BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Eleven injured as vehicle crashes into bystanders at car meet

09-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #23
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I dunno, plenty of Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren offenders around here. Relatively speaking, of course, since those cars are rarer to begin with
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 04:34 PM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I do a monthly meet with a "VERY" small clique, were all pretty mature, I wanna grow it but as you said, just takes 1

I used to run a monthly Porsche region, 20-30 cars, all ages, and none of this ever happeced
I do think when you have more expensive vehicles, the cost of a mistake is much higher, so maybe you don’t have as many issues. I think it’s the less expensive cars (not always of course) with people who have something to prove. I see them every day when I drive my Porsche. The BRZ that thinks he’s racing me from a red light, the highly tuned WRX buzzing all over me like we’re WW2 fighter planes dogfighting or the (pick one - Mustang, Camaro, Challenger) doing the low gear flybys with their uncatted exhausts.

I haven’t forgotten where I’ve come from because I owned cars kind of like that, GTI, 135is, Mustang 5.0, and I drove fast, as I do now, but I never tried to harass anyone or do risky maneuvers.
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35134.50
nazali1303.00
///MPhatic13846.50
      09-26-2022, 05:30 PM   #25
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post

I absolutely hate drunk driving, even buzzed driving. And to hold anything auto at such a place is utterly stupid. I can't go to ANY local BMW meet because all of them are at bars.
Just curious why you feel so strongly about this. Before this escalates, I don’t even drink at all! So I’m not representing the drunk driving crowd. Just curious if you were directly impacted by drunk driving or if you adopted the black and white views of all the propaganda out there.

Again, for real, I don’t drink.

But it bugs me that each state can have a different limit. That proves there isn’t a known safe limit.

It also bugs me a passenger can’t have an open container. Pull the car over. If the driver blows a zero then there’s no harm. But that’s not the over zealous law.

What about a driver with a beer? Absolutely illegal but if that same driver had the single beer before getting in the car he’s under the limit and no problem.

It reminds me of the HS kids who got expelled for having Tylenol bc the school had a zero tolerance policy. Zero tolerance should mean “no warnings for having real illegal drugs” not losing your mind over an innocent kid with a headache.

It also reminds me of all the people who are aghast about drive thru liquor stores. You’ve heard the jokes. But liquor stores and bars are two different things. How do people get home with their alcohol purchases when they go inside to purchase? Why don’t people have an issue with liquor stores having parking lots?

All this to say, I’m all for prosecuting people who drive IMPAIRED but the whole “any alcohol is too much” belief is hysteria and doesn’t make anyone safer.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 07:04 PM   #26
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Porsche in any of these fail compilations, although I'm sure if you dig hard enough you can find one.

There's a certain amount of truth to stereotype demographics and the Porsche crowd, by and large, ain't the type to do this stuff (anymore)(on the streets). They've either gotten it out of their system or channel their urges to the proper venues - at the track.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
nazali1303.00
      09-27-2022, 09:58 AM   #27
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwspice View Post
But it bugs me that each state can have a different limit. That proves there isn’t a known safe limit.
If you don't have a 0.08 limit for DUI, you don't get Federal funds for highways and such.

So while theoretically they can, they don't.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #28
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's always the ricer cheap car crowd. Every single time.

Weekend morning cars & coffee you never see this. Higher end cars, owners are more educated and mature, the car is a hobby rather than a compensation tool for an unfulfilling life.

Maybe it's because I work on a college campus, but I see plenty of higher end cars being driven in an immature manner. Don't even get me started about the diesel bro-truck crowd, and many of those trucks are easily $100k+, so it isn't about the money.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      09-27-2022, 10:32 AM   #29
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Just curious why you feel so strongly about this.
I feel just as strongly about it, as well as phone distracted driving. It kills people, which is enough said.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
      09-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #30
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Just curious why you feel so strongly about this. Before this escalates, I don’t even drink at all! So I’m not representing the drunk driving crowd. Just curious if you were directly impacted by drunk driving or if you adopted the black and white views of all the propaganda out there.

Again, for real, I don’t drink.

It also bugs me a passenger can’t have an open container. Pull the car over. If the driver blows a zero then there’s no harm. But that’s not the over zealous law.

