BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2014 F20 116i shaking/rough idle

02-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #1
JL357
Rep
Drives: BMW E81 118i F20 116i

2014 F20 116i shaking/rough idle

Hi all,

I have an interesting problem, and my mechanics all seem to be stumped.

The car has quite a bad vibration/shaking on idle only when warmed up. There is nothing when driving to indicate an issue. The revs don't bounce around at idle either and there is no power loss or check engine lights. Just a vibration which is really irritating.

I'm getting the following error code when the vehicle is left to idle for 5 minutes or so when warm:

133710: valvetronic, eccentric shaft adaptation. Lower limit position reached.

When this error code is present, the idle completely smooths out and there is no issue whatsoever. Clear the error code and the rough idle/vibration returns. I just drive around with this error stored and the car is perfectly fine.

I'm not sure whether I should be chasing this but it's weird to me that there is an error code stored. If I didn't have ISTA I wouldn't even know there's a problem(?)

Anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this or where to look? ISTA mentions coking on the valves, but they are absolutely spotless so it can't be that.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #2
JL357
Rep

Update on this for anyone who may run into similar issues.

Had the injectors cleaned and spray pattern checked. Also installed new injector seals. Replaced a bunch of vacuum hoses, loose bolts etc - no improvement - The only thing that did change was that the error code was no longer showing up.

Spent more time digging and found that some of the hydraulic lifters on both the intake and the exhaust side had collapsed. Rocker arms were visibly extremely loose on multiple cylinders. Error message makes sense now as the description mentioned not enough air entering the cylinder at idle. Collapsed lifters would mean that the valves weren't opening fully.

Relieved the issue is finally sorted! Everything running perfectly now
Appreciate 2
IJO22.00
      05-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Did you find out what had happened to the lifters? Was there an oil circulation problem before?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 03:48 AM   #4
JL357
Rep

Unfortunately can't say as I've only owned the car a couple months and the problem was getting progressively worse. I don't think this is a common issue - just something to consider if you've exhausted all other options!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:30 AM   #5
VincentBx
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

So concretly you had to replace all the lifters ?
Could you give me more insights on what has been fixed ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 03:16 AM   #6
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentBx View Post
So concretly you had to replace all the lifters ?
Could you give me more insights on what has been fixed ?
Spent more time digging and found that some of the hydraulic lifters on both the intake and the exhaust side had collapsed. Rocker arms were visibly extremely loose on multiple cylinders. Error message makes sense now as the description mentioned not enough air entering the cylinder at idle. Collapsed lifters would mean that the valves weren't opening fully.

Relieved the issue is finally sorted! Everything running perfectly now
"That was his quote
Appreciate 2
IJO22.00
Mosset0.00
      08-12-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
SahinT
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL357 View Post
Hi all,

I have an interesting problem, and my mechanics all seem to be stumped.

The car has quite a bad vibration/shaking on idle only when warmed up. There is nothing when driving to indicate an issue. The revs don't bounce around at idle either and there is no power loss or check engine lights. Just a vibration which is really irritating.

I'm getting the following error code when the vehicle is left to idle for 5 minutes or so when warm:

When this error code is present, the idle completely smooths out and there is no issue whatsoever. Clear the error code and the rough idle/vibration returns. I just drive around with this error stored and the car is perfectly fine.

I'm not sure whether I should be chasing this but it's weird to me that there is an error code stored. If I didn't have ISTA I wouldn't even know there's a problem(?)

Anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this or where to look? ISTA mentions coking on the valves, but they are absolutely spotless so it can't be that.

Thank you!
Hi everyone, i have the same problem. My car is 2013 320i ED n13b16

I check with ista,give this fault code. I haven't a solution. I have changed MAF sensor and Gas throttle.

My problem is clearly; when i first start my car its self throttle to 1500rpm and then everything be normal. There is no problem while driving but every first start and when i using start-stop system my car is throttle up to 1500rpm and go down to 800rpm. My car is at 65.000mil and i have been using for 3 years but i have this problem since 1 or 2 months

I look forward to any idea or solutions. Thank you everyone !!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:38 PM   #8
Devik
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118i N13

Got same symptoms of 133710 code: like Rough Idle, when cold start, it vibrates more for 30 seconds, and feeling vibration when traffic light waiting , 133710 on obdii, but not on dashboard engine light. driving fine with it and smooth after warmup. ISTA shows that The code only appears when idling 0km, with high temperature. So when cold start wont appears, and when driving no appearings. only appear when warmup n waiting traffic light or stop car waiting for people etc... now All know it after ISTA diagnose.

