BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Swirl Flap Delete / Removal

01-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
magicmike119
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116D Sport F20

Cool Swirl Flap Delete / Removal

Hi Guys / Gals,

So today i removed the swirl flaps from my 116D sport 3 cylinder B37 engine as I was getting the error code DDE 2C3200 - Swirl Flap Actuator: Mechanically faulty (Lever Broken)

Upon inspection when removing the flaps it would appear the guides for the bar which runs though the inlet and hold the flaps in place was warn as there was some play. This I assume is what has causing the error code. (the arm was in tact and not broken).

I removed the flaps and put everything back together to find out the code persisted. Following another old post on here someone had worked out that it was because the ECU does a test on the actuator to ensure the open and close position of the flaps is accurate. When running the test in ISTA+ the test was showing the actuator was going past the 0% mark which is the resting place (resistance the flaps should be in if fitted). Because it was going past the point of 0% this is what was then causing the ECU to think there was a broken arm or a fault.

With the help of a self tapping screw in the correct position the arm on the actuator reaches 0% and doesn't go below, fooling the ECU to think there is no fault with the swirl flaps. (I have attached a picture to show)

This is basically a cheap / temporary fix before needing or wanting to map out the actuator.

Hopefully someone can make use of this as i searched high and low for information and didn't get very far until I stumbled across the screw idea on here and it was a stumble!

The car is now back to normal which is great!

Thanks

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JR9400.00