BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 water heater valve problem (FEM related?) need help

12-16-2022, 01:03 PM   #1
cagdason
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 E84

F20 water heater valve problem (FEM related?) need help

Dear all, it has been a long time I follow the forum and learned a lot from all of you wish I could also help but knowledge is limited in this field if you need help with Biochemistry let me know

Ok now the real problem I recently buy a F20 2014, it did not come with a second key. Found a shop that does make a key for the car however things go bad. It took them 6 hr to make the key and code the FEM body. I picked the car the key work to operate the car put almost noting FEM controls was working. Next day I got the FEM coded again and now everything start working fine or so I thought. Soon I realized there is no heat. After couple of days and bunch of wrong diagnose and attempts to fix I realized the "Genuine BMW F20 F30 F31 F32 F33 F36 Heater SHUT-OFF Valve OEM 64119254742" is not operating. When I unplug it heat restored. Independent of the temp setting on the climate control the valve remains closed. I measured the voltage to the valve and when the car is off I read 10V and when I turn the ignition on it goes up to battery voltage around 14V so my question is is this related to wrong FEM coding or is this a coincidence that now a sensor gone bad so FEM does not send correct voltage to open the valve. I also realized the start stop is not activating possibly because water temp is not getting high enough as I use the car with the valve unplugged. Or could it be the same heat sensor that controls the valve voltage and start stop failed.

Hope I could explain the problem and some one can help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cagdason; 12-20-2022 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
cagdason
Private
Rep

How can you tell the valve is bad. It functions if it has power and opens when it does not have power. I checked the wire and the voltage to the pump does not change at all when the temp on the climate control unit changed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 03:20 AM   #3
cagdason
Private
Rep

Solved

OK, it seems like after 2 weeks and 4 different mechanics the problem is solved. It was a FEM coding problem, they did it properly (crossing my fingers) this time and the heating problem with the other unidentified issues is solved. Hope it will stay like this for a while.
Appreciate 0