Please see my video for detail of my solution and the relevant parts I changed.

What I did are the below actions by the car repair shops, but didnt work. Anyway, changing those are good for the future use coz they were wear-out and are consuming parts.
-Chinese Chao Yang su318 tires 4x new
-chged low pressure fuel pump and high pressure fuel pump Bosch.
-chged 4x bosch ignition coil
-chged 4x Chinese brand Kinta gingte 鯨特 double iridium spark plugs
-chged air filter Mann
-fixed turbo coolant tube leak: chged 2x o ring
-Cleaned carbon of intake manifold and throttle body, cylinders x2 times
-chged engine oil with filter Mobil 5w30,API:SP 4L, toped up Chinese Lopal 5w40 API:SP BMW LL-04 recognized engine oil 1L after 4000km
-chged valve cover to aluminium and gasket and spark plug o ring.
-chged engine mount rubber 2x and transmission mount rubber 2x
-chged carbon canister solenoid with valve
-chged water pump wheel n friction wheel belt tensioner
-chged transmission oil ravenol 8hp and oil pan, filter, gasket
-chged turbo air intake big black tube.
-chged rubber seal of fuel injectors
-fuel injectors cleaned
-chged fuse top cover
-chged chinese brand SDCX 8 brake pads x4 wheels.
-chged 2x front brake disc bmw brand, 2x back brake disc Chinese brand "胜地 Winhere" . Chinese bosch dot4 brake fluid. 1x left front brake line sensor.
-chged AC filter Chinese brand 鯨特gingte
-BMW DME programmed to latest.
-AC check leak n refrigerant addup
-tested with MAF sensor changed
-tested with Valvetronic eccentric shaft motor changed.

Also:
After changing the eccentric shaft motor, it is still on 133710 fault code, so disappointed.. and stop fixing now, the engineer said all related methods have been tried it's about the eccentric shaft, bearings, spring, rocker arm, hydraulic lifters, camshaft etc stuff inside the valve cover. So needa dismantle the cylinder head, checking piece by piece for all elements n parts, which takes lots of time and effort and money. Because some slight problems/ defects/crack may cause it, not big crack so hard to identify by visual inspection. He suggested me not to fix it coz not worth it since no dashboard engine light or no any fault light unless I actively use OBDII to diagnose it. driving fine n smooth with the code. and it's occasionally happen when idling, then it just stores it in record. wont matter. wait till it hs big problem or daahboard light then have it fixed better.

update for this. did 6 times 120km freeway 1 hr long drive. with 6 bottles of fuel additive carbon cleaner. the code first time auto disappeared without my obd code clear, 2 weeks didnt come agn. good news!! at least it auto disappears, even later it appears agn, which doesnt mean anything, just idling air not enough. now I think it's okay coz 120km with fuel additive carbon cleaner. the cylinder, fuel line, n all rocker arms, hydralic lifters etc mechanics rotating to the fastest ever, which make them loose and rearrange or realign etc .so loosen n the air intake more in, so enough air while idling now.. n dirtiness n mud all spreading out... now shd be okay n temporary solved at least or it is a long term solution already.. happy n content elated jubilant....

Update again, there has been no 133710 error code for more than a month, and the problem has basically been solved. That is to use 6 bottles of fuel oil additive carbon cleaner and run the high way 6 times, each time driving for more than 1 hour at 120km/h. solved! happy! !

Last edited by Devik; 04-25-2023 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 02:19 AM   #9
Devik
Rep

update on this, 1 month more after 133710 disappeared, today appeared again, and more frequent apperance now. freeway just solved temporarily. now code back on. no solution yet! should be the valvetronic eccentric shaft, walker arms, etc..... fkc!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #10
Devik
Rep

updated for this, just ignore it ok, on and off, not frequently appear now. sometimes, more vibration or rpm fluctuation at startup, but once warm up, which will be okay. even code on, doesnt matter. driving fine, once accelerating wont have problems. one time stall when moving slowly without accelerator pedal. so now back to ok, no worries. ignore it till it hs real serious problems. so far no..
Appreciate 0