BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Clinical research on multivitamins - physician input?

03-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Clinical research on multivitamins - physician input?

I searched the site and found a lot of discussion about vitamins but nothing referring to clinical studies on their effects.

Does anyone have a source for clinical studies showing the effects of daily multivitamin supplements? I searched NIH and found one study of over 5,000 physicians over age 65, where daily multivitamin supplements did not affect cognitive level, or change of that level over time.

Is there anything that people can point to with peer reviewed studies? Thanks. I know there are some health professionals on this site, I hope they chime in.

Last edited by chassis; 03-03-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-multivitamins

I share the same opinion as the above link in regards to the multivitamins.

May I ask the reason why you are looking for clinical studies pertaining to them?
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      03-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-multivitamins

I share the same opinion as the above link in regards to the multivitamins.

May I ask the reason why you are looking for clinical studies pertaining to them?
Good article, thanks JP10

The article itself is not a clinical study, but rather mentions studies and research done by others. It seems to refer to the 5000+ male [physicians] studied I noted in the original post.

I think I am generally of the view in the article, that multivitamins generally have no effect for nearly all people. I remain interested to see more clinical studies surrounding this.

Why am I looking for clinical studies? Because I prefer to use information sources as close to first principles as possible.

A quote in the article that speaks to me:

“The total price tag [for multivitamins] exceeds $12 billion per year—money that Johns Hopkins nutrition experts say might be better spent on nutrient-packed foods like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.”
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=supplement
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks omasou A thread with opinions makes for interesting reading. I didn't see reference to randomized clinical studies. Were such studies included in the link?

Here is another article noting noting that multivitamins do not reduce the risk of any chronic disease: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MV...hProfessional/

I consider NIH and John Hopkins to be credible sources, I'm sure there are others. I also consider randomized controlled clinical trials to be credible source material.

Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable than I am, and preferably are health care providers, can point the direction for information on this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Good article, thanks JP10

The article itself is not a clinical study, but rather mentions studies and research done by others. It seems to refer to the 5000+ male [physicians] studied I noted in the original post.

I think I am generally of the view in the article, that multivitamins generally have no effect for nearly all people. I remain interested to see more clinical studies surrounding this.

Why am I looking for clinical studies? Because I prefer to use information sources as close to first principles as possible.

A quote in the article that speaks to me:

“The total price tag [for multivitamins] exceeds $12 billion per year—money that Johns Hopkins nutrition experts say might be better spent on nutrient-packed foods like fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products.”
Oh I wasn't questioning the use of clinical studies, I agree 100%, best source of info. Rather was wondering what information you were hoping to find - is the question in general whether or not multivitamins are beneficial?
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #7
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Thanks omasou A thread with opinions makes for interesting reading. I didn't see reference to randomized clinical studies. Were such studies included in the link?

Here is another article noting noting that multivitamins do not reduce the risk of any chronic disease: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MV...hProfessional/

I consider NIH and John Hopkins to be credible sources, I'm sure there are others. I also consider randomized controlled clinical trials to be credible source material.

Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable than I am, and preferably are health care providers, can point the direction for information on this. Thanks!
Did you click on the ArsTech link. There was an observational study which is probably as close as you'll get.

Clinical trials are designed to prove the benefit of a medicine for a NDA approval. Vitamin's don't require approval. So that leaves research. No manufacturer is going to fund an academic or other type of study to prove their vitamins are effective b/c there isn't any ROI.

So like the ArsTech article said. There is no proven benefit to taking manufactured vitamins, they may be linked to cancers, and eating a balanced diet should provide all the vitamins needed.

Last edited by omasou; 03-03-2021 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      03-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Did you click on the ArsTech link. There was an observational study which is probably as close as you'll get.

Clinical trials are designed to prove the benefit of a medicine for a NDA approval. Vitamin's don't require approval. So that leaves research. No manufacturer is going to fund an academic or other type of study to prove their vitamins are effective b/c there isn't any ROI.

So like the ArsTech article said. There is no proven benefit to taking manufactured vitamins, they may be linked to cancers, and eating a balanced diet should provide all the vitamins needed.
omasou Yes, that’s my view. I’m attempting to be open minded that I may be wrong. If there are clinical randomized controlled studies that argue against my view, I’m willing to listen. Thanks for pointing out the link, I will have a look.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

people ask me all the time what vitamins should I take. I recommend a good multi-vit daily. I warn them not to load up on the fat soluble vites. It's a ka-billion dollar industry with no good clinical evidence
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-05-2021, 04:24 AM   #10
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

I may be able to point you in the right direction, I have been in the literature for a number of years. What specific health benefit are you looking for, cancer prevention, cardiovascular health, etc?

So many different companies make multivitamins and I often tell people that some may be beneficial while others may not. There are a lot of variables when it comes to making a multivitamin and some companies do a better job of being consistent than others.

