BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Recommend a digital camera

08-29-2023, 10:03 AM   #1
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Recommend a digital camera

My wife as a hobby likes doing still photography with her iPhone.

Wanted to try astrophotography. And I like taking pictures in the city of railroad, bridges etcetera.

The Hasselblad 907x - price and lens pkg - would be a nice special item and aware of autofocus slowness ? Aware of lens prices when adding in the future.

The Leica SL ( I think SL3 projected for 2024 ) the initial price is serious and I don’t know the products well enough ( Hasselblad price I think it’s is under 7k usd and Leica SL was closer to 10k )

What special camera would you get ?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I think you're starting at the top with Hasselblad and Leica. If you're just starting out I think there are much less expensive options that will give you similar quality.
Appreciate 6
overcoil3073.50
c1pher4656.50
celsdogg321.50
      08-29-2023, 10:48 AM   #3
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
I do a lot of photoshop work for our website and I will tell you that most digital cameras that can export high definition pictures in RAW format will allow you to take the photos in a lot of directions.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50
      08-29-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Here is my set up:
Nikon D7200
Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E ED VR
Nikon AF-S Micro NIKKOR 40mm F2.8G
Software: Photoshop CS
Software: Pixelmator Pro
IMO the Photoshop is too expensive for new purchase and the learning curve is steep.
I do most of my photo editing on a IMac using Pixelmator Pro. Better learning curve and way cheaper.
Hope that helps.
Lightbox 36x36x36
Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50
      08-29-2023, 12:27 PM   #5
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

All of the current crop of SLRs and mirrorless camera take great quality pictures, so it comes down to your wife’s preferences.

First question - does she really want to play with all the settings to improve her pictures, and use zoom lenses and other optics? iPhones do all the settings automatically, and they are easy to carry and use. Cameras give you much more flexibility, but most can also be left on auto and work similarly to an iPhone. However, cameras are also much larger to carry, so she might not always want to take one along.

Buying a Leica, or especially a Hasselblad, is like starting your wife out with an M5 because she wants to learn more about driving. There are many other high quality cameras at a lower price point.

I would start her out with a small mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses as a start. In the old days I would start out with used equipment, but most used is selling at top prices, so new may be better. A Fujifilm or Sony with a zoom kit lens would be an excellent start. Fuji uses more of a retro style for most of their cameras, while Sony is more modern looking.

If she wants to learn a lot about photography and camera settings, the Fuji X-T5 with a zoom lens is an excellent choice. All the key settings can be made with manual dials, or you can leave it all or partially on automatic. It’s like buying a car with a manual transmission in a world where everyone else only has automatic transmissions. However, if you decide to tweak all the settings to the Nth degree you can make it more complicated to “tune” than most computers.
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2023, 01:32 PM   #6
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

I have used Canon camera’s for many years. They make some great mirrorless cameras, as do Nikon, Sony, Hasselblad, and Leica.

The one thing I always tell people is that it’s not just about the camera. The ‘lenses’ are what make a huge difference. Primes (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, etc.) and zooms (wide angles, medium telephoto, etc.) can all get very expensive. The ‘kit’ lenses are usually for beginners, and will eventually just collect dust once the person learns their way. They are also ‘limiting’ in their f-stop ranges, as well as sharpness, to mention a couple of things.

Astrophotography usually requires a really wide lens with a fast (f-1.2, 1.4, 1.8) aperture to capture lots of light. Not to mention all the attachments that are needed to keep the camera moving with the Earth’s rotation. It adds up quick, and takes a lot of knowledge to get up and running with that type of photography.

Cities/architecture/everyday stuff, a decent 24-105mm zoom with at least a max aperture of f/4 should suffice. Stabilization in these types of lenses allows for slower shutter speeds, such as when shooting in a dimly lit restaurant with a nice ambiance.

B&H has a great used dept. as does Adorama, both of which are based out of NYC. If out of State, they also provide great customer service/returns/etc.

GL with your decision, and given that I’m a Canon shooter, my suggestion would be a Canon Eos R kit with the 24-105mm f4 L lens (red rings around the lenses are used to depict ‘luxury’ lenses and they are some of the best in the industry).
Appreciate 3
overcoil3073.50
DocL1927.00
      08-29-2023, 01:40 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am a bit of a Sony fanboy. I have liked the features, intuitive functions and performance for the price. I've also used Olympus, Nikon and FujiFilm. But to be honest, I normally just use my phone more and more (your best camera is the one with you). I have also used Moment lenses, particularly the anamorphic one for movies. The other thing I use is a DJI gimble. Those two items with my iPhone have really made things easier compared to a camera bag with associated gear and I get very close to the full camera experience. I admit, I have given in lol.

