BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i M Performance Exhaust

03-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
olko
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

M135i M Performance Exhaust

All,
I received 3 weeks ago my M Performance exhaust and done now nearly 4000km with the new pipes. The sound is awesome, but it is actually funny. I would say 80% of the sound is coming from the right pipe and 20% from the left. So there is an uneven sound if you standing in the back of the car. You can hear the difference even better when you start the cold engine. Left pipe nearly no sound at all then. Someone experienced the same ? Thank you for responses.

Oliver
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
AAddict
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by olko View Post
All,
I received 3 weeks ago my M Performance exhaust and done now nearly 4000km with the new pipes. The sound is awesome, but it is actually funny. I would say 80% of the sound is coming from the right pipe and 20% from the left. So there is an uneven sound if you standing in the back of the car. You can hear the difference even better when you start the cold engine. Left pipe nearly no sound at all then. Someone experienced the same ? Thank you for responses.

Oliver
Only the right hand pipe is open on the cold start sequence, then both pipes fully open in Sport/Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
GeoBem007
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i

You can apply the Golf Tee mod to open both pipes all the time
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
olko
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Perfect, thank you for clarification.

Oliver
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Mine of useful information

Quote:
Originally Posted by olko View Post
All,

Oliver

Dear Oliver, would really appreciate a little more information

How does the new exhaust actually sound (other than awesome)....how much louder than standard, what about cruising....does it drone or still sound good. Is it intrusive....can you hear people talk OK you're not hard on the gas. What about fitting....easy? How much did it cost? Thanks a lot

Cheerio!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
samboy37
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 lci m3 mw/black/black/mpe

Hi guys
Got a pe on my m135i and agree it sounds terrific. Should be standard on the car
Great burble off throttle. Awesome deep raspy cold start up. Generally just better across the board
Drive with windows down lots more now. Am in oz though so nice and warm here!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #7
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i & Cayenne V6

I have the M Performance Exhaust too and think it was a good investment, though honestly speaking, a bit too quiet for my tastes (I sold my Megane RS Trophy 265 with KTec Sports exhaust to buy my M135i).

I agree that it sounds much better with the windows open, allowing you to hear a little bit of crackle and pop on overrun (perhaps I say a little because I am comparing it to my Megane).

Not much change at idle, though this is what would be expected for most well-done sports mufflers (Supersprint being one of the best examples for BMW straight 6 engines). But where you really hear and feel the difference is at anything above 4000rpm where the M Performance system really enhances and sharpens up the straight 6 howl. Though peak torque is available at an astonishingly low 1300rpm which means that you don't really need to rev the engine, the sound is so good with this muffler that I find myself pushing right past the red line to about 7200-7300 rpm just to enjoy the sound!

Its a well judged unit that accomplishes what it set out to do - enhance and highlight the sound of a great engine made too quiet by use of a turbocharger, but in a way that continues to allow it to be driven as an upscale cruiser.

Like Porsche's expensive aftermarket sports exhausts (I had one in my 2010 Boxster S), the focus is far more on improving and enhancing the sound of a great engine for those like me who care a lot about the engine note, than on increasing performance and hp figures, and in that at least I think M Performance accomplished their goal quite well...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 04:03 AM   #8
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

LOL - like most of my other posts, I'm afraid I killed this thread too.

Just wanted to add that I just did a test drive of the Alpina B3 which has the Akrapovic exhaust as standard. Though the car makes more than 400hp and has been tested doing 0-100kph in 4 flat, I am happy to say that at least IMHO the M135 with M Performance exhaust sounds much sportier at almost every rpm level (also a bit louder, but in a very refined yet sporty way). Though the B3 is a great car and the steering feel is one of the best electric units I've ever driven (reminds me of my Boxster S which was hydraulic), I think there is just too much insulation between the driver and the engine to really hear anything going on below 5000rpm. Perhaps another part of the problem is that Alpina refuses to resort to using the stereo for piping in artificial engine noise like the M3/4/5/6 and M135.