What about a driver with a beer? Absolutely illegal but if that same driver had the single beer before getting in the car he’s under the limit and no problem.

It reminds me of the HS kids who got expelled for having Tylenol bc the school had a zero tolerance policy. Zero tolerance should mean “no warnings for having real illegal drugs” not losing your mind over an innocent kid with a headache.

It also reminds me of all the people who are aghast about drive thru liquor stores. You’ve heard the jokes. But liquor stores and bars are two different things. How do people get home with their alcohol purchases when they go inside to purchase? Why don’t people have an issue with liquor stores having parking lots?

All this to say, I’m all for prosecuting people who drive IMPAIRED but the whole “any alcohol is too much” belief is hysteria and doesn’t make anyone safer.
You wrote all of that for no reason. Don't drive drunk or buzzed. Not that hard of a concept and a super weird hill for you to try to prove whatever point you're trying to make.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      09-27-2022, 11:30 AM   #31
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I’ve been to events like this and never go back. Unless it’s a large organized event I pass. I’ve got too Much to loose to these idiots.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      09-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #32
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
If you don't have a 0.08 limit for DUI, you don't get Federal funds for highways and such.

So while theoretically they can, they don't.
Interesting. It’s changed - I haven’t had any need to keep track but just looked it up and every state is now 0.08. Note that wasn’t always the case

https://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/nhtsa-policy-topics/blood-alcohol-concentration-limits/49/changes-over-time
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      09-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Maybe it's because I work on a college campus, but I see plenty of higher end cars being driven in an immature manner. Don't even get me started about the diesel bro-truck crowd, and many of those trucks are easily $100k+, so it isn't about the money.
Yeah but those spoiled kids whose parents bought them whatever expensive car aren't the ones at early morning weekend cars & coffee events. That's what I was getting at.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      09-27-2022, 12:48 PM   #34
IsleOfMs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
You wrote all of that for no reason. Don't drive drunk or buzzed. Not that hard of a concept and a super weird hill for you to try to prove whatever point you're trying to make.
The point is that the laws go after people who are not drunk or buzzed too. And the propaganda is so effective that the public accepts it. It’s similar to how people think child safety seats are a moral obligation but for kids over 2y/20lbs provide zero benefit in terms of injury or death (one of the Freakonomic books - independent crash tests).

This conversation reminds me of the same well meaning but hysterical overreactions such as “I won’t go to any event held at a bar” by the OP. If DUI is as ubiquitous as he suggests, bars would not have parking lots and could only legally be reached by cab or bus. The fact is millions of people safely and responsibility drive to a bar and then back home all the time. I respectfully suggest you could attend one of those events, and could tell if anyone should not be driving afterwards and offer them rides or help steer them to an Uber. But you’d probably find that hardly any (if not zero) of them weren’t fully safe to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 12:59 PM   #35
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
The point is that the laws go after people who are not drunk or buzzed too. And the propaganda is so effective that the public accepts it. It’s similar to how people think child safety seats are a moral obligation but for kids over 2y/20lbs provide zero benefit in terms of injury or death (one of the Freakonomic books - independent crash tests).

This conversation reminds me of the same well meaning but hysterical overreactions such as “I won’t go to any event held at a bar” by the OP. If DUI is as ubiquitous as he suggests, bars would not have parking lots and could only legally be reached by cab or bus. The fact is millions of people safely and responsibility drive to a bar and then back home all the time. I respectfully suggest you could attend one of those events, and could tell if anyone should not be driving afterwards and offer them rides or help steer them to an Uber. But you’d probably find that hardly any (if not zero) of them weren’t fully safe to drive.
You're turning this into some big thing when it really isn't. He was clearly giving a personal anecdote and you've managed to create this huge strawman for literally no reason.

You sound like an edgy college kid
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #36
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Never been to a cars and coffee. However here in NC about once a month they have what they call a cruise in. I love it and usually go anytime they have it and I'm here. It's mostly classic cars though, but some more modern cars or modern classics come in from time to time. I would say it's still 90% classic cars and mostly American muscle cars. I enjoy it and sometimes get to see some weird ass cars show up.

