BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > China’s Built a Road So Smart It Will Be Able to Charge Your Car
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
403
Rep
1,521
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Smile China’s Built a Road So Smart It Will Be Able to Charge Your Car

The future is coming
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...rs-on-the-move
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1334
Rep
4,707
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Holy crap... if the US can't even maintain asphalt roads without potholes - imagine the crazy maintenance and expenses related to repairing sections of highways with wires, charging pads, solar panels and sensors in it.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 1
glennQNYC3578.00

      03-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
Real Dodger's Avatar
United_States
5664
Rep
6,840
Posts

Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2017
Location: McKinney TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Does it "block" facebook and winnie the pooh?
__________________
Renegade of Funk
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
tuco44's Avatar
Canada
574
Rep
2,254
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Canada

iTrader: (0)

I can hardly wait................
__________________
2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn Sunset Orange
Previous BMWs - 19 others since 1971.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
WestRace
Lieutenant
209
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Los Angels, Ca.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
To me it's another "pie in the sky". They are like "super cars" of road construction. It's cool and fancy but not practical. The reason China can do it is because their labor cost is so low - not has anything to do with their technological advantage. It's just another "pet project" for foreign investors.

It's similar to high speed train. The reason we don't have it here is because the cost does not justify the benefits.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1649
Rep
5,148
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
As someone who has been in solar for over 10+ years. Have fun with that.

A MASSIVE cost of upkeep + it is literally the stupidest place to put them. Extremely inefficient.

The solar roads people in the states were a joke, this is too. This is NOT a new idea, very old and still very stupid.

Both China and the US has MASSIVE expanses of land they can put solar on. Energy distribution DC or AC is well understood and simple(enough). If we wanted we could power each time zone with 4-8 plants and just run HVDC all over the globe. Boom free energy from the sun.


You need this much solar to power all of the USA:



put a few of those red blocks in each time zone a few north a few south to account for weather. run HVDC.
__________________
E92 ACF ST 6466 + Meth Motiv / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD / E90 PTF retired

Originally Posted by TheAxiom FYI - I don't drive hard at all. So I'm not interested in more clamping force when I won't use it. Even on my car, I take it easy. It's just too loud to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
98
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
As someone who has been in solar for over 10+ years. Have fun with that.

A MASSIVE cost of upkeep + it is literally the stupidest place to put them. Extremely inefficient.

The solar roads people in the states were a joke, this is too. This is NOT a new idea, very old and still very stupid.

Both China and the US has MASSIVE expanses of land they can put solar on. Energy distribution DC or AC is well understood and simple(enough). If we wanted we could power each time zone with 4-8 plants and just run HVDC all over the globe. Boom free energy from the sun.


You need this much solar to power all of the USA:



put a few of those red blocks in each time zone a few north a few south to account for weather. run HVDC.
So is solar panels the future? I wonder if its a good business...
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #8
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1649
Rep
5,148
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
So is solar panels the future? I wonder if its a good business...
Energy storage is the future. Making energy is easy. Storing it is hard. Storing power is key to so much moving forward be it electric vehicles or getting off natural gas and oil.
__________________
E92 ACF ST 6466 + Meth Motiv / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD / E90 PTF retired

Originally Posted by TheAxiom FYI - I don't drive hard at all. So I'm not interested in more clamping force when I won't use it. Even on my car, I take it easy. It's just too loud to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #9
10"
Captain
10"'s Avatar
1487
Rep
929
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

reminds me of that other 'idea' they had which was found to be IMPOSSIBLE after they tried it LOL.

the mega bus!!!!

__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
allinon72
Captain
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
778
Rep
855
Posts

Drives: 15' M3, 17' X1
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (0)

Maybe on a select road here and there, but this mainly belongs in the flying cars category, with the article being in the clickbait category.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #11
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
522
Rep
11,260
Posts

Drives: 16 MKVII Golf,16 F15 X5,E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Upland, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
What if a person has a heart pacemaker? Maybe it can interfere with the pacemaker signal.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
x3sm
Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
98
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post

You need this much solar to power all of the USA:



put a few of those red blocks in each time zone a few north a few south to account for weather. run HVDC.
Can you explain that a little more? What is the red square represent? a solar panel field?
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #13
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1649
Rep
5,148
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Can you explain that a little more? What is the red square represent? a solar panel field?
Correct. Red square powers entire USA. However, you have to account for weather, different times of the year, sun hits the west and east cost differently etc. So you would need to have multiple red squares across each time zone the the majority to the south for when the earth is tilted away from the sun like during the winter. We have the space, tons of space.

Using UHVDC like we do across ocean floors we could send the energy very efficiently across the NA continent.

The real kicker is this: If the whole world bought in, we would be sending the energy to the dark side of the planet while the light side is generating the energy and it would be a constant flow of solar energy around the planet...which already happens, we just do not harness any of the solar radiation and most just goes into warming up the earth and shining in our eyes.

I mean you really need energy storage as well but this would work with the technology we have today. We and MANY countries have PLENTY of open unused space. China, Russia, USA, Maxico. Lots of open unused space to harvest solar energy.

There is never enough of the earth covered by clouds that this would not work, especially with some energy storage.