Last edited by c1pher; 08-29-2023 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50
      08-29-2023, 03:12 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
All of the current crop of SLRs and mirrorless camera take great quality pictures, so it comes down to your wife’s preferences.

First question - does she really want to play with all the settings to improve her pictures, and use zoom lenses and other optics? iPhones do all the settings automatically, and they are easy to carry and use. Cameras give you much more flexibility, but most can also be left on auto and work similarly to an iPhone. However, cameras are also much larger to carry, so she might not always want to take one along.

I.
Primarily the camera is for me in my spare time.

At this point my wife doesn't even know I'm looking at cameras.
I think she will enjoy one once I get it. Totally annoys me but she collects make-up brushes and likes posting pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 03:20 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
I have used Canon camera’s for many years. They make some great mirrorless cameras, as do Nikon, Sony, Hasselblad, and Leica.

The one thing I always tell people is that it’s not just about the camera. The ‘lenses’ are what make a huge difference. Primes (24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, etc.) and zooms (wide angles, medium telephoto, etc.) can all get very expensive. The ‘kit’ lenses are usually for beginners, and will eventually just collect dust once the person learns their way. They are also ‘limiting’ in their f-stop ranges, as well as sharpness, to mention a couple of things.

Astrophotography usually requires a really wide lens with a fast (f-1.2, 1.4, 1.8) aperture to capture lots of light. Not to mention all the attachments that are needed to keep the camera moving with the Earth’s rotation. It adds up quick, and takes a lot of knowledge to get up and running with that type of photography.

Cities/architecture/everyday stuff, a decent 24-105mm zoom with at least a max aperture of f/4 should suffice. Stabilization in these types of lenses allows for slower shutter speeds, such as when shooting in a dimly lit restaurant with a nice ambiance.

B&H has a great used dept. as does Adorama, both of which are based out of NYC. If out of State, they also provide great customer service/returns/etc.

GL with your decision, and given that I’m a Canon shooter, my suggestion would be a Canon Eos R kit with the 24-105mm f4 L lens (red rings around the lenses are used to depict ‘luxury’ lenses and they are some of the best in the industry).
Having a Takahashi telescope sort of shifted me toward a nice unique camera. The Tak refractors use trick fluorite Canon lenses. From my bit of research Sony does some excellent sensors and Canon does some excellent lenses.

Adorama I saw listed on the Hasselbald web-site. I needed a reason to ride my motorcycle to N.Y. and that was going to be my destination.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
Totally annoys me but she collects make-up brushes and likes posting pictures.
Could be worse, she could collect diamonds?
Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50
      08-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #11
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
If your shooting small items especially to sell. A light box is your best friend.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps

IMO you will have to have a Micro lens like my Nikon AF-S Micro NIKKOR 40mm F2.8G. Yes you can spend a bunch of money on a lens but for your first one keep it simple and not $$$$.

I mentioned before the editing software. Skill with editing program will fix a multiple of evils. Here is a picture from our site as an example. Light box + NIKKOR 40mm + Pixelmator Pro. These are a nightmare to shot as they are only 5mm in diameter and cast a ton of shadows.

Appreciate 3
      08-29-2023, 03:45 PM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
IMO the Photoshop is too expensive for new purchase and the learning curve is steep.
Photoshop + RAW is $9.99 a month, which isn't too bad at all.

I think once you learn a few things in PS you're good to go. The last thing you want to be is one of these filter guys that over-processes everything. Simple is always best, and that doesn't take long at all. I used to teach guys all the basics for $100 in an hour, but the same can be found on YouTube for free.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      08-29-2023, 04:31 PM   #13
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Photoshop + RAW is $9.99 a month, which isn't too bad at all.
I get US$20.99/month
https://www.adobe.com/products/photo...are-plans.html

Pixelmator Pro One time $34.99 IMac not included
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pixelm...89583905?mt=12
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 04:33 PM   #14
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Quote:
Adorama I saw listed on the Hasselbald web-site. I needed a reason to ride my motorcycle to N.Y. and that was going to be my destination.
Adorama is a much smaller shop than B&H! Just make sure you don’t go on a Friday evening or Saturday, as they are closed for Sabbath after sundown on Friday’s. They are open Sunday’s though, when traffic in the City is much lighter, and, I know B&H will validate parking if you buy something from them and park in their lot off of 9th Ave. Plus, B&H’s conveyer belt system is a sight to see! Haha.

GL with your decision!