Anyhow, getting back into my M135 I felt that at least in terms of sharpness of throttle response (possible due to it being 170kg lighter than the B3) and the excellent aural feedback from the M Performance exhaust, the car FEELS, ACTS and SOUNDS sportier than the Alpina at all but the very highest speeds (I had the B3 up to about 220kph which is about the point the car really started showing off its strengths, but thats well over double to posted speed limit and I didn't want to test my luck with the salesman!). The new B3 is simply light years ahead of my old E46 B3S, but honestly speaking I think the M135 is the deal of the century in the BMW lineup, one of the best cars they've made in decades!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
LOL - like most of my other posts, I'm afraid I killed this thread too.

Just wanted to add that I just did a test drive of the Alpina B3 which has the Akrapovic exhaust as standard. Though the car makes more than 400hp and has been tested doing 0-100kph in 4 flat, I am happy to say that at least IMHO the M135 with M Performance exhaust sounds much sportier at almost every rpm level (also a bit louder, but in a very refined yet sporty way). Though the B3 is a great car and the steering feel is one of the best electric units I've ever driven (reminds me of my Boxster S which was hydraulic), I think there is just too much insulation between the driver and the engine to really hear anything going on below 5000rpm. Perhaps another part of the problem is that Alpina refuses to resort to using the stereo for piping in artificial engine noise like the M3/4/5/6 and M135.

Anyhow, getting back into my M135 I felt that at least in terms of sharpness of throttle response (possible due to it being 170kg lighter than the B3) and the excellent aural feedback from the M Performance exhaust, the car FEELS, ACTS and SOUNDS sportier than the Alpina at all but the very highest speeds (I had the B3 up to about 220kph which is about the point the car really started showing off its strengths, but thats well over double to posted speed limit and I didn't want to test my luck with the salesman!). The new B3 is simply light years ahead of my old E46 B3S, but honestly speaking I think the M135 is the deal of the century in the BMW lineup, one of the best cars they've made in decades!
Thanks MTG for your reports,
I always enjoy reading them, you describe things perfectly. Im in the very early stages of ownership, only 200 miles in fact, and im already very taken with the M135i. The creamy smoothness of the car, is an everlasting impression i have of it. The torque is available so early on, it beggars belief. Ive owned many expensive cars, and when i ordered this car, i felt like i had taken a step backwards, maybe getting older and more sensible ?, but upon collecting it, this couldnt be further from the truth. The car has quality and performance to match far more expensive vehicles, and i feel i have found a hidden gem, and that its almost a secret, that only a few of us share. Thinking of the MPE myself, and have read your posts with great interest. I think its obvious you feel this is the right exhaust for the car, not too loud to affect cruising, but loud enough to be fun, with crackles and pops when needed ?. The alternative for me would be the BCS exhaust we have over here, which is a full system, if we so wish, with sports cat, but im not sure if its needed after your reports ?, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Thanks MTG for your reports,
I always enjoy reading them, you describe things perfectly. Im in the very early stages of ownership, only 200 miles in fact, and im already very taken with the M135i. The creamy smoothness of the car, is an everlasting impression i have of it. The torque is available so early on, it beggars belief. Ive owned many expensive cars, and when i ordered this car, i felt like i had taken a step backwards, maybe getting older and more sensible ?, but upon collecting it, this couldnt be further from the truth. The car has quality and performance to match far more expensive vehicles, and i feel i have found a hidden gem, and that its almost a secret, that only a few of us share. Thinking of the MPE myself, and have read your posts with great interest. I think its obvious you feel this is the right exhaust for the car, not too loud to affect cruising, but loud enough to be fun, with crackles and pops when needed ?. The alternative for me would be the BCS exhaust we have over here, which is a full system, if we so wish, with sports cat, but im not sure if its needed after your reports ?, regards, SIMON.
LOL! Man you sure put your finger on it! Some of my friends look with raised eyebrows that I have moved from Porsches, M3s, Alpinas and so on to a "lowly" 1-series, but oh how little they know! It is fast as lightning, a giant slayer, makes one of the best sounds out of Munich in at least 20 years, has an AT that is better than some of the best dual-clutch units out there, yet cossets us in luxury and advanced electronics, all while turning out gas mileage that would make all but diesel owners jealous!