Now this would be a MASSIVE undertaking and politically insane to get passed as countries always want to monitize it and do not think about the greater good. Imagine free energy for all via solar.
__________________
E92 ACF ST 6466 + Meth Motiv / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD / E90 PTF retired

Originally Posted by TheAxiom FYI - I don't drive hard at all. So I'm not interested in more clamping force when I won't use it. Even on my car, I take it easy. It's just too loud to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
403
Rep
1,521
Posts

Drives: 2015 M$4 F82
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (2)

Fiction, its cheaper to use panels on roofs, not going to happen anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1649
Rep
5,148
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Fiction, its cheaper to use panels on roofs, not going to happen anytime soon.
Technically ground mounts are the least expensive, specifically utility scale, but yes, roads are DUMB AF for solar.
__________________
E92 ACF ST 6466 + Meth Motiv / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD / E90 PTF retired

Originally Posted by TheAxiom FYI - I don't drive hard at all. So I'm not interested in more clamping force when I won't use it. Even on my car, I take it easy. It's just too loud to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #16
TomHudson
Captain
428
Rep
845
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Correct. Red square powers entire USA. However, you have to account for weather, different times of the year, sun hits the west and east cost differently etc. So you would need to have multiple red squares across each time zone the the majority to the south for when the earth is tilted away from the sun like during the winter. We have the space, tons of space.

Using UHVDC like we do across ocean floors we could send the energy very efficiently across the NA continent.

The real kicker is this: If the whole world bought in, we would be sending the energy to the dark side of the planet while the light side is generating the energy and it would be a constant flow of solar energy around the planet...which already happens, we just do not harness any of the solar radiation and most just goes into warming up the earth and shining in our eyes.

I mean you really need energy storage as well but this would work with the technology we have today. We and MANY countries have PLENTY of open unused space. China, Russia, USA, Maxico. Lots of open unused space to harvest solar energy.

There is never enough of the earth covered by clouds that this would not work, especially with some energy storage.

Now this would be a MASSIVE undertaking and politically insane to get passed as countries always want to monitize it and do not think about the greater good. Imagine free energy for all via solar.

How in the world is this free when it’s more expensive than traditional energy sources?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
1649
Rep
5,148
Posts

Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
How in the world is this free when it’s more expensive than traditional energy sources?
I am sorry but I believe you facts are wrong. That or go edit the wiki with sources to back up your claims. It is free basically once it is installed. VERY low O&M cost unlike traditional coal, gas, or nuclear. It cheaper than many other forms of traditional energy generation. LCOE of solar is excellent compared to traditional:

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/an-...-solar/529373/

https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/ar...-goal-achieved

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...city_by_source

6 cents per kilowatt-hour for solar, which continues to drop year over year.

Lazard (2018)
In November, 2018, Lazard found that not only are utility-scale solar and wind cheaper than fossil fuels, "[i]n some scenarios, alternative energy costs have decreased to the point that they are now at or below the marginal cost of conventional generation." Overall, Lazard found "The low end levelized cost of onshore wind-generated energy is $29/MWh, compared to an average illustrative marginal cost of $36/MWh for coal. The levelized cost of utility-scale solar is nearly identical to the illustrative marginal cost of coal, at $36/MWh. This comparison is accentuated when subsidizing onshore wind and solar, which results in levelized costs of energy of $14/MWh and $32/MWh, respectively. ... The mean levelized cost of energy of utility-scale PV technologies is down approximately 13% from last year and the mean levelized cost of energy of onshore wind has declined almost 7%."[36]

Bloomberg (2018)
Bloomberg New Energy Finance estimates a "global LCOE for onshore wind [of] $55 per megawatt-hour, down 18% from the first six months of [2017], while the equivalent for solar PV without tracking systems is $70 per MWh, also down 18%." Bloomberg does not provide its global public LCOEs for fossil fuels, but it notes in India they are significantly more expensive: "BNEF is now showing benchmark LCOEs for onshore wind of just $39 per MWh, down 46% on a year ago, and for solar PV at $41, down 45%. By comparison, coal comes in at $68 per MWh, and combined-cycle gas at $93." [37][38]

IRENA (2018)
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) released a study based on comprehensive international datasets in January 2018 which projects the fall by 2020 of the kilowatt cost of electricity from utility scale renewable projects such as onshore wind farms to a point equal or below that of electricity from conventional sources.[39]

Banks (2018)
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) says that "renewables are now cheapest energy source", elaborating: "the Bank believes that renewable energy markets in many of the countries where it invests have reached a stage where the introduction of competitive auctions will lead both to a steep drop in electricity prices and an increase in investment." [40] The World Bank (World Bank) President Jim Yong Kim agreed on 10 October 2018: "We are required by our by-laws to go with the lowest cost option, and renewables have now come below the cost of [fossil fuels]." [41]

I'm a conservative republican but alternative energy is the future. We still are going to need oil for plastics etc. The sooner we stop pumping it out of the ground and saving it the better. let the rest of the world use up their oil while we save ours.






"My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a camel",[5] reflected his concern that Dubai's oil, which was discovered in 1966 and which began production in 1969, would run out within a few generations.
__________________
E92 ACF ST 6466 + Meth Motiv / E70 #1 JBD / E70 #2 JBD / E90 PTF retired

Originally Posted by TheAxiom FYI - I don't drive hard at all. So I'm not interested in more clamping force when I won't use it. Even on my car, I take it easy. It's just too loud to be enjoyable.
Appreciate 1
Ngilbe36389.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST