BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > F20 Cruise Control Retrofit

10-17-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
iansolway
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Great Write up, Physical part completed just need to setup software and code?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 04:44 AM   #24
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansolway View Post
Great Write up, Physical part completed just need to setup software and code?
I can point you to the software. I installed this on an old laptop last week & it worked straight away.
Or depending on where you are, I can code yours for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:24 AM   #25
Tazz786
Rep
Drives: F20

Hi all. Just brought a f20 and it has everything I wanted apart from cruise control. I’m looking to buy and add it. The software I may struggle to code but this group hopefully can help me at some point. Just looking on eBay to buy the buttons. They have some that say set res and some say LIM res. Is there any difference in these. Currently I have LIM only.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #26
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz786 View Post
Hi all. Just brought a f20 and it has everything I wanted apart from cruise control. I’m looking to buy and add it. The software I may struggle to code but this group hopefully can help me at some point. Just looking on eBay to buy the buttons. They have some that say set res and some say LIM res. Is there any difference in these. Currently I have LIM only.

Thank you
Hi.

First, you should choose what fits your steering wheel (M-Sport LCI or not).

Second, regarding your question, some of the button sets you consider can be from the 3/4 Series: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...2#post19540432. So it looks like from the functional point of view, wording doesn't really matter.

Third, feel free to consult the forum's model introductory threads (interior pictures, use the "Download the Wallpaper" links to obtain large versions):

Up to this point it looks like F20/F21 pre-LCI and non-M-Sport should say "Set, Res", while M-Sport LCI should say "Lim, Res".

And, of course, try to choose here (adjust it to your car): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-118i&mg=61. Here it seems that "Set" is the currently(?) correct word.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:38 AM   #27
Tazz786
Rep

Thanks all, managed to download ESYS yesterday and watched a video on YouTube about how to install. I then followed the instructions and I've managed to get it all working. A big thank you to you all
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #28
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 330d msport

Hi guys wondering if anyone can help. I’ve fitted the cruise control button on my 116d that previously had just the limiter.

I added 544 and vo coded FEMBODY BKOKBI AND ICM. I had some problems at fist but got all coded without any errors.

However when i try to activate cruise I get the same functionality as before coding. The cruise buttons don’t work and when I press the set button it just act as the limiter like before.

Anyone got any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #29
Tazz786
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster99 View Post
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help. I’ve fitted the cruise control button on my 116d that previously had just the limiter.

I added 544 and vo coded FEMBODY BKOKBI AND ICM. I had some problems at fist but got all coded without any errors.

However when i try to activate cruise I get the same functionality as before coding. The cruise buttons don’t work and when I press the set button it just act as the limiter like before.

Anyone got any ideas?
Hi mate. I'm not brilliant at this. But I did manage to do it with mine. I'd say you havnt done something right. First time I tried mine did the same as yours. Did you update the VO first. Then when you go to the coding save this before again adding 544 to the modules?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #30
Westcoaster99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 330d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz786 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster99 View Post
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help. I've fitted the cruise control button on my 116d that previously had just the limiter.

However when i try to activate cruise I get the same functionality as before coding. The cruise buttons don't work and when I press the set button it just act as the limiter like before.

Anyone got any ideas?
Hi mate. I'm not brilliant at this. But I did manage to do it with mine. I'd say you havnt done something right. First time I tried mine did the same as yours. Did you update the VO first. Then when you go to the coding save this before again adding 544 to the modules?
Got to the bottom of what I was doing wrong. I had 'cleverly' swapped the volume controls from my old buttons to the new cruise buttons. Reason I did this was the volume up bottom on my cruise control set was a bit worn.

Turns out you CANT do this. So note to anyone doing this retrofit make sure you use a matching set. Maybe obvious but worth documenting on here.

Managed to get around my problems by just swapping the actual plastic part of the volume button and keeping the pcb.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #31
its4u2010
Rep
Drives: bmw 118D

Thanks, i'll try on my car
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #32
mattfarr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116SE

Hi all,

Just rejoined the BMW crew after being without one for several years. Pleased to be back.

We’ve bought a 2017 1 series M sport and are dead chuffed with it. Despite it being my car, the wife is saying we should have got cruise control (& heated seats &#128580. Seats aside, she might be right about CC hence why I am on this thread.

I’ve read the above… I’m not an engineer and despite how straight forward it looks because of the good instructions, I would still be reluctant to do it myself. Is there anyone around who can do it from start to finish? Living in Portsmouth… happy to travel a reasonable distance.

Cheers all for your advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #33
clatu
Rep
Drives: F21

Hi , have f21 2013 car imported from uk . speedo in miles . have set units to metric in idrive so mileage reads in km .
anyone know the coding to change cruise control speed to kmh ? still shows miles after metric changes .
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #34
Algon
Netherlands
Rep

Thanks for this guide! Just waiting for my OBD cable to arrive so I can use E-sys. Only thing is I'm not sure what part nr I need for the buttons but will figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 03:07 AM   #35
AlexKull
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Thanks for the guide guys. This will greatly facilitate the work
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:47 AM   #36
vanness.cheng
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the write up! !!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #37
JimboMoss77
Rep
Drives: M135i

How easy is it to remove the existing switches / buttons to install the cruise control buttons (I only have LIM feature)

Do I have to remove the steering wheel? or access easily once air bag is removed?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 09:57 PM   #38
Jacobsanders
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemerton10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
I recently put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

The steps I went through were:

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
For the physical install I used this guide.
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here:
which was surprisingly quick & I didn't break/rip anything )
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Hope this helps someone, but post a message if you need any clarifications.

