BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > EVO COTY BMW M135i vs Porsche 911 Carrera Track Battle Video

11-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #45
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
...But I would always choose a lower specced car with a better engine over a higher specced car with a lesser engine...
I do the same, but then I prefer to spend my money on the car, not the gizmos. Regardless of whether I bought a 128 or 135. That said, I suspect the poster potentially pondering buyer's remorse knows well whether s/he has more opportunity to enjoy the gizmos/appointments vs the added speed -- because the handling isn't really different -- of the 135.

BTW, someone above mentioned that the car is just butt ugly. I cannot help but wonder if folks who would buy a hot hatchback would feel that way? I don't think they would call it butt ugly. And nobody buys a hatchback with delusions of it being as sexy as a coupe, although I'm not sure if that was what the "it's ugly" poster was implying.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #46
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
It makes me curious if cars with bigger engines that are 2-5 years old would potentially be more popular to buy than a brand new car with a smaller engine.
Can't really speak for Norway, but I guess it's the same as over here: no. Taxes on fuel are also very high (>75% of the price) so big engines are not very popular.

The price of the 2nd hand car also remains inflated, higher than neighboring countries without the rip-off taxes.The funny thing is, because a foreign buyer can get (part of) that tax back when they import a car from the Netherlands, it can work out cheaper for them to buy a car over here
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #47
DRIVE'R
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I wouldn't be too worried for in my case, I so very rarely would be able to take advantage of the extra nth degree of performance (assuming my driving skills are up to it, and that too isn't a foregone conclusion), but I would be able to enjoy the added creature comforts and gizmos comparatively often.
Hey, thanks dude

I believe I’ll be fine with what I’ll get. In worse case I’ll just get new moods from M Performance which will come in the beginning of next yeah – and should bring the power up to 300HP
      11-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #48
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd spend the extra money and buy the 911 thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #49
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I'd spend the extra money and buy the 911 thank you very much.
I'd spend even more extra money and buy the Huayra.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #50
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I see, thanks for the info. I wonder how old a used car with a bigger engine would have to be for the taxes to be similar to that of a new car with a small engine. It makes me curious if cars with bigger engines that are 2-5 years old would potentially be more popular to buy than a brand new car with a smaller engine.
Yes, that's how it is. There are more second hand import cars sold than new cars in Norway.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #51
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

To think they pitted the M135 against such names speaks volumes, I mean Pagani, McLauren.. They could have used a ton of cars but they picked the Bimmer. And next year they will be able to put the M4 up there and we can move up a few slots
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #52
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I am with you bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I'd spend even more extra money and buy the Huayra.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #53
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Totally with you guys in spirit and feeling but got to say this:

A tax by definition does not need to (and usually doesn't) make sense...to the payer!

History is governments create and re-define taxes according to their needs/plans/wishes. They need more money they will be more creative.
what utter codswallop.

taxes are created by governments that we elect. if people don't like them then deal with your governments - they work for us , not us for them.

rant over
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #54
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
what utter codswallop.

taxes are created by governments that we elect. if people don't like them then deal with your governments - they work for us , not us for them.

rant over
I was being ironic anyway. Of course they work for us, don't they?

BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #55
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Although, for many, the aesthetic weakness is a big one.
Correct, what a stupidity of the design department and Adrian!? Some think it wil grow on us after some years, but this is plain bs really. I never experienced this with other hickups like e.g. the E65 which was a dreadful horror also then, but also now. So bad design now == bad design tomorrow, and 1-series has really bad design. It will not be a trendsetter, F20/21 never will be considered a beauty.

Sad BMW has chosen for a lowest-tier design, while it wouldn't have costed them anything to do it right! They had the edge with their RWD platform, leading to small overhangs and long hoods, but still decide to mess up massively.

Even my 4 yr and 6yr old sons see this mistake immediately: "dad, what is the make of this ugly car???"... I guess the top designers of BMW have less easthetical skills than my children, just leaving their dipers.

How,o God, How is this still possible????
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #56
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac View Post
+1. I would rather go slow in a good looking car, than fast in a hideous car.
So I guess you never drive your X6 fast?

Cheers
Robin
Well played.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #57
WeekendDriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i Cayman gts

Many people talked about how ugly this car is. I agree it is even though I ordered one. When the 1 series appeared on the road last year, I was asking who would buy this car. But throw in the performance of the M135i, and a competitive price, then the scale tipped. I do wish anyone can show me a car with similar performance and price, while looking much nicer. (don't tell me an used E92 335i, which I did considered)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #58
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver View Post
Many people talked about how ugly this car is. I agree it is even though I ordered one. When the 1 series appeared on the road last year, I was asking who would buy this car. But throw in the performance of the M135i, and a competitive price, then the scale tipped. I do wish anyone can show me a car with similar performance and price, while looking much nicer. (don't tell me an used E92 335i, which I did considered)
Megane RS, Astra OPC
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #59
HasanK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

The megane RS looks great from the outside, on the inside its a bit disappointing and the performance doesn't come near the M135i. The chassis in both cars are being praised as phenomenal.

