BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Retrofit Android System

10-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #23
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: The blur Marvel

Spotify, DAB+ software and some random movies and youtube...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
lt.Gruber
Rep
Drives: f20 118i

where?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Try again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:57 PM   #26
lt.Gruber
Rep
Drives: f20 118i

It actually looks nicer then I expected, DAB+ looks quite nice now and I guess it makes more sense to get Graviton unit for 7000 instead of DAB+ adapter for 3000
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #27
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.Gruber View Post
It actually looks nicer then I expected, DAB+ looks quite nice now and I guess it makes more sense to get Graviton unit for 7000 instead of DAB+ adapter for 3000
You're right. It's worth it when you compare like that. There's so much more to this system. Much better sound too due to processing and with upgraded speakers it will be a really nice system!
I will do some more testing over the next couple of days, and also try to get an OBDII bluetooth dongle and install Torque... should be a nice addition too for keeping an eye on things
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #28
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue 116d View Post
So what did my car have before I installed this fake CIC?
NBT or CIC interface defines what this thing (which is not a fake NBT or CIC itself - it's a "fake" display for those) is compatible with to retain the car's infotainment functionality. That is, you don't lose your iDrive display to reset your tyre pressure control system, for instance, when you replace the factory display with it. If it fails to comply it will be essentially the same as a smartphone or a navigation device - detached from your car but replacing the display you actually want to retain.

Your car had (and still has - you didn't remove it, I suppose?) a Radio BMW Professional infotainment, not a CIC retrofitted - the unit you pictured.

It made me wonder how iDrive and steering wheel controls happened to work with this thing seamlessly: no way the car's factory display processed user input , of course it was only a display! Now I guess I see: they intercept the input signals on their way to the car's head unit and display the response from either the car or the device itself depending on your current view.

So I have a few integration questions, just from curiosity :
  • Does touchscreen work with the iDrive menu?

• Once you've used iDrive or steering wheel buttons with this device (whatever Android application) and you turn back to displaying your iDrive menu - does the menu remain the same you left turning to the application or has it responded to your user input in the background?

• Can you play music on both the car's head unit and this device simultaneously? Will you hear a mix?

Last edited by No one; 10-07-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #29
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Once you've used iDrive or steering wheel buttons with this device (whatever Android application) and you turn back to displaying your iDrive menu - does the menu remain the same you left turning to the application or has it responded to your user input in the background?
This mustn't be the case, of course, as you would inadvertently change the car's settings. My idea of how it works is still too far from perfect - the connections should be reviewed, perhaps, but I'm not that curious.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #30
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Once you've used iDrive or steering wheel buttons with this device (whatever Android application) and you turn back to displaying your iDrive menu - does the menu remain the same you left turning to the application or has it responded to your user input in the background?
This mustn't be the case, of course, as you would inadvertently change the car's settings. My idea of how it works is still too far from perfect - the connections should be reviewed, perhaps, but I'm not that curious.
When I use iDrive the adroid system responds and «behind» that the iDrive is where I left it.

The other stuff you asked - I will have to check it out...
Appreciate 1
No one1029.50
      10-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #31
Estoril Blue 116d
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
NBT or CIC interface defines what this thing (which is not a fake NBT or CIC itself - it's a "fake" display for those) is compatible with to retain the car's infotainment functionality. That is, you don't lose your iDrive display to reset your tyre pressure control system, for instance, when you replace the factory display with it. If it fails to comply it will be essentially the same as a smartphone or a navigation device - detached from your car but replacing the display you actually want to retain.

Your car had (and still has - you didn't remove it, I suppose?) a Radio BMW Professional infotainment, not a CIC retrofitted - the unit you pictured.

It made me wonder how iDrive and steering wheel controls happened to work with this thing seamlessly: no way the car's factory display processed user input , of course it was only a display! Now I guess I see: they intercept the input signals on their way to the car's head unit and display the response from either the car or the device itself depending on your current view.

• Once you've used iDrive or steering wheel buttons with this device (whatever Android application) and you turn back to displaying your iDrive menu - does the menu remain the same you left turning to the application or has it responded to your user input in the background?

• Can you play music on both the car's head unit and this device simultaneously? Will you hear a mix?
I've had the system now for a good week now more or less and I've gotten rid of all the small nags that we're caused to setup and me fiddling too much around :-)

Does touchscreen work with the iDrive menu?
No. When you're in the old iDrive meny I use the iDrive wheel and buttons. The're is a small icon on the iDrive screen you can touch and you're back to the touch screen or you can press the back button on the iDrive on the console.