Last edited by mcsquared; 08-29-2023 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      08-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I've had the subscription since 12/24/16, so maybe that's why. I started with PS in 2000, so it's pretty intuitive to me.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      08-30-2023, 04:18 PM   #16
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I've had the subscription since 12/24/16, so maybe that's why. I started with PS in 2000, so it's pretty intuitive to me.
I can't provide proof but I think Adobe lowered the price a good bit a couple years ago as there was a lot of people leaving. We owe a licensed copy of CS so I haven't had to deal with it. That said I can get everything I need with Pixelmator Pro and the learning curve was almost immediate.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 04:28 PM   #17
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Every company wants a monthly nut. I stopped using them once that happened.
Appreciate 2
      09-16-2023, 09:43 PM   #18
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

You need to go to a Best Buy or camera store. Just pick up cameras and try to take a photo. Then consider what you want to control.. or how you want the subject to look. Then 1 or 2 models will rise to the top.

All of the controls and icons are proprietary. So you have to choose what's easiest for you to learn. (and explain or setup for your wife).
I just went through this. I switched from a semi professional level of Nikon and lots of associated gear to an enthusiast level Canon (R8) with 2 lenses and a flash. My kit fits in 1 bag and can do everything I do.. portraits, wildlife, street and family/kid stuff. I can't do any 1 thing extremely well, though. I'm waiting to see what lenses I really need. They cost 1 to several thousands for the L version.. Nikon, Sony, etc all have a high end line.

I've owned a Hasselblad, back in the film days. Its nice gear. Leica I've used is very nice too. It really lets people know you're serious (or rich, or showy). It's the Rolex or Tag of photography. Nothing bad but know what you're paying for.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #19
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I believe there's a MPB on the east coast. I think they have a store but I can't find an address for it.

The astro stuff might rule my pick out. But it's such an oddball camera that it's hard to find anyone using it.

The Sigma SD Quattro H. It's the only camera that is different that ALL the others. Do some reading about it. Look at sample pictures from it. I have not had the pleasure to own one, I came close.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigma-sd-quattro-h

fwiw, I shoot on a Sony A99 for now. I'm looking to upgrade to a Canon R5. For the work I do, motorsports, it's what I'm after.

*12-22-2023 edit*
I bought a Sony a9 as my new to me primary camera. It's really cool!

Last edited by iminhell1; 12-31-2023 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #20
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
My wife as a hobby likes doing still photography with her iPhone.

Wanted to try astrophotography. And I like taking pictures in the city of railroad, bridges etcetera.

The Hasselblad 907x - price and lens pkg - would be a nice special item and aware of autofocus slowness ? Aware of lens prices when adding in the future.

The Leica SL ( I think SL3 projected for 2024 ) the initial price is serious and I don’t know the products well enough ( Hasselblad price I think it’s is under 7k usd and Leica SL was closer to 10k )

What special camera would you get ?

Ok, I don't usually reply to these kind of posts as they go into a different direction so quickly. Not knowing what you (your wife) really want out of a camera makes it almost impossible to make a recommendation. I did see later that the camera was really for you.... so..... let's try.

The two cameras you mention are certainly very nice cameras. You say you want to try astrophotography (long lens - close images of the moon and IIS (or other planets), or wide for panoramic shots) and then mention city shoots of bridges and stuff (wide angle lens).

I shoot Canon stuff (old DSLR). My main setup is a D1sMKIII with a 400mm f.2.8 lens. As I said, old school stuff. I primarily shoot road race events and drag race stuff, and that setup works well for me. An ultra wide angle zoom works for on pit road and around the pits.

I saw someone shooting a large format camera and said if I ever wanted to upgrade I would have to try this out. The images he showed me were spectacular.

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/cameras/gfx100/

Last edited by andrewmr; 10-02-2023 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 08:44 AM   #21
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I've been shooting professionally for thirty years and I got a laugh out of the Hasselblad and Leica mention, are you a physician? Anyway, if your wife is a beginner, I'd suggest buying a clean used camera and lens, the brand isn't to important as long as it's one of the top brands. I'd stay away from the third party lenses and the variable aperture variations. Although, I am impressed with my Sigma 35/1.4 but there are exceptions to every rule. Also, a solid tripod will be your most important purchase and I've purchased both of mine used and they've served me well.

Knowledge wise, I'd check out fredmiranda.com, fstoppers and photography-on-the.net/forum/ for more information, I am on those the most.
      12-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #22
RobotDoctor
Professional Nomad
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i F36 Sportline

I am biased between Canon and Nikon. I have two DSLR camera platforms, Canon 60D and a Nikon D800. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For ease of use and preset modes I would pick the Canon. For advantages for being a full frame I would side with the Nikon. The disadvantage of the Nikon is having to learn how to capture great shots (speed and light settings). I have learned how to set the Nikon fairly well so I don't have to enhance the capture with a lot of photo editing. The advantage I have with the Canon is versatility having an ultra wide telephoto lens (10mm - 22mm). Both cameras have really decent every day telephoto lenses but the Nikon doesn't have the ultra wide telephoto. I love nature photography so the ultra wide is really nice to have.
Appreciate 0