Considering all the mustangs that go to this event I should surely have been run over by now, but never experienced any shenanigans while I've been there. It's a long event so I have never been there from start to finish, but I doubt anything is going on. It's pretty much all old guys so that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:28 PM   #37
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I loved going to car shows in the 90's (CCI - Capri Club International) and I don't remember any of these kinda antics, car revving, of course LOL

And I don't wanna be a killjoy, but people spend 100's of hours and $1000's of dollars on there cars, not to mention the cost of there car... NO wait, it's mummies or daddies car according to insurance

You spend hours detailing your car, not even letting a dirty wash mitt touch the car, cosset your car, and yet you trash it ? I don't get the mentality

Risk there licence, even jail time and death any injury? I don't understand it.

(see the BMW at 0.38sec mark)

I saw a few video's taken at Bimmerfest's and you wonder if any spectators are gonna get hurt. I mean some cars are in the 50k mark.

I can't even consider doing a wheel spin and having to replace a clucth, diff or blown tire, Not to mention, the road racing fine here in Canada, which will see your car impounded for sure, 6 points on your licence,up to a 5k fine and even jail time.

-------------------------------------
BELOW VIDEO IS NOT THE INCIDENT JUST AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I'VE SEEN ON YOUTUBE

Eleven people have been injured - including some seriously - after a vehicle crashed into bystanders at a car meet.

A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving following the incident in Scunthorpe.

Police were called to reports of a collision at an industrial estate on Saturday night.

Humberside Police said 11 were injured during the incident at Flixborough Industrial Estate.

He said a 17-year-old had been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.
Too much power, not enough brains. Every single generation has it's vehicular a$$hats. This generation has the FandF movies and way too much horsepower added to the mix.
Appreciate 1
nazali1303.00
      09-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #38
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

.08 is a per se violation fyi
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #39
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
.08 is a per se violation fyi
And? Tell a cop at a DUI checkpoint you made it there just fine the last 15 miles. You're still getting arrested.

I find it interesting that this is being discussed since there is a huge topic on GRM right now about the NTSB suggesting in the future all new cars come equipped with a passive device for detecting impaired driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 03:42 PM   #40
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
And? Tell a cop at a DUI checkpoint you made it there just fine the last 15 miles. You're still getting arrested.

I find it interesting that this is being discussed since there is a huge topic on GRM right now about the NTSB suggesting in the future all new cars come equipped with a passive device for detecting impaired driving.
someone above was arguing that there at different BACs thresholds?

.08 u are arressted period

.01 and commit a traffic violation still can be dui. i know a strech but it can be arugued that alcohol caused the violation
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:48 PM   #41
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
someone above was arguing that there at different BACs thresholds?

.08 u are arressted period

.01 and commit a traffic violation still can be dui. i know a strech but it can be arugued that alcohol caused the violation
He wasn't arguing, he was just saying he was frustrated that varies by state.

I told him that in reality it doesn't, because if you don't set it at .08 the Feds withhold funding. So there is a de facto national DUI limit.

Much how the Feds got Montana to put speed limits on the highways in the eastern part of the state, the threat to withhold funds.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:56 PM   #42
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's always the ricer cheap car crowd. Every single time.

Weekend morning cars & coffee you never see this. Higher end cars, owners are more educated and mature, the car is a hobby rather than a compensation tool for an unfulfilling life.
Better check you tube homie. Plenty of fucking morons driving 200K+ cars and smashing them up all over the place. I love watching them
Appreciate 3
nazali1303.00
540iSUP704.00
      09-28-2022, 07:16 AM   #43
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

small correction, not the OP (i.e. me) but somone above did say that
txs

Quote:
This conversation reminds me of the same well meaning but hysterical overreactions such as “I won’t go to any event held at a bar” by the OP. If DUI is as ubiquitous as he suggests, bars would not have parking lots and could only legally be reached by cab or bus. The fact is millions of people safely and responsibility drive to a bar and then back home all the time. I respectfully suggest you could attend one of those events, and could tell if anyone should not be driving afterwards and offer them rides or help steer them to an Uber.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #44
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

well the world is full of idiots and even we make mistakes. aint nothing gunna fix the stupidity
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00