As for getting a full cat-back system, I have done this several times in the past with previous BMWs and depending on your priorities and price point, would definitely consider this route as well. But if you are less concerned with boosting performance (the M135 is already astonishingly fast) and just want just a tastefully done increase in snarl with a wonderful OEM fit and look, the MPE is truly a great and reasonably priced choice (its a little too quiet for my taste below 4500rpm, but sounds great on startup and... holy cow but does this thing make a glorious scream when you are going all out!).

That said, if you want something that will give you a boost in hp and torque with a bit more bark at peak rpm then a BCS or other full cat-back system would definitely be a better choice. Of all the aftermarket mufflers I've fitted to my BMWs over the years (this is my 7th BMW) I would say I was most please with the sound and performance of the Supersprint systems. Though expensive, I have never heard a muffler than pulled out the fantastically unique characteristics of BMs straight 6s like this. Subdued yet sporty at idle, there is nothing like the growing wail of a Supersprint on an M3 as you really nail it - goose bumps every time!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Thanks for the reply MTG,
Totally agree again with you regarding the Auto transmission, and feel it deserves special mention. I was stunned the first time i drove a demo car in anger, and had to question the salesman, asking him on a couple of occasions, that it was indeed an auto, and not a DCT, as i thought the changes felt even quicker and smoother than the dual clutch. Not really too bothered about increase in power from the exhaust, just want to get the sound just right, and not too OTT. I definitely dont want to lose the silky, creamy cruising ability this car posseses, and spoil it with something too offensive. Had a couple of raised eyebrows myself, from friends, who see me now riding round in, "JUST A 1 SERIES", but im just not bothered, as im smitten with the car, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Thanks for the reply MTG,
Totally agree again with you regarding the Auto transmission, and feel it deserves special mention. I was stunned the first time i drove a demo car in anger, and had to question the salesman, asking him on a couple of occasions, that it was indeed an auto, and not a DCT, as i thought the changes felt even quicker and smoother than the dual clutch. Not really too bothered about increase in power from the exhaust, just want to get the sound just right, and not too OTT. I definitely dont want to lose the silky, creamy cruising ability this car posseses, and spoil it with something too offensive. Had a couple of raised eyebrows myself, from friends, who see me now riding round in, "JUST A 1 SERIES", but im just not bothered, as im smitten with the car, regards, SIMON.
From what you describe, I really think you will be happy with the MPE. It reminds me very much of the Porsche Sports Exhaust system for the 911/Boxster and Cayman - no claimed improvement in hp or torque but just a very carefully developed catback system with the entire focus being on enhancing the sporty sound of the engine without adding any drone or being too OTT (all with an OEM fit, look and warranty). In this regard the MPE is just stellar.

The past 2 days I had been driving mostly in Eco mode just to see what kind of mileage I could get (very nice 8.5 km/l average in mostly stop and go street traffic with no highway cruising), but decided to let her rip a bit this morning in Sport mode - had 4-5 stretches where I could really push the car and every time I revved above 4000rpm the engine almost SINGS it sounds so good - I would say the MPE is only about 10-15% louder than stock (with most of that being heard when pushing it) but oh is that 10-15% well judged! The the sound comes in all the right places, a subdued snarl that is just glorious, far better than my old E36 M3 with Supersprint, my fully stock E46 Alpina B3S or the E92 B3 with Akropovic I drove yesterday.

Get the MPE mate - you will not be disappointed!

Last edited by MeganeTrophyGuy; 04-10-2014 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
MeganeTrophyGuy
Private
Rep

Some pictures of the car and MPE - love the M logo on the top!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0