I also tell people to get their nutrients through what you eat, don't depend on a tablet.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #11
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

I did research years ago and found consensus that a multi vitamin is too generic. I base my daily vitamins on the needs of my diet and lifestyle. Then use sites like labdoor to find the best sources of these vitamins. Like D3 or K.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #12
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Follow the money and you'll have your answer as to why there arent a ton of clinical studies. You cant patent a vitamin, mineral, or "natural" plant based supplement. There's also no law requiring clinical studies to prove efficacy. So if you are the manufacturer of, say, a line of vitamin B, C, D, E supplements that you cant patent and you arent required to do studies on, then why spend on $$ on a study?
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #13
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kick 6 View Post
I may be able to point you in the right direction, I have been in the literature for a number of years. What specific health benefit are you looking for, cancer prevention, cardiovascular health, etc?

So many different companies make multivitamins and I often tell people that some may be beneficial while others may not. There are a lot of variables when it comes to making a multivitamin and some companies do a better job of being consistent than others.

I also tell people to get their nutrients through what you eat, don't depend on a tablet.
Thanks for the reply @Kick 6 Any clinical study would do. Any health benefit will do equally as well. I wrote the OP using the word "multivitamin" but I should probably have used the word "vitamins".

The replies have been helpful. Any references to studies done that point to use of vitamins or dietary supplements to avoid or improve an unwanted health condition will be appreciated.

Summarizing what I am reading in the posts: vitamins have not been clinically found to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #14
Gregrobin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

I went off all supplements (fish oil, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Turmeric, etc.) about 6 weeks ago as a test to see how I feel. I feel exactly....the same.

I see no value in them unless you have a deficiency and need to supplement.
      04-05-2021, 11:13 PM   #15
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply @Kick 6 Any clinical study would do. Any health benefit will do equally as well. I wrote the OP using the word "multivitamin" but I should probably have used the word "vitamins".

The replies have been helpful. Any references to studies done that point to use of vitamins or dietary supplements to avoid or improve an unwanted health condition will be appreciated.

Summarizing what I am reading in the posts: vitamins have not been clinically found to help.
If you look at most studies on multivitamins, it shows that they don't have much benefit. These studies are often a few years to up to a decade in length. Longer vitamin studies often show different outcomes and show a positive benefit. I'll be the first to state that there is often more to the story. In this reference, it shows what I am talking about. Long story short, if you want to prevent or decrease colon cancer, stop eating meat. Eating sulfur laden methionine with saturated fat creates a situation that promotes it.
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/abs/...99810010-00002

To expound on the OP's topic, the reason I believe the long term studies show a different outcome is because of the age of the participants. As we age, we suffer from nutrient depletion, epigenetic shifts, and immune function down regulation that come from microbiome and environmental changes. The alteration of GI bacteria quantity and quality reduce our available substrates for our biochemical pathways.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...00825110-00003

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionre...3/3/71/1815191

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...40673674918741

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa055218

I just grabbed one of each but there are plenty of others. Taking multivitamins for some and expecting positive results is like trying to grow a garden on concrete. The environment is just not suitable and it's not going to happen.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #16
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks again @Kick 6. I will explore those references. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #17
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
FWIW, I take one Centrum Silver for Men 50+ every day. I figure it can't hurt and since I'm still working I may not have access to all proper food groups every day. No other supplements beyond a low-dose aspirin every day.

I pay a lot for car, motorcycle, and homeowner insurance, too, and can't always document the benefit.
Appreciate 2
Gregrobin577.00
chassis6373.50
      04-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
FWIW, I take one Centrum Silver for Men 50+ every day. I figure it can't hurt and since I'm still working I may not have access to all proper food groups every day. No other supplements beyond a low-dose aspirin every day.

I pay a lot for car, motorcycle, and homeowner insurance, too, and can't always document the benefit.
I agree, but we are the only one who controls what you eat. I do the best I can too but that involves preparing my food daily ahead of time. I often tell people to download the Daily Dozen app and do the best they can to follow its recommendations. Try to make conscious choices to eat better and preparation ahead of time is the key.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #19
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I wish I could find these studies as well, but fear they just aren't there, or what is there isn't what I'm looking for.

I'm 50, and fit, but I don't eat most foods normal people eat, so I've always been interested in supplementation, but the world of it is so big that I just get lost and give up. I take a gummy MV and some Vitamin C every day, but I'm not even sure about those.

I'm not worried about wasting my money on vitamins, I'm worried that they might have the opposite of the intended effect long-term.
Appreciate 2
Gregrobin577.00
chassis6373.50
      04-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #20
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
most multi vitamins don't have high enough levels of vitamins to be beneficial, and second issue is the bioavailability of those.

took 3 years and lots of research to help make this multi vitamin, only one i ever look for

https://www.controlledlabs.com/produ...ious-athletes/
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      04-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #21
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Agree that Orange Triad is probably as good as it will get. Just a little pricey. Though my opinion is that multivitamins aren't needed. Majority of reactions are just placebo.
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
Gregrobin577.00
jmack548.50
      04-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #22
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]