BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Upcoming video - For the past 50 years. One team. One passion. By BMW M

02-24-2022, 07:49 AM   #89
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso085 View Post
Such a cringe inducing, terrible ad,. "Courage into an expressive way of life" who writes or actually believes this drivel. It's hard to be excited about celebrating the "next race, the future" when that future looks like the XM. I think it's fair to say at this point, I am not M.
100%. That line and the way it was said ruined it for me. They should repurpose some of the ///M Town ads and slap 50 years on top. And fire whoever was responsible for this atrocity.
chrisk03153.00
      02-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #90
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
Since I am M, do I get a cut of the profits?

You are ///Mmmmmad
      02-24-2022, 08:09 AM   #91
Mosaud1998
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Went 41 seconds into the video and stopped watching.

Very corny video.
chrisk03153.00
      02-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #92
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Hmm. I didn't completely hate it but I definitely didn't love it.
Appreciate 1
jdubm2c169.00
      02-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #93
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EATERS View Post
Here you go. Judge this then
Now THIS is a great commercial. Not only was there no bullshit, it focuses on what makes ///M great, and gives you a chuckle.

I want one of those passports to ///M town. LOL Call me a sucker for marketing swag.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 3
kjx3189.50
PNWM3530.50
      02-24-2022, 08:58 AM   #94
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

From a marketing perspective, I think they should appeal to the demographics of those who can afford the cars, as they are expensive, and regardless of sex or ethnicity. Why appeal to college girl #3, she has $150k of student loans to repay, it’s not like she will run to the first dealer and buy her first M8. Just my opinion.

But I found the ad cringy to watch because it desperately tries to rally people around some random BS slogan. You don’t beg and shout at people to join the cult, it’s pathetic. I’m not sure what the right ad would be for the days, but I’ve shown it to my 18yo and he was totally unimpressed.

This is a fail.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 4
kjx3189.50
Cos270608.50
zb26031055.50
chrisk03153.00
      02-24-2022, 09:20 AM   #95
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

We are very far from the origins of M. Sales figures dictate that they are doing all the right things from a business perspective, but we simply can't ignore that this is a far cry from where it all started. I'm not mad at this add, it's silly, but I simply don't care and it won't guide any of my decisions on future car purchases. What does guide my decisions will be things like greedy dealerships charging obscene ADM on M cars, but that is a completely different discussion.

I think where we get into heated debates is how far we have diverted from what M used to stand for. Evolution isn't always what you expect it to be.
Cos270608.50
zb26031055.50
      02-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #96
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Well..maybe this is more suitable:

We are the BORG

Appreciate 3
      02-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #97
JAH9109
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
So you don't miss the beautiful cars, the driver's cars, the "M" only going on something special? It's not a problem that the cars are changing. It's just... disappointing that the focus and what the brand was known for is changing.
I don't understand why that makes any difference tbh. Back then the cars were top of their class, today they are too. In the same metrics (quantitative and qualitative). I also think the cars today are beautiful, they stand out from the boring sea of other cars, but that's obviously subjective. The brand was known for high-performance drivers cars, and it is known for the same thing today. Audi RS stayed true to themselves by making boring but fast cars with quattro, AMG stayed true to themselves by pulling an American car manufacturer and "JUST SLAP A BIG V8 BRO", and BMW M still makes cars that outperform both.

I sincerely do not understand the "M" going on something special though. That has serious "well if you have it I don't want it anymore" energy, I never quite got why that makes a difference. It's really not like the M340i's etc are stealing from the M3's thunder, either.

Same thing about that one dude who commented "there were no white males in this video". I don't understand why that makes a difference, especially when you consider from a marketing standpoint the "25-50yo white male" will be buying a BMW, M or not. Why waste money advertising to the target audience already when you can expand your audience? That's almost like complaining that you can get Irish whiskey outside of Ireland

.This.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 09:43 AM   #98
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
FFS

Can't anyone just chill these days

Who cares what anything is about anything? You like it, great. You don't like it, great.

Why has there got to be so much BS about everything in here?

I thought we were adults, or something in that line

Getting tired of every thread becoming a pissing contest between the likers and the haters

Just enjoy the moments, what BMW (or any other manufacturer) does is not any of our business. Until such time as you put up $40Bn of your own cash, you have ZERO say in what they do. Then, and only then, after you stick billions in front of them, will anything you say carry any weight.

So if you don't like what BMW does with its design or marketing, go watch the Tata Motor's new release, I'm sure that will be right up your alley

Whether you're M or not.
      02-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #99
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Well..maybe this is more suitable:

We are the BORG
This wins the thread! LOL LOVE IT!

Yours truly,
Locutus
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #100
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
Really hard for me to pin together their racing heritage and whatever the hell they're doing now. Whole video plays like a unity campaign and M is coming out of the closet.
M coming out of closet..lmao
This is exactly like a social or political campaign ad, doesn't reflect anything about BMW M.
I think bmw marketing knows who is buying their cars lol….old school enthusiasts(us) are just just blasting these ads and not buying them.
Appreciate 3
k4sh_90539.00
zb26031055.50
      02-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #101
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
FFS

Can't anyone just chill these days

Who cares what anything is about anything? You like it, great. You don't like it, great.

