BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Rattle/vibration - dashboard drivers side, f20 (2017)

05-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
ShadowF20
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series F20 2017

Angry Rattle/vibration - dashboard drivers side, f20 (2017)

Hi Guys.

RE: VIBRATION/RATTLE DEEP INSIDE DRIVERS SIDE DASHBOARD ON LATE 2017 F20.

Brief background: I have a late 2017, F20 116d Shadow Edition so with M-Sport package and run-flats (therefore ride stability is expected to be harsh).

I have a rattle coming from deep inside the dash on the drivers side.

This vibration or rattle;

- Occurs on slightly corrugated road surfaces i.e. minor and repetitive bumps;
- It's getting slightly louder with age;
- It doesn't seem to be the steering column cowling;
- It doesn't appear to emanate from the door;
- Has no relation to the speaker system;
- Does not seem to have anything to do with the i-drive console;
- Does not come from the passenger side glove box like referenced elsewhere.
- Doesn't have anything to do with window seal, centre console or drivers grab handle.

It does seem like its coming from the right side area BEHIND the dash, over towards the air-vent - someone else mentioned this and I agree.

Crucially, I experienced the exact same issue on a 2016 116d ED plus that I had as a company car from new. Therefore, I would strongly assume there are quite a few of you suffering from this same probelem.

Some say it's got something to do with warranty enhancement work on the battery lead so would appreciate insight there?

So, if anyone has any ideas on this dashboard void rattle - I could really do with some pointers!!!

Finally, and in the interests of contributing on understanding of other rattles, I can share the following.

- The centre armrest will rattle, but only if fully extended.
I have placed a windscreen anti fog chamois sponge on its side in the storage area - this puts pressure on the lid and stops, dulls down the rattle.

- A rattle up by the B pillar; I identified this was the grab handle up by the drivers head - just needs some sort of insulator fur tape? on the point of contact.

- The rubber grommets on the engine covers - especially on the 116d's wear out in no time. Thus the cover will rattle. (Fixed under warranty).

- Exhaust rattles badly on start and warm up (116 ED plus) - traced to a exhaust coupling not holding exhaust within tolerance, fixed under warranty
but necessitated the exhaust being removed for an up-rated enhancement (rebuild - of the mount) to the exhaust coupling. Fixed the issue.

That's it, apologies to all for the essay.

Regards - Shadow F20.
16/05/2020
Appreciate 0