BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Beauty and the Beast - 428i vs M135i

01-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Beauty and the Beast - 428i vs M135i

(i posted this in the F30 post area as well)

I was lucky enough to try a 4 series for a week in December, courtesy of Tony (BMW Cooper Tunbridge Wells).
Unfortunately, he didn’t have a 435i but did offer a 420d Xdrive or a 428i. I asked for the 428i . I decided to drive the 4 series only and left the M135i not the drive.

Ok, let's start of with the major plus, the looks. In M Sport guise this car is pretty, it's the sort of pretty that always made me look back at the car as I walked away, or peak through the window to see it parked. In contrast, for the first few months I never looked back at the M135i! At I point I can’t remember, I eventually grew to like the 1 series looks and do now give it admiring glances . However while I had the 428i on the drive, the M135i didn't get a look in…

The 428i looks wide and long with its rackesh bonnet, slimmer yet proposal headlights and jutting M Sort bumper. The swooping coupe roof line drops onto the boot lid with the M Sport kit adding aggressive angles, and i love it.

Engine and performance
Here is where the contest swings totally the other way. Let me get this out the way the 428i is a good petrol 4 cyclinder engine, but it's totally outclassed by 3l 6 cylinder. I found the 28i unit quit rough in contrast to the 35i at lower revs, but it pulls strongly (being turbo charged) and has surprising pull as the revs rise with more character then I was expecting. However, it's best driven at lower revs, utilisng that low down torque In a more relaxed manor (more on this later) as I found the higher rev noise a bit tiresome….

When ‘on it’ though, this engine really shifts and the car easily feels as fast as the official 0-60mph of 5.8s. Mated to the awesome and familar sport Auto ZF box, it's quick to respond to manual changes. However the down side of this is thirst, I was sitting at low 20s over a 40 mile trip!

I did notice though that in manual mode it would kick down or change up for me at the red line (something my M135i will not do, which will labour or crash into the limiter, bit of the M tweaking here I think)

So this is a credible alternative to the excellent BMW diesel engines, with more character, refinement and a higher red line, just with an economy trade off.

Handling
The 4 series feels and drives like a refined large GT (perhaps no surprise here, as it is!) I found the turn in considerable slower than the M135i, but it was well balanced through corners and gave lots of confidence. When I really pushed it, the car felt a far more heavier than the M135i, so much so, i went and looked up the kerb weight. I was shocked – it was only 40kg heavier than the M135i, it had felt more like 100-150kg (again I think this could be due to the M tweaking of the M135i suspension)

However, I soon calibrated to the 4 series and its best to be gentle and progressive (aligned to engine comment above). So covering some challenging B roads quickly, you flow from one corner to the next – the 4 series is still very enjoyable. The longer wheel base also helped the car have better composure than the M135i, with the ride noticeable better even on 19’s.

Refinement
This is where the 428i is in a class above the M135i. Some slight wind noise around the frameless windows, but overall I loved the refinement when cruising. The M135i has a touch too much wind and tyre noise for my liking, but then its smaller and lighter. I think the F32 is has moved a bit closer to the 6 series than the e92 was.

Interior.
Same great seats as the M135i, slightly wider instrument cluster (With a oil temp gauge yes! Such an omission on the M135i) and the similar driver focused dash, with a bit more aluminum over the centre vents. Current F20 & F3x are great places to be!

Overall.
I was very sad to see the 4 series to go, I had really bonded with it and loved its grown up GT looks, handling and refinement. Yet it could still be fun and reward keen driving. The M135i is much more Mr Hyde when you want to be a hooligan, but can do Dr. Jekyll pretty well, it will just never win a beauty contest So a 435i with the M performance goodies or M4 could well tempt me at some point….but then there is also the new M235i

01-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M235i might be the best compromise between the two
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

MMMmmmm

Hey TMP, very nice review and pictures. I am the owner of an M135i and simply love the car for its ability to cruise or hoon at the push of a button. But I agree wholeheartedly on the looks. Seen from certain angles the M looks quite lean and sporty but its no beauty, whereas the new 4 series is; especially in that blue.

The M135i is going to be a tough act to follow, but I believe BMW have it well covered with the new M3/M4. I reckon they're going to be spectacularly good.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Nice write up. I love the look of the 4 M-Sport.

My initial thoughts are how likely it is either of my two local BMW dealers are going to let me have one for a week to try out......
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

how did you find the steering wheel change going from the 4 to the 1?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Thanks for the comments guys

The steering wheel is lovely, and It's a shame it's not on the m135i. You soon forget when you are driving though
      01-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
JordW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 125d

I love the look of the new 4 series m sport! You were so lucky to get to test it for a week. The doors look really smart with the Estoril blue trims and I think the extra bit of blue trim under the centre vents really set the dash off well! Very good and informative write up/ comparison!
Appreciate 0