spend a substantial percentage of their after-tax income on housing. That's been the case since this country's remarkable inflation from the mid-1970s to the early 1980s. This phenomenon is now baked-into the system, and you have to work at it to win that part of the game. As always, my 2¢.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 08:18 PM   #4879
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
2021 spending as a percentage of total spending in the States, by income quintile:

Americans spend a substantial percentage of their after-tax income on housing. That's been the case since this country's remarkable inflation from the mid-1970s to the early 1980s. This phenomenon is now baked-into the system, and you have to work at it to win that part of the game. As always, my 2¢.
Ya, but 'housing' needs to differentiate between mortgage and renting, and I'm talking about the craziness of renting at the figure in that movie.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 07:46 PM   #4880
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

LET'S GO!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 08:25 PM   #4881
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Watched "Nope" last night. Didn't really like it. Maybe some folks did, but I didn't.

So I'll have to say...

03-24-2023, 09:43 PM   #4882
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I'm always down for some Sci-fi

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 07:04 PM   #4883
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I'm always down for some Sci-fi

I really love apocalyptic [alien] flicks.
Appreciate 3
Esteban42232.00
M5Rick58905.00
      03-25-2023, 08:20 PM   #4884
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I really love apocalyptic [alien] flicks.
I do too. Loved the Tom Cruise movie. Even liked the original with Gene Barry. Saw it when I was a kid and thought it was pretty exciting. Hope this new one lives up to the two earlier versions.