BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW extended warranty in Canada, Ontario.

02-08-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
amgamg67
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328d

BMW extended warranty in Canada, Ontario.

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to purchase my 2nd BMW after my 328d was written off by my insurance company. When I purchased the 328d, I purchased the extend warranty for 4 additional years. Money well spent. I found a few 5 series that I'm interested in on a used car lot (non-BMW dealer). I contact my local dealers and one didn't even respond to numerous calls, and the other one did answer my question. I called BMW Canada, and they told me I need to talk to my local dealer...very frustrating.
Could someone point me in the right direction, where I can find the information.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
What is your question?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
What is your question?
Assuming it being can I buy a BMW Extended warranty, e.g., Powertrain Plus, Gold or Platinum for a used car. The answer is a qualified "yes" from my knowledge at least for the US market so the OP's MMV for Canada. The cost though will be based on current mileage on the prospective 5-series cars under consideration as well as what existing base warranty still exists.

Personally, I'm not sure an extended warranty is ever worth it as the manufacture's stack the odds in their favor based on empirical statistics of the cost vs likelihood of having to pay out during the period. Some call the other alternative "self insured" aka keep enough money put aside in a liquid investment to pay for any future repairs required beyond the standard warranty. That has been my motto which worked flawlessly with prior Lexus ownership but the verdict is still out in regards to the two BMWs I now own.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 09:33 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozemanAZ View Post
Assuming it being can I buy a BMW Extended warranty, e.g., Powertrain Plus, Gold or Platinum for a used car. The answer is a qualified "yes" from my knowledge at least for the US market so the OP's MMV for Canada. The cost though will be based on current mileage on the prospective 5-series cars under consideration as well as what existing base warranty still exists.

Personally, I'm not sure an extended warranty is ever worth it as the manufacture's stack the odds in their favor based on empirical statistics of the cost vs likelihood of having to pay out during the period. Some call the other alternative "self insured" aka keep enough money put aside in a liquid investment to pay for any future repairs required beyond the standard warranty. That has been my motto which worked flawlessly with prior Lexus ownership but the verdict is still out in regards to the two BMWs I know own.
There is that classic joke that BMW stands for Break My Wallet.

I am only my first BMW so I can’t say if my extended warranty is a good idea or a money loss. I think the lower mileage you drive the less likely you are to use it. But I do think if you own for 7 years and drive higher mileage you may benefit from the extended warranty.

Failures do happen though…

https://reddit.com/r/BMW/comments/pl...slp/?context=1
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:57 AM   #5
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I bought a 2017 F25 last year from a BMW dealer.
I didn't buy the extended warranty right away.
I waited until the original warranty expired, several months later.
On the last day of the original warranty, I brought the car to the dealer due to a check engine light. They fixed it for free and still covered by the original warranty. They asked again for my interest in purchasing extended warranty. After I told them that I wanted to buy, they performed additional inspections on top of fixing the CEL issue.

I think the dealer is obligated to perform inspection prior to selling the extended warranty. So, if you don't buy the car from them, they may not want to go through the hassle when they are busy.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #6
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgamg67 View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to purchase my 2nd BMW after my 328d was written off by my insurance company. When I purchased the 328d, I purchased the extend warranty for 4 additional years. Money well spent. I found a few 5 series that I'm interested in on a used car lot (non-BMW dealer). I contact my local dealers and one didn't even respond to numerous calls, and the other one did answer my question. I called BMW Canada, and they told me I need to talk to my local dealer...very frustrating.
Could someone point me in the right direction, where I can find the information.

Thanks
Go into the dealer and sit down at a new car, sales person's desk. They sell extended warranties, not parts, or service. The pricing is the same between all dealers also. I know this because I just bought it from a dealer in BC, where the pricing was the same as in Ontario.

FYI - if you buy it from out of province you only pay GST
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #7
razrsharp
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 Diesel M-Sport

Can you extend 2x?

I bought my x5 with just a few hundred km's before reaching 80k & original warranty expiration. In fact, the dealer towed the car around to get it safety certified, it was so close to rolling over 80k. WELL worth it. Cost about $5k up front but I've easily had $10k in repairs in the 4 years I owned it (sunroof, suspension 2x, AC compressor, etc.).

My question is now that I saw the value extracted out of it, can I extend it again for a second time? I've got about 5 months left on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 03:44 PM   #8
tru-jack
Rep
Drives: 2016 328d touring m sport

razrsharp what dealer? I'm not having much luck with warranty at local dealer. thanks
Appreciate 0