BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

03-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #7591
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Body cam footage from Nashville. Extremely well done by the responding officers.

Apparently at least one of them also plays rugby regularly to stay in shape, and it shows from that leg strength hauling ass up the stairs.

And for a group that was comprised of guys that don't normally work as a team clearing buildings, they did well.

As morbid as it sounds, I found satisfaction in watching the shooters body collapse.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2023, 03:27 PM   #7592
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I, wife and niece watching the news last night. All the typical talking heads says we gotta do this and that to restrict GUNS. Those two started in to. I had to get up and leave the dinner table, spouting off as I left that guns don't kill people, people kill people. For dramatic effect, I wanted to go in and get all my guns, varying in the 40+ years of ownership, and show them that none of my guns have run off to a school and shot anyone.

This poor misguide "female" is being touted as such a rare bird. No, she has mental issues that need to be addressed. Spend all that $$$ from enforcement and tracking to help these mentally ill people before they go off on society that they can't seem to fit into.

<stepping away from computer before ban-hammer>
S1nner126.00
vreihen1615118.00
      03-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #7593
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Most "mass shootings" are targeted violence among poorer / impoverished minorities with somewhat more limited opportunities in life. Ie stuff like a drive by that hits 5 people, someone returns fire and hits 2 in the car, etc.

Most RANDOM mass shootings (mall shootings, school shootings, etc like is typically portrayed as the standard) are extensions of suicide by cop. Entirely different situations aside from the involvement of firearms.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      03-29-2023, 06:14 AM   #7594
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
And for a group that was comprised of guys that don't normally work as a team clearing buildings, they did well.

As morbid as it sounds, I found satisfaction in watching the shooters body collapse.
She dropped like the sack of sh!t she was. One shot might have hit the CNS (brain, spine) which turned her off like a light.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #7595
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

And last night, the rep from the district was on the news saying the same: "We need to address the people, not the guns"

Did I hear NBC actually correct themselves and say she didn't have AK-47, but instead a Kalashnikov? What, you mean it wouldn't have been banned because not an assault rifle?

Further info, "the system" broke down and she was on all kinds of meds, but her Dr. didn't do his/her due diligence and report the meds so that when she went and bought 2 rifles and a handgun, she flew right thru.
      03-29-2023, 08:54 AM   #7596
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, Sedan_Clan how much hazing will the unfortunate CHP that had his cruiser stolen and then the perp jumped out at 50MPH be getting for the next several years? I imagine their is a large bar tab in his future.
      03-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #7597
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

The drop was satisfactory. Part of me wishes that she was alive and we still tortured people so that she could experience a taste of the pain she has visited on the families of the people she killed.

Then again, I know that's not for me to judge and I'm confident she's been judged by God and Hell is not a place I could ever imagine adequately, but I believe she is there, so her punishment will be adequate, it is not necessary for me to see it in order for it to be adequate.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:38 AM   #7598
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i dont have any issues with those that own guns.
My only issue are those have guns that target innocent children/adults at school, mall or any place of gathering.

only solution is eliminate the threat
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 11:13 AM   #7599
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i dont have any issues with those that own guns.
My only issue are those have guns that target innocent children/adults at school, mall or any place of gathering.

only solution is eliminate the threat
Unsure - are you proposing to eliminate firearms or the shooter? Can't tell which you judge to be the threat.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #7600
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

This is the way I see it:

There are over 600 million guns in the US, with approximately 100 million to 130 million gun owners per Pew research and other reputable organizations.

Roughly 35,000 people per year die in "gun violence", of which suicides account for roughly 2/3. Leaving around 12,000 or so for a combination of homicide, negligence, police-involved, and self defense (which, technically, is also charged as homicide, just justified vs unjustified).

Even if you don't break down that 12,000-ish and leave it all lumped together....

12,000 / 100,000,000 (at the lowest / most pessimistic ratio) = 0.00012.

This alone tells me guns aren't anywhere near the problem they're made out to be.

Expanding on that further, roughly 500-600 of those are from rifles (all kinds, and including "mass shootings", so bolt action, AR types, etc). Blunt objects (hammers, fists, bats, etc) account for more each year per FBI / DOJ statistics.