Hey,

Love this, I am not very mechanically or electrically minded! Just picked up my 116i, really like it! Doesn't have cruise and would be amazing to have it as I do such long driving.

Would you be willing to install for a fee? I can come your way if you don't come up to East Anglia meantime!

Thank you
Mike
Quote:
I recently put cruise control on my F20, and although I had no previous experience of eSys coding, I managed to get that installed & running first time too.

Bought the eSys cable from Amazon (OHP 10122 OBD2 Diagnostic Adapter Connector) along with a USB to Ethernet adapter as my laptop didn't have one (UGREEN USB Ethernet , USB Network Adapter ,USB 2.0 to RJ45 Lan Adapter).
Downloaded the eSys software. I used this guide - I'm sure other guides are available, I'm just stating what worked for me.
Bought the cruise control switches from eBay. There are several different types depending on what steering wheel you have - I used RealOEM to find the correct buttons from my non-Sport wheel. Note although I had a multi function steering wheel (MFSW) I only had the 'LIM' speed limiter button - so the correct part for my car was 61319261859. This is the only BMW part I needed.
I disconnected the battery at this stage before the airbag removal. I'm less worried about exploding the airbag, more about the horn going off during removal!
My airbag was a pain to remove using the slits, so I ended up doing it the way the guide suggested (also shown here:
The removal of my old switches was really easy, and putting the new switches in was plug & play, then pop the airbag back in & the steering column trims back on - physical job done. Reconnect the battery at this stage, and start the car up. the only errors you'll get at this stage are to reset the time & date. The cruise won't work yet, and your new 'SET' button on the left will act as your old 'LIM' button did.

Coding...
In short, I added code 544 to the Vehicle Order (VO, or in German FA). Using the above mentioned guide again, Page 28 onwards, I fired up eSys, selected my car (F020, which is a F20 1 series) and followed the guide. All was crystal clear in the process right up to the coding of individual ECU's - that's where it became 'open to interpretation', but I used the information from the cruise control retrofit guide to code the following ECU's:
- FEM (body)
- ICM
- BCKOMBI (the instruments, sometimes just called Kombi, but it was labelled BCKOMBI in my car)

At this stage I got errors related to tyre pressure control as it needed to be reset (the instruments forget what temporary information they have stored, like bord computer / trip / tyre pressures.

Quick test drive afterwards & cruise works perfectly, I get all the correct messages on the display, the green cruise control warning light and the red or green marker on the speedometer. The jockey wheel works perfectly too for increasing / decreasing the speed. All in all I'm very happy with this, especially as the cost was under £100 (incluing the eSys kit, which I will undoubtedly use again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemerton10 View Post
Quote:

Coding...
- FEM (body)
- ICM

Hey,

Love this, I am not very mechanically or electrically minded! Just picked up my 116i, really like it! Doesn't have cruise and would be amazing to have it as I do such long driving.

Would you be willing to install for a fee? I can come your way if you don't come up to East Anglia meantime!

Thank you
Mike
Cool
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 10:00 PM   #39
Jacobsanders
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

Coding...
- FEM (body)
- ICM

Quote:

Coding...
- FEM (body)
- ICM

Great
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 09:04 AM   #40
Algon
Netherlands
Rep

Ended up upgrading my pre-LCI steering wheel with a LCI steering wheel which already had cruise control buttons. Coding was pretty easy to do.
Just keep in mind your Bimmercode coded options will be gone in the front electronic module.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #41
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algon View Post
Ended up upgrading my pre-LCI steering wheel with a LCI steering wheel which already had cruise control buttons. Coding was pretty easy to do.
Just keep in mind your Bimmercode coded options will be gone in the front electronic module.
What were the coding steps after you have added 544 to the Salapa element?

I tried to code mine but got a 'failed' error relating to Kombi CAFD.

Maybe my 2014 116i f20 n13 Sport needs 540 rather than 544.

S540A Cruise control
S541A Active cruise control
S544A Dynamic cruise control

Not sure what the different types of CC actually are...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 09:02 AM   #42
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

All done and coded

544 worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #43
Algon
Netherlands
Rep

544 it is indeed. Glad to hear everything is working now!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #44
Mohab Rahmoun
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

BMW Fx series Cruise Control Coding

Hi, I had no CC or any bottoms on my steering wheel, and yesterday I changed the steering wheel with one that has CC and multifunction bottoms and I coded the car with 544 and 249 the FEM_BODY, KOMBI, ICM, and I even tried DSC only the multifunction bottoms are working but I always got an error function not active yet or cc not working when I press the CC bottom please help me and thanks
Appreciate 0