BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > n13 fails to start

03-25-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
andreorland0
Rep
Drives: bmw 116i

n13 fails to start

Hello
I recently bought a bmw 116i n13 and the car fails to start. The coolant also starts to disappear and I don't know where it goes. The oil seems to rise, but in the on-board computer everything is at the right level. I've also drained all the oil out and there's no more oil than expected. I've done the compression test and everything seems to be normal. Coolant goes from maximum to minimum in 1 day. Can anyone help me try to understand why the car fails to start and where is the coolant disappearing ? Apparently has no trace of coolant leaks. The car had some coolant leaks but they were fixed and the spark plugs were also replaced.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello.

A possible coolant leak: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=363.

"Fails to start" is quite vague. Does the starter work, is there any fuel? You might need having computer errors read.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #3
andreorland0
Rep

[QUOTE=No one;29970048]Hello.

A possible coolant leak: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...postcount=363.

"Fails to start" is quite vague. Does the starter work, is there any fuel? You might need having computer errors read.

I already turned on the computer error and there is no error. The car has fuel. It is only sometimes that the engine fails to start, namely when I go on the highway and then stop the car, when I turn it back on the car does not start normally.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 02:24 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreorland0 View Post
I already turned on the computer error and there is no error.
I mean fault codes: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1480785, not (just) "user"/iDrive messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreorland0 View Post
The car has fuel. It is only sometimes that the engine fails to start, namely when I go on the highway and then stop the car, when I turn it back on the car does not start normally.
This is quite different from what I thought ("the car doesn't start at all"). I guess I saw a similar complaint, it's just all I remember, unfortunately. Are you sure your ignition coils are fine (they are a typical source of intermittent failures)?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
andreorland0
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
This is quite different from what I thought ("the car doesn't start at all"). I guess I saw a similar complaint, it's just all I remember, unfortunately. Are you sure your ignition coils are fine (they are a typical source of intermittent failures)?
The car has been to the mechanic and everything seems to be fine with the ignition coils.
Appreciate 0