BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2024 Corvette E-Ray...

01-17-2023, 08:51 PM   #45
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
It's smart to be on both lists.

It's hard to argue what an ERAY will bring to the table. People complained about the stingray's lack of punch up top. That is solved with 160hp more. It's going to be a beast of a driver. No it won't set lap records or sound as good as the LT6 (then again not many people care about that sound) but for what average buyers will use this car for, it will absolutely put a smile on anyone's face.

I really wanted to have 2 corvettes, my C7Z and my C8Z in the long run. The stingray was going to be temporary until the C8Z arrived or maybe 1-2 years then sell.

But with this ERAY, the stingray is far less appealing now. I rather just have an ERAY and a C8Z. Daily the ERAY, weekend duties for the C8Z.

But i know me. I'll always find another daily. Because sometimes you need a daily, for your daily, for your other other daily
That’s a good point. If I could swing it, I’d keep my 718 GTS and have the ERay for the longer drives.
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
      01-17-2023, 09:12 PM   #46
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
lol they just did ...it's called the E-Ray.
No they added a battery pack and motors. Take that out and you have a Grand Sport.

I honestly was expecting more from the Eray, an actual plug-in hybrid with a larger pack and more EV range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I think it’s a great GS alternative. However, you’re getting a lot more than just a Z06 body, tires and brakes. You’re also getting more power, additional power plant, AWD, plus CCBs included which are $8500 on their own. I mean a base C8 is now $65k. Adding $8500 for the brakes makes it $74k…..another $10-15k for the Z06 body. Now you’re at $85-95k. Another $10k gets you a hybrid platform and other goodies like HUD and mag ride. Sounds exactly correctly priced.
C7 GS was around 17% up charge on base C7. Something like that for C8 would fill a nice gap. Mid $70k range msrp, widebody, Z06 steel brakes, Z06 wheels/tires, MRC, NPP exhaust, etc. Porsche doesn't have any problems filling the smallest holes in 911 range with multiple trim levels.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-17-2023 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 09:14 PM   #47
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
People forget the grand sport of the past was literally a widebody base model, with bigger brakes and tires.
No one forgot that. That is exactly the C8 model I would want. Grand Sport was the best bang for the buck C7. It was quite a popular trim level.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-17-2023 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 04:30 AM   #48
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
No one forgot that. That is exactly the C8 model I would want. Grand Sport was the best bang for the buck C7. It was quite a popular trim level.
It would be a useless variant this time around. Who would it really cater to?

It would be equivalent to having a G8X RWD comp and G8X x-drive comp. Yes both co-exist but really what is the point at all?

People would pay a bigger premium over the stingray but less than an ERAY for the same power, but have the widebody, bigger brakes and bigger tires, thus it being slightly heavier than the stingray? The stingray is already heavy. It doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view.

Plus with the movement towards hybridization and full electric, this was their time to showcase what they can do with a hybrid corvette. Wasting a variant of doing the same thing they did with the C6 and C7 by having a grand sport will do nothing this time around.

You either get the bare bones stingray. Or spend more and get your potent street car. Or spend the same money, but probably wait twice as long, and get your american ferrari track car.
      01-18-2023, 05:39 AM   #49
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032636.50
      01-18-2023, 06:33 AM   #50
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
I hate the direction Corvette is going. I'm old school and always loved them but I feel like the core base is being left behind or just ignored. It used to be a raw performance car that was attainable to most. Now, its become a heavy, plush, expensive car that the tech nerds/social media "influencers"(lol) buy. I understand the need to appeal to a younger demographic to help it live on, but its gone a bit too far too fast. I can no longer walk into my dealership and order any corvette and expect to pick it up in a couple of months.
Bingo.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 10:08 AM   #51
Mr Fix It
Rep
Drives: Audi

Part of "special" car ownership IMHO is the ability to work on it yourself. The E Ray and for many the C8 made that fairy unrealistic. Don't get me wrong....they are fantastic cars. But, they are no longer grassroots cars. I guess it is possible that there are more people out there than I realize that love to buy throw a way cars. I guess I just think that there are ways to go faster than what most manufactors do now a days. LOL I don't have to buy one so I guess
everything is ok. They can do whatever they want. It will either succeed or it won't.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1074.00
      01-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #52
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

It is expensive. but the corvette buyer is different compared to previous models. The 'working mans' sports car is now the camaro.

I'm a fan of the e-ray. Its basically like a cheaper 918 spyder. NA v8, awd, dct, and hybrid assist. you can use it all year. its definitely better than the NSX imo.

i think they will find buyers. especially those who like the z06 looks, but don't want all the racecar stuff (nvh, stiff ride, cup2r tires). the widebody vettes definitely made the base c8 body look sad.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 3
BGM-M3COMP2328.00
Red Bread4463.00
chassis6490.00
      01-18-2023, 01:01 PM   #53
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
It is expensive. but the corvette buyer is different compared to previous models. The 'working mans' sports car is now the camaro.

I'm a fan of the e-ray. Its basically like a cheaper 918 spyder. NA v8, awd, dct, and hybrid assist. you can use it all year. its definitely better than the NSX imo.

i think they will find buyers. especially those who like the z06 looks, but don't want all the racecar stuff (nvh, stiff ride, cup2r tires). the widebody vettes definitely made the base c8 body look sad.
Camaro is not a sports car.

The buyer is different because GM just priced their core buyers out of it, not because all those people suddenly stopped buying...
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      01-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #54
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Camaro is not a sports car.