Meanwhile, out of the suicides (again, not my choice to lump them in with "gun violence", it's the anti-gun side that keeps doing that), roughly 3,000 each year are from veterans alone.

So you could do more to reduce "gun violence" by addressing veteran issues than any assault weapon ban, even if your assault weapon ban had 100% compliance and worked perfectly (loooool. Yeah right).
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 6
      03-29-2023, 01:11 PM   #7601
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
This is the way I see it:

There are over 600 million guns in the US, with approximately 100 million to 130 million gun owners per Pew research and other reputable organizations.

Roughly 35,000 people per year die in "gun violence", of which suicides account for roughly 2/3. Leaving around 12,000 or so for a combination of homicide, negligence, police-involved, and self defense (which, technically, is also charged as homicide, just justified vs unjustified).

Even if you don't break down that 12,000-ish and leave it all lumped together....

12,000 / 100,000,000 (at the lowest / most pessimistic ratio) = 0.00012.

This alone tells me guns aren't anywhere near the problem they're made out to be.

Expanding on that further, roughly 500-600 of those are from rifles (all kinds, and including "mass shootings", so bolt action, AR types, etc). Blunt objects (hammers, fists, bats, etc) account for more each year per FBI / DOJ statistics.

Meanwhile, out of the suicides (again, not my choice to lump them in with "gun violence", it's the anti-gun side that keeps doing that), roughly 3,000 each year are from veterans alone.

So you could do more to reduce "gun violence" by addressing veteran issues than any assault weapon ban, even if your assault weapon ban had 100% compliance and worked perfectly (loooool. Yeah right).
Unhealthy mental state is the threat. Veterans are pumped full of meds and sent on their way without much effort to try and understand and treat the real issues they are having, which is often guilt from losing friends overseas or the feeling of being useless and unwanted after they leave service or return from deployments. Same can be said for mental health in the civilian population, just pump em full of meds, charge the ever-living piss out of them sending them into debt and send em on their way. In the case of the school shooter, they were already on multiple medications that should have flagged them to not be able to purchase/own firearms, but the doctor apparently never reported anything (not sure how that works, this is just what I've read).

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      03-29-2023, 01:20 PM   #7602
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Unhealthy mental state is the threat. Veterans are pumped full of meds and sent on their way without much effort to try and understand and treat the real issues they are having, which is often guilt from losing friends overseas or the feeling of being useless and unwanted after they leave service or return from deployments. Same can be said for mental health in the civilian population, just pump em full of meds, charge the ever-living piss out of them sending them into debt and send em on their way. In the case of the school shooter, they were already on multiple medications that should have flagged them to not be able to purchase/own firearms, but the doctor apparently never reported anything (not sure how that works, this is just what I've read).
And this should embarrass every single American taxpayer, that those who often gave their all are left on the streets with no support.

It's tough being a cold-hearted bastage, but we shouldn't send a single penny overseas to care for non-Americans until all our veterans are being properly cared for. There will still be a few that choose something different than a fully-functional member of society, and we need to make allowances for that choice. The least we can do to honor their choice to put on a uniform.
cmyx6go15679.00
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      03-29-2023, 01:40 PM   #7603
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
Unsure - are you proposing to eliminate firearms or the shooter? Can't tell which you judge to be the threat.
-SHOOTER-
Appreciate 3
      03-29-2023, 01:49 PM   #7604
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And this should embarrass every single American taxpayer, that those who often gave their all are left on the streets with no support.

It's tough being a cold-hearted bastage, but we shouldn't send a single penny overseas to care for non-Americans until all our veterans are being properly cared for. There will still be a few that choose something different than a fully-functional member of society, and we need to make allowances for that choice. The least we can do to honor their choice to put on a uniform.
Wanna really be disgusted? Theres a new bill that proposes removing veteran disability payments if your household makes over gross $125k annually. For every $2 you make over 125k you lose 1$ of veteran disability payments, or vice-versa I cant remember. If you make over $175k annually you lose all disability payments. A 100% disabled veteran can take home up to $3300 max a month I think it is?