Why has there got to be so much BS about everything in here?

I thought we were adults, or something in that line

Getting tired of every thread becoming a pissing contest between the likers and the haters

Just enjoy the moments, what BMW (or any other manufacturer) does is not any of our business. Until such time as you put up $40Bn of your own cash, you have ZERO say in what they do. Then, and only then, after you stick billions in front of them, will anything you say carry any weight.

So if you don't like what BMW does with its design or marketing, go watch the Tata Motor's new release, I'm sure that will be right up your alley

Whether you're M or not.
We have an individual and collective voice that BMW cares about because they cannot exist without us buying their cars. Having many people speak highly for a brand also helps them.

So no, we are not people with zero say in what their direction is. They have seen more than a quarter of a million dollars from me in the past 5 years, and what they do going forward will influence how much of the millions of dollars I may spend on cars over the next several decades they get. And I am just one person.

My loyalties are already shifting to a purer brand like Porsche, instead of tolerating this diluted nonsense ///M is becoming. I'm buying a car and I'm buying a brand. And this brand is on its way down and is losing its appeal.

If you want to believe you're a helpless consumer, go ahead, but don't assume everyone wants to join that sorry club.
zb26031055.50
      02-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #102
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post

We have an individual and collective voice that BMW cares about because they cannot exist without us buying their cars. Having many people speak highly for a brand also helps them.

So no, we are not people with zero say in what their direction is. They have seen more than a quarter of a million dollars from me in the past 5 years, and what they do going forward will influence how much of the millions of dollars I may spend on cars over the next several decades they get. And I am just one person.

My loyalties are already shifting to a purer brand like Porsche, instead of tolerating this diluted nonsense ///M is becoming. I'm buying a car and I'm buying a brand. And this brand is on its way down and is losing its appeal.

If you want to believe you're a helpless consumer, go ahead, but don't assume everyone wants to join that sorry club.
Respectfully, people who buy BMW 118 have a lot more say than you or I do. BMW is in the business of selling ///Millions of cars, not just ///M cars.

I'm not in a sad club my friend, I'm in touch with reality and reality says, a manufacturer which sells half a million "everyday" cars every year would care more about what that segment wants than the segment it only sells 40k cars to (I'm pulling figures from the air so don't go quoting me on it but the principle hold true)

You go on believing you actually have a say, and I'll go on believing in Easter Bunny - we'd be pretty well on par.

What is extraordinary about your comments is the fact that the brand you claim is going down, had its BEST YEAR on record; way to go down BMW 😂😂
wesleyan921355.50
      02-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #103
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

It's too bad Youtube stopped showing dislike counts.

I have no idea what that ad is saying as is the case with most of their recent videos.
Appreciate 2
kjx3189.50
chrisk03153.00
      02-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #104
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

i want whatever cocaine these advertising people are snorting nowadays

this isn't as bad as the thor commercial tho
Appreciate 3
kjx3189.50
chrisk03153.00
      02-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #105
kjx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "kjx;28624512"

Respectfully, people who buy BMW 118 have a lot more say than you or I do. BMW is in the business of selling ///Millions of cars, not just ///M cars.

I'm not in a sad club my friend, I'm in touch with reality and reality says, a manufacturer which sells half a million "everyday" cars every year would care more about what that segment wants than the segment it only sells 40k cars to (I'm pulling figures from the air so don't go quoting me on it but the principle hold true)

You go on believing you actually have a say, and I'll go on believing in Easter Bunny - we'd be pretty well on par.

What is extraordinary about your comments is the fact that the brand you claim is going down, had its BEST YEAR on record; way to go down BMW 😂😂
You know who else sells millions of cars. Toyota. Honda. VW. GM. Nobody who is an enthusiast cares a whole lot about what they sell.

For people who think like us, it's the quality of the experience, the purity of the emotion, the story of the brand that matters. We don't care if they sell to 10s of millions or 100s of millions. In fact, it's better if there was a bit more exclusivity.

You know who doesn't sell millions of cars but gets more respect and adoration from enthusiasts than BMW? Ferrari. Lamborghini. Bugatti. Rimac. Koenigsegg. Even Porsche.

BMW had a great year, and my drop in that bucket was a 2021 X5 45e and a 2022 M4 Comp M xDrive. Whether I'm along for the ride for the future depends a lot of how much they dilute their ///M brand or not. If owning an ///M car starts to feel like owning a Toyota (from a brand perspective), Porsche is a very easy choice for my next.
      02-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #106
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
What a joke.

I didn’t even see E30 M3.

All about featuring young ppl that probably don’t care about ///M and never drove one. All it’s missing is a KITH branding.

So much great history of M vehicles and this thrash video in a parking garage is the best they can do?!
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2022, 11:13 AM   #107
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

///M cars and brand were NOT for everyone. These were once special and aspirational cars catered for car enthusiasts. Not for your wife to drive to the mall.