It's rather strange. Sometimes when using the touch screen it does affect the iDrive meny and sometimes it doesn't. I've found no logic to it. Most often it's stuck at last page in the "Mulitmedia" menu and I just push the main meny on the iDrive and I'm back to the first page of the iDrive screen.
It doesn't really bother me as I'm not often in the iDrive meny anyways. I thought it could be a problem if I somehow when using the iDrive wheel "out on the touch screen" were to enter the car settings or did a reset or something, but no matter where I left the iDrive menus to go to the touch screen would it be in the car settings when I returned. It's mostly on radio or multimedia when I return to the iDrive menu. It could be me missing a setting somewhere.

Can you play music on both the car's head unit and this device simultaneously? Will you hear a mix?
Yes, if I forget to turn off f. ex. DAB+ OR push the iDrive back button twice to exit the DAB+ app and go to Bluetooth and stream music there will be a mix. That I believe could be down to settings.

On a final note I'm extremely pleased with this system. So many options! And the versability is just great.
The screen is big and the "wannabe new styled tiles are beautiful to just have sitting there on the screen. The spotify app is great, the GPS build-in navigation is great too, the sound processing way better than before, the DAB+ app works as expected (although the antenna that came with the system is crap and so I ordered the best possible DAB+ window antenna out there), there's a better solution for when I'm reversing with proximity guidelines and not just the dots that turns yellow or red when I'm approaching obstacles and it a sweet upgrade. There will be a mojor update out soon and the said I would be stoked to see the new features...

So for those wondering; No it's not as flawless or perfect like BMW's native system, but in many ways it's better
Appreciate 1
No one1029.50
      12-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #32
UOF20
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 2011 116i 5 door

Hi all, I have a question regarding retrofitting an android navigation (just like the one above) into my BMW f20 2011. I bought a good-looking Android navigation and was all ready for installation, the only problem is that my car does not have factory navigation nor a factory screen... So the tray/panel/area where the navigation is placed does not have the two block parts in order to slide the navigation in. Does anyone have an idea on how to install the navigation? Do I have to replace my entire dashboard? Is it even possible to get integrated navigation in my car?

Please see photos to understand what I mean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #33
Tullan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120i F20

I just picked up a brand new 120i.
I havn't got an AUX, only USB.

Is there a way around that?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #34
Flyvron
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i 2011

Coika Android Head - iDrive Problem

Quote:

That's exactly what happened to me....
I ordered a CIC and it didn't work, the manufacturer (Coika) exchanged the unit with an NBT.
Now it's almost working but not the rear gear (no sensor popup) and when I move the iDrive controller it moves in the Android and in the BMW System.
I've a BMW Series 1 116i F20 of 2011.
I think it's a MCU problem dialogue with CanBus, and I don't know how to solve it...

Head info:
Version: BMWID_OS_1.29
MCU: Z00_B0_Y8_181105A

MCU:
View post on imgur.com

Secret1:
View post on imgur.com

Sys1:
View post on imgur.com

Sys2:
View post on imgur.com

MCU File: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...34513943318846

They also provide me a Android System update and a MCU update, but nothing changed, always the same problem.

Do you have any ideas guys?
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #35
zeocool
Rep
Drives: bmw f21

Garage List
2013 bmw 118d  [0.00]
I used unique auto developments

they has a solution that allows you to keep all stock equipment and adds dvd/ android auto and apple carplay in on easy install
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #36
Nolan1985
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Hi everyone, not sure if anyone has a solution for this, think it's been mentioned in the thread but can't find any answers to a fix.

I've recently installs an android 10 10.25 head unit, think I've got everything set up correctly on it but I've noticed when I switch back from the android side to the idrive side it's always on a different screen (almost as if my idrive controller is still controlling the idrive screen behind the android side)
I've noticed a lot of the time I switch across to the idrive side I'm on the 'Tone' menu and all the settings in there are reset.

Is it possible I'm controlling it in the background behind the android side? Or have I got something set up wrong like the CAN Protocol? ( when setting up initially I noticed changing the CAN Protocol altered which menu I would be on when switching back from android to iDrive)

I've tried swapping choices on CAN Protocol and Car Display to see if anything fixed the problem bit I can't figure it out

Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0