BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 Misfire turned blown up engine...

06-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
Rep
Drives: 118i 19, 128ti 21, m340i 21

F20 Misfire turned blown up engine...

Hey guys / girls.

Story time!

I brought an approved used BMW 118i M Sport Shadow Edition back in Jan 2020. It was only 6000 miles / 6 months old, great price etc. It was my second car and pride and joy for almost a year until the 128ti came along.

Anyway, around November 2020 I had the car re-mapped (128ti wasn't around but yes, I know, remapping a 118i is a stupid boy racer move). Stage 1, 130bhp to 160bhp, speed limiter removed, loved it. Had no issues. Brought the 128ti a month later and the 118 became my toy. 118i was always kept in pristine condition (Washed / clay barred / waxed weekly, serviced on time, new tyres when at 3mm etc).

I had a cat / back box delete and pop / bang remap done in February 2021. No issues, loved it, happy. Then issues started. I had a steering column replaced under warranty and upon picking the car up, noticed extreme shaking, vibrating and general unsafe issues. By the time I got home, it had stopped, never happening again so didn't think of it. Couple weeks later, had a replacement clutch and flywheel (riding the clutch too much to make it pop and bang, yes I know I'm stupid and immature, don't do it anymore).

No problems. 4 and a half weeks ago during the school run, I was driving down a tight residential street in first gear before realising I was in the high revs (Having to fight my child about why he can't play with door handles). All of a sudden, the car started vibrating, gear stick juddering, EML started flashing and I had a drivetrain error on my ID. Got home, rang BMW, they booked me in for 20 minutes time. I checked the OBD codes and it was showing 2 pages of codes, relating to misfires on cylinder 3, multiple misfires, disabled injectors and more. I cleared them, set off to BMW and drove in high revs, first gear into BMW to set off the misfire for them to see it. They confirmed the issue, told me they'd need to check status of my warranty and took the car... (they knew it was mapped, I acknowledged it and offered to pay for repairs if BMW wouldn't).

2 weeks later, they phoned to say it was fixed. I pressed them a little and they said BMW honoured the warranty, and they swapped my spark plug from 3 to 2, and coils from 3 to 1 (Invoice confirms it). They apparently ran tests and all came back clear and even took it on a 70 mile test drive and nothing happened. So in my opinion and I said this, they didn't fix it, they hid it. They insisted the car was fine.

2 days later, I collected the car, did some shopping and leaving the shops, the stuttered a little in the car park. Just a shudder, nothing more. Didn't think anything of it, continued driving and as I pulled onto a roundabout, dropped into 2nd gear and I was getting screamed at by the gearbox or engine. I took it out of 2nd into N, put it back in and it screamed again. Confused, I tried to drive and the engine went bang. Shuddered, vibrated, shook then gave way. within 2 seconds, I lost my steering, brakes, engine and most other features. the stop / start instantly disabled and warned me; I pulled up, rang the garage going nuts and then they closed 2 minutes later, with just an apology. While waiting for recovery, my battery died. Recovery arrived in a van to try fix it, and found the battery was totally dead. They charged it and tried starting the engine, and it cranked, and cranked, and cranked, but nothing. 2nd attempt it didn't crank, but throw smoke through the cabin and out the bonnet. that's it. Batter disconnected and tow truck called. While waiting I checked the error codes. Crankshaft censor x2 faults, batter low voltage x1 and stop start x1.

2 days later, the garage rang. They've replaced the starter motor (cause of fire / smoke) and the crank sensor under warranty. Car is now cranking but not starting. They suspect timing issues. I make a complaint to BMW. Manager at the garage takes over, tells me they shouldn't have released the car without finding the cause of the misfire. Now over 3 weeks, we've gone from a misfire, to a burnt out starter motor, dead crank sensor and faulty battery systems. on a 2 year old, 22K mile car.

They check the timings - all okay. Car is now starting somehow, but running really rough. Battery now holding charge, no idea what caused that to go in first place. They now suspect a physical fault with the cylinders but all tests are clear, eg compression tests. 3 days later, my entire engine, gearbox and exhaust system are ripped from the car. BMW uphold my complaint and the business manager at the garage gets involved. I have to chase the service manager for an update, to the point I have to turn up demanding answers.

He takes me to an office and explains the cylinders are fine, but the engine isn't. The crankshaft bearings & crankshaft have failed, causing the engine to seize, with obvious signs of wear / rubbing / scratching. The sensor turned out to be fine. I need a new crankshaft, however the engine block needs to be checked for damage, if it is, new engine. He explains oil quality, quantity of oil or petrol leaks are common causes. They're now fully blaming my remap, saying the engine had too much fuel and it mixed with the oil, not lubricating the parts. He took me to see the engine and he was right (Though I did see coolant pouring from the engine / block, is this normal?). They quote 8K ATLEAST for a new engine, with the cars value, isn't work it. They've asked BMW for a final decision on warranty.

I speak to the garage that did my map (Who so far have been more helpful than BMW). They raise a valid point. This whole time it was misfiring but no one knows why? Misfires are when the fuel isn't ignited, which could lead to it leaking elsewhere mixing with oil. This could maybe link to the crankshaft damage but the BMW garage (sorry I should say, the garage is official BMW but a franchise, not BMW direct) didn't mention this. 3 garages have questioned why BMW didn't look into the misfire further which could've prevented all of this.

Worth noting, I told the garage 3 times, if they think the map is to blame, remove it and see, even at the first stage with the misfire; but they haven't and don't really want to it seems.

Any advice / input?

Last edited by 89537k; 06-14-2021 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: adding details
Appreciate 0