BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Android Head Unit Questions

01-10-2024, 03:38 PM   #1
NiKRuLeZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series

Question BMW Android Head Unit Questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey all

I'm looking to upgrade my OEM head unit with a potential Android based head unit. Just to clarify, I'm specifically looking at a head unit with Android installed directly on it ... so not a MMI unit.

Few crucial questions I wanted to ask:

1) Sound - After doing some research online, it seems like the most common way to connect the head unit to the car speakers is via AUX or if the car doesn't have this then it's USB located in the armrest compartment. Is there any other way to connect the audio that comes out from the head unit to the car speakers? I'd prefer not to have the armrest USB port to be used for this. So in other words, can the head unit (connection from the rear or where the connection ports are located) be used to plug in the audio somehow to the car speakers?

2) What's peoples thoughts about using the GPS splitter to leverage the cars GPS as opposed to the GPS antenna provided along with the head unit. Does it work just as well or is the dedicated antenna better?

3) Does anyone know if the 4G antenna that usually comes along with the head unit also contain the wifi too?

TIA!

Nik
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 06:01 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

1. As far as I know, audio is only via Aux in the arm rest. You can't send audio via the USB. Get the higher end models with DSP, sound is pretty decent (but my hearing may be a bit damaged from years of V8 straight pipe abuse lol)

2. Absolutely use a GPS splitter so you can use the stock GPS antenna. I do this. GPS lock is much much faster than using the provided GPS antenna cable.

3. No idea here.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 06:31 PM   #3
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
1. As far as I know, audio is only via Aux in the arm rest. You can't send audio via the USB.
Yes you can. In the second generation 1 Series (F20, F21) the USB in the armrest is an audio interface: see the manual, page 189.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 06:34 PM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Yes you can. In the second generation 1 Series (F20, F21) the USB in the armrest is an audio interface: see the manual, page 189.
Ah ok. I'm referring only to E9x. But good to know.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 06:45 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Ah ok. I'm referring only to E9x. But good to know.
Actually, I have to correct myself: the devices/formats attached to the USB must be recognized. For pure streaming of whatever sound you have (the case in question, as I get it) there's only the AUX indeed.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:08 AM   #6
NiKRuLeZ
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series

Quote:
1. As far as I know, audio is only via Aux in the arm rest. You can't send audio via the USB. Get the higher end models with DSP, sound is pretty decent (but my hearing may be a bit damaged from years of V8 straight pipe abuse lol)
Ugh, this is highly annoying! Is there really no other way to hook into the car speakers? I just don't want to route any wire whatsoever to the armrest from the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:08 AM   #7
e90Dawg08
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3

The wire routing is clean and easy to the armrest. Go under the center console by your shifter, through the e-brake housing and in through the little vent (dremel out 1-2 bars in vent "grille"). No wires are visible.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 05:59 PM   #8
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah. Route it inside the center console itself. There's actually a rubber storage tray inside the center arm rest, and below that tray are some holes. The aux cable comes out the edge of the rubber tray, right beside the aux hole. You only have about 1-2 inches of exposed aux cable inside the arm rest. Nothing is exposed outside. Let me get some pics later.

Edit - Pic added.
Attached Images

Last edited by Redd; 01-12-2024 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0