Oh you lost both legs to a roadside bomb? Disabled, and can't work, and have 3 kids to support? Well your wife as a nurse makes $150k annually so, were just gonna take most of your VA disability away because, you know, you guys are doing fine.

Oh you suffer from PTS and limited mobility from being shot 6 times while dragging your dead buddies body out of enemy fire and are now limited to what you can do? Oh cool you still work being disabled and make $40k a year, awesome! Well your wife makes $90k/yr and combined thats $130k so you're over that limit so... yeah were just gonna cut a bunch of your disability payments.

It is fucking repulsive that this was even written.

EDIT: Not a proposed bill, but options proposed by the CBO
https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/58653
https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/58654
https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/58631

Last edited by ///d; 03-29-2023 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-29-2023, 05:24 PM   #7605
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, Sedan_Clan how much hazing will the unfortunate CHP that had his cruiser stolen and then the perp jumped out at 50MPH be getting for the next several years? I imagine their is a large bar tab in his future.
Well, it'll depend on how it was stolen in my opinion. We leave our cars running all day, everywhere we go. Somebody could essentially break/slim-jim a window, etc. and just jump in and drive away. The key to my Ford SUV will open ANY Ford car in the fleet.............in the entire county. Maybe the perp had a key and opened it!?!? If the CHP Officer simply left the door unlocked, he'll probably hear about that mishap for quite some time.

P.S. The contributions one the last page or two have been really insightful.
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2023, 05:47 PM   #7606
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Well, it'll depend on how it was stolen in my opinion. We leave our cars running all day, everywhere we go. Somebody could essentially break/slim-jim a window, etc. and just jump in and drive away. The key to my Ford SUV will open ANY Ford car in the fleet.............in the entire county. Maybe the perp had a key and opened it!?!? If the CHP Officer simply left the door unlocked, he'll probably hear about that mishap for quite some time.

I know of two occasions that a scout car was stolen....both times the officer jumped out, left the keys in it running and the door open. Rookie mistakes, on the one occasion the thief drove almost 100 miles away, on the radio the whole time with the radio room Sgt. trying to talk him into surrendering. He eventually did, but the officer took some serious abuse for a very long time.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 06:38 PM   #7607
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:

Why do you leave your car running so much? Are you required to do that? Do you need to do that to keep the computers online? Fast getaway from the donut shop?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 08:32 PM   #7608
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I know of two occasions that a scout car was stolen....both times the officer jumped out, left the keys in it running and the door open. Rookie mistakes, on the one occasion the thief drove almost 100 miles away, on the radio the whole time with the radio room Sgt. trying to talk him into surrendering. He eventually did, but the officer took some serious abuse for a very long time.
That must've been a hot call. That's mainly when I have witnessed that occur. I've done it myself on a few occasions during traffic stops (...usually if they pull into a parking lot or something), and I immediately think, "Damn it! I didn't close the door."....but I'm already approaching the car so it's too late for back-tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Why do you leave your car running so much? Are you required to do that? Do you need to do that to keep the computers online? Fast getaway from the donut shop?
Cops working patrol rarely, if ever, shut off cars. There's servers, radios, this and that.......and the communications will shut off a short time after the car is turned off. Also, if it's hot, we are running the A/C all day; if it's cold, the heater is on all day.

LOL @ donut shop. For me it's more like the local pizza joint, Coldstone or Baskin Robbins.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2023, 02:42 AM   #7609
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The officer remained professional throughout the whole encounter.

dradernh4346.00
vreihen1615118.00
      04-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #7610
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

One of our patrol cars was stolen today; CHP patrol car theft copy cat. Pursuit ongoing as we speak.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 04-03-2023 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 05:30 PM   #7611
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Today one of our patrol cars were stolen; CHP patrol car theft copy cat. Pursuit ongoing as we speak.

Doh!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      04-03-2023, 07:30 PM   #7612
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
One of our patrol cars was stolen today; CHP patrol car theft copy cat. Pursuit ongoing as we speak.

I mean, you have to admire the audacity of stealing a patrol car. I mean the nerve,

Hope you catch him fast with no harm done,
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50