BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Jerky brakes (no elasticity on the brake pedal)

05-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
vladine
Rep
Drives: F20 LCI 125i

Jerky brakes (no elasticity on the brake pedal)

Hello guys!

I'm the new owner of a 125i LCI (~90000 miles) and I need some info about the brakes. I just bought the car (400 miles ago) and I can't get used to the brake pedal. It feels like it has no elasticity at all. When you push the pedal (gently) it feels like the brakes grabs the wheels very hard. I find it hard to stop smoothly, especially at low speed (~30 mph). It's not that annoying to me but to my passengers. Even at higher speed (~90 mph) you have to be extra gentle with your foot. I changed the brake fluid (did the bleeding) and the pads and discs are not that old (~6000 miles) but it feels the same.

Are you experiencing the same "problem"? Are your brakes "linear"? Maybe I just have to get used to it being my 1st BMW.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have owned to F20s. One 116i with the smaller brakes, and one 118i with the big M-Sport brakes. Both had excellent brake feeling with linear response. I sometimes drive rental cars from other brands at work, and my impression is that the BMW is set up with slightly high pedal effort compared to many other cars. Particularly the clutch pedal. The brake pedal also needs a bit more pressure to start braking. When driving VWs with protection shoes, I can feel the car braking before I feel the pedal under my foot.

I have also driven older Citroëns with high pressure hydraulics. They have a brake pedal that hardly moves. It works well, but it feels strange until you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
vladine
Rep

That's strange, mine doesn't feel linear at all and the effort is minimum. I gentle touch the pedal and the brakes just grab the wheels and brutally slows down.

I'll try to find a friend with another >16' bmw to compare the breaks.

Maybe because it's an auto they didn't bother to make a linear pedal.

Thank you for your response!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I would suggest it's either a habit to kick hard or non-OEM pads/disks.

My M-Sport brakes feel comfortable and "linear". I had a jerky clutch that bit instantly hard (making me look like a fool ) when the car was new but then it just "dissolved" quite suddenly after two weeks of standing. When driving a courtesy 3 Series (fresh) with regular brakes I found those "unconvincing" (too soft for my liking).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:09 AM   #5
vladine
Rep

Thanks! I'll try to get used to it.

If not, I'll try to change the pads and discs (with OEM) to see if the problem it's only in my head or it has something to do with it.
Appreciate 0