The Astra OPC is great. Looks great from the outside and acceptable from the inside. But don't forget it's FWD (if I'm not mistaken) and the M135i is RWD, and has more power and a better chassis.

There was a recent review by Chris Harris comparing the megane RS, Astra OPC and the focus ST. The focus won, and I'm sure the M135i, as a package, and for the price (only a couple more thousand pounds), is still the better bargain.

That's just my opinion on the matter
      11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #60
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendDriver View Post
We can't.

The only one which comes to mind is the Subaru Impreza WRX STI.
Similar performance but just uglier.(But I like it! I had a Impreza 555 GTT back in 1999) The rest are blunt characterless FWD cars tbh.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #61
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
coupe hopefully will be a looker
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #62
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Correct, what a stupidity of the design department and Adrian!? Some think it wil grow on us after some years, but this is plain bs really. I never experienced this with other hickups like e.g. the E65 which was a dreadful horror also then, but also now. So bad design now == bad design tomorrow, and 1-series has really bad design. It will not be a trendsetter, F20/21 never will be considered a beauty.

Sad BMW has chosen for a lowest-tier design, while it wouldn't have costed them anything to do it right! They had the edge with their RWD platform, leading to small overhangs and long hoods, but still decide to mess up massively.

Even my 4 yr and 6yr old sons see this mistake immediately: "dad, what is the make of this ugly car???"... I guess the top designers of BMW have less easthetical skills than my children, just leaving their dipers.

How,o God, How is this still possible????
self importance, bad command chain and no self-criticism
anyway, I heard that after this avalanche of new models, there will be a great cleaning action (some too important should get wings-Red Bull)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #63
Joseph Amadeus
Registered
Chile
Rep
Drives: waiting for my ///M135i

Unhappy My M135i comes with the RF Bridgestone Potenza

Hi everyone,

I'm new in the forum. (sorry about my english, I'm a spanish native speaker)
As a company policy from BMW, in my country Chile (and in all latam I heard) only the M cars come with hi performance tires, so my m135i will come fitted from factory with Bridgestone Potenza run flat and theres nothing to do.
It´s a sin, I know... But I want to know if someone has tryed (or owns) the car with those RF tyres to give me an opinion about them.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #64
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Amadeus View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new in the forum. (sorry about my english, I'm a spanish native speaker)
As a company policy from BMW, in my country Chile (and in all latam I heard) only the M cars come with hi performance tires, so my m135i will come fitted from factory with Bridgestone Potenza run flat and theres nothing to do.
It´s a sin, I know... But I want to know if someone has tryed (or owns) the car with those RF tyres to give me an opinion about them.

Thanks!
Why I am not surprised about this? Tell me about BMW Chile (WBM or Inchape). If this is a conscious decision of BMW Latin America which I doubt big time by the way, then it makes no sense at all.

Will it matter? Oh yeah, you bet it matters from comfort to down right performance, it will make a huge difference. I swapped from PS2 to PSS and difference is so big there is no way that it is not even bigger with Potenza rfts.

Solution: Depends on your wallet; if you can sell them sell them without making any serious mileage because they are expensive. I bet you can afford most of if not all cost for a PSS set which you need to import since they are not (at least were not) available in Chile or anywhere else in South America. Use tire rack, good prices, excellent service and fast shipment. Remember that you will need to pay import taxes as well

If you can't sell them then burn them as quick as possible and still go buy a PSS set as the replacement when you are done, they are that good.

I live in Santiago since some time (am an expat) you can PM me and I can tell you more about WBM, tires and stuff, if you wish to hear more
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #65
701let
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i M Sport

epic
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #66
Joseph Amadeus
Registered
Chile
Rep
Drives: waiting for my ///M135i

Thanks Ozinaldo,

With such kind of exclusive distributors, you'll never know the real reason to specify all non M models with RF tires.
Thanks for give some ideas to deal with this sacrilege. I think finally I will buy inmediatelly the MPSS (I've been scouting the Michelin.cl web site and the front tires specs 225/40/R18 could be locally available) with some luck only rear ones 245/35/R18 will need to be imported.
Then, when my car arrives, I will swap the tires ASAP, fortunatelly a close friend of mine drives an 135i coupe (who uses almost same spec tires) and show some interest, so the RF's should be quickly relocated and some cash recovered to mount the proper drivers car tires on my long awaited machine.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0