Its sad to see that BMW has completely diluted the M brand for short term profit.

You don’t think Ferrari can triple their sales overnight by just selling $100k car or putting Ferrari badge on Maserati SUV. Brand prestige is much more valuable than short term profits, unfortunately BMW and MB AMG has really ruined their brands.
Appreciate 6
kjx3189.50
stein_325i25062.00
Jockey3445.00
TargaM22489.00
      02-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #108
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You know who else sells millions of cars. Toyota. Honda. VW. GM. Nobody who is an enthusiast cares a whole lot about what they sell.

For people who think like us, it's the quality of the experience, the purity of the emotion, the story of the brand that matters. We don't care if they sell to 10s of millions or 100s of millions. In fact, it's better if there was a bit more exclusivity.

You know who doesn't sell millions of cars but gets more respect and adoration from enthusiasts than BMW? Ferrari. Lamborghini. Bugatti. Rimac. Koenigsegg. Even Porsche.

BMW had a great year, and my drop in that bucket was a 2021 X5 45e and a 2022 M4 Comp M xDrive. Whether I'm along for the ride for the future depends a lot of how much they dilute their ///M brand or not. If owning an ///M car starts to feel like owning a Toyota (from a brand perspective), Porsche is a very easy choice for my next.
I genuinely hope you'll enjoy whatever you drive be it a Porsche or a Ferrari.

My point was, and remains, it's getting tiring with all the love/hate comments.

As for who cares about Toyota, there are a lot more than you think. Enthusiasts come in all sizes and shapes. There are probably a lot more Supra and GTR fans out there than there are enthusiasts about all the manufacturers you mentioned, combined.

I'm not Pro, or against any single manufacturer or individual vehicle. I'm just against BS finding its way to these threads. You may or may not agree with me on this, but whether or not we love or hate this video, truly adds zero value to the thread.

That's my message, not so much the content of the video or how good/bad BMW is/was
kjx3189.50
      02-24-2022, 11:21 AM   #109
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I don't understand why that makes any difference tbh. Back then the cars were top of their class, today they are too. In the same metrics (quantitative and qualitative). I also think the cars today are beautiful, they stand out from the boring sea of other cars, but that's obviously subjective. The brand was known for high-performance drivers cars, and it is known for the same thing today. Audi RS stayed true to themselves by making boring but fast cars with quattro, AMG stayed true to themselves by pulling an American car manufacturer and "JUST SLAP A BIG V8 BRO", and BMW M still makes cars that outperform both.

I sincerely do not understand the "M" going on something special though. That has serious "well if you have it I don't want it anymore" energy, I never quite got why that makes a difference. It's really not like the M340i's etc are stealing from the M3's thunder, either.

Same thing about that one dude who commented "there were no white males in this video". I don't understand why that makes a difference, especially when you consider from a marketing standpoint the "25-50yo white male" will be buying a BMW, M or not. Why waste money advertising to the target audience already when you can expand your audience? That's almost like complaining that you can get Irish whiskey outside of Ireland
You have to look at the context of how we got here. Many hardcore BMW enthusiasts & others have lamented how BMW is moving away from it's heritage (more driver engagement, lighter, fun to drive, and from design perspective, Hofmeister kink, etc.) towards mainstream buyers. BMW Marketing emphasized this point with advertising campaigns that mocked its own history like in the cringe-worthy video below of talking BMW's and the iX telling the old 7-Series "Your time is over."

So now in this campaign they're celebrating the same BMW heritage they previously mocked. It's hypocritical.

As for you loving the current designs, it would seem you're among the 20% because according to Dukec: "...20 percent liked it. And it was these 20 percent that fit the type of customers we are targeting" and then calls his critics "superficial" because "they judge on one detail" (i.e., beaver grille). BMW has essentially thrown down the gauntlet and the middle finger at the community that once supported them. BMW fans are historically some of the most passionate within the auto enthusiast community and the view that's being expressed is you don't have to alienate your supporters in order to find new ones.

Oh yeah, and don't celebrate what you once mocked.

Appreciate 2
sq86363.00
      02-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #110
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:

///M cars and brand were NOT for everyone. These were once special and aspirational cars catered for car enthusiasts. Not for your wife to drive to the mall.

Its sad to see that BMW has completely diluted the M brand for short term profit.

You don’t think Ferrari can triple their sales overnight by just selling $100k car or putting Ferrari badge on Maserati SUV. Brand prestige is much more valuable than short term profits, unfortunately BMW and MB AMG has really ruined their brands.
I don't doubt what you are saying has some merit. However, what manufacturers do also has some merit. What you call brand dilution, AUDI, BMW, MB and the like call survival mechanism.

Those who want a bit of M but can only afford 3/4 of one, can buy M340 instead of M3, as an example. BMW wins twice that way; first by selling two cars instead of one, but more importantly, by not losing one sale to another manufacturer just because they cared about M, more than they cared about sales.

Don't forget, it's all the non-M sales that pays for the development of M cars. However much you and I may dislike brand dilution, in reality, without it there may not be a M to speak of for too long.
PNWM3530.50