The buyer is different because GM just priced their core buyers out of it, not because all those people suddenly stopped buying...
I'd say that's debatable. The ZL1 1LE is a serious weapon. That being said, your second statement is correct. Enthusiast cars in general are falling out of favor with companies because they don't make money on them. If they're going to offer them, they have to be more profitable, hence the corvette moving more upmarket.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 03:53 PM   #55
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
I'd say that's debatable. The ZL1 1LE is a serious weapon. That being said, your second statement is correct. Enthusiast cars in general are falling out of favor with companies because they don't make money on them. If they're going to offer them, they have to be more profitable, hence the corvette moving more upmarket.
But the Corvette was never the main money maker. It has always been all the boring SUVs etc.

Just like the V8 Mustang or V8 Camaro were never the money maker, it was their V6 & 4 banger versions that sold a lot and kept things afloat.

This is not new. It's a new EXCUSE, though
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      01-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #56
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
And people made fun of GM lol. Everyone downsizing engines, dodge doing an EV challenger with a fake fucking exhaust sound.

Meanwhile GM gave us an american ferrari and an american, but better, and cheaper, and faster, version of the NSX.

I fucking love GM right now!
Yawn
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:46 PM   #57
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post

I think the Corvette was always the “I did okay” sports car after you had a Camaro/Mustang. That’s why most owners, me included, have traditionally been in their 50s or older. For reference, average age of a first time 911 owner is 54. Most people younger than that just haven’t amassed enough cash unless it was given to them or they were able to run their own business etc. 80% in the US make less than $75-80k so can’t get a new base C8 let alone a Z06. So the few of us in here complaining should feel very fortunate with whatever these guys conjure up.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
Donatello.1074.00
      01-18-2023, 06:16 PM   #58
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
I am staying on both lists. I was told I’ll get the ERay before I’d get the Z06. So I figure, get it, if I don’t like it, I still have the Z06 coming, but I think the ERay has a lot of what I’m looking for on a higher end car. The power, AWD, comfort features and toys, as well as being capable. While I love the purity of my 718 GTS, at some point, you realize having any more power is almost useless without all four wheels working. Which is why my Targa 4S is a great GT in that regard. The targa cost $167k and I was able to get it as msrp. Getting either a Z06 or ERay around $135k nicely optioned is a coup.
So no more plaid for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 06:29 PM   #59
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Corvette has never been a world class sports car. The C8 is the closest GM has ever come to this. However, competition continues move onward and upward. 911, AMG GT, Lambo and Ferrari will always be notches above Corvette. Each car has a niche and a buyers' pool, nothing new here. Corvette is a Camaro+ or Camaro++.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      01-18-2023, 06:34 PM   #60
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I see no issues at all with the price point, or with Chevrolet's MSRP pricing of their Corvettes. Is it price a deviation higher than what the Corvette always has been? Yes. But they couldn't just keep building new versions of the same old car... they had to change up the marketing strategy to bring in new buyers, and it is apparently working. Some of the longtime die hard Corvette fans are upset, but some aren't. Meanwhile, they are making Corvettes more popular among a younger demographic than before, which is necessary for brand vitality. And all of this is coming from a former C7 owner that doesn't even like the way the C8s look and hates the lack of a manual transmission. I applaud GM for their latest developments with the Corvette.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      01-18-2023, 06:59 PM   #61
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
So no more plaid for you?
I never was ordering a Plaid.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:10 PM   #62
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
I never was ordering a Plaid.
Apologies, I was on mobile and thought I was replying to a different member that has plans to get a plaid and a Stingray. Now that I'm on a desktop version of the site, I see my error.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      01-19-2023, 01:32 AM   #63
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am staying on both lists. I was told I’ll get the ERay before I’d get the Z06. So I figure, get it, if I don’t like it, I still have the Z06 coming, but I think the ERay has a lot of what I’m looking for on a higher end car.
I see a lot of people on the Vette forums saying this. They are so far down the Z06 list and production is so slow...they will just get an Eray. Eray is basically the backup b*tch to the Z06(model everyone really wants).
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      01-19-2023, 04:28 AM   #64
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I see a lot of people on the Vette forums saying this. They are so far down the Z06 list and production is so slow...they will just get an Eray. Eray is basically the backup b*tch to the Z06(model everyone really wants).
I wasn’t saying that for my benefit, that’s what the dealer told me. I would probably get the Eray in about 2 years and the Z06 within 4. I can order the Eray when it’s my turn, own it long enough past the 12 month resale restriction and then turn it back in when the Z06 shows up.

Like I said earlier, I am on both lists. Why not drive the Eray, see how I like it especially since I can’t have the Z06 at that point? Now if I’d pop at the top of the list at the same time, I’d probably just get the Z06. But I can also see the use case for the Eray, all weather, awd, better fuel economy, more compliant ride.

There’s a reason why the GT3 Touring exists and it’s not simply to get rid of the rear wing. The suspension is slightly better tuned for roads vs track. Obviously, it’s not as divergent as the Eray is to the Z06, but I can see why Eray might be a popular choice. Chevrolet is taking a huge risk that it will be successful.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 06:23 AM   #65
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
I wasn’t saying that for my benefit, that’s what the dealer told me. I would probably get the Eray in about 2 years and the Z06 within 4. I can order the Eray when it’s my turn, own it long enough past the 12 month resale restriction and then turn it back in when the Z06 shows up.

Like I said earlier, I am on both lists. Why not drive the Eray, see how I like it especially since I can’t have the Z06 at that point? Now if I’d pop at the top of the list at the same time, I’d probably just get the Z06. But I can also see the use case for the Eray, all weather, awd, better fuel economy, more compliant ride.

There’s a reason why the GT3 Touring exists and it’s not simply to get rid of the rear wing. The suspension is slightly better tuned for roads vs track. Obviously, it’s not as divergent as the Eray is to the Z06, but I can see why Eray might be a popular choice. Chevrolet is taking a huge risk that it will be successful.

It’s really not a risk. They had 3-4 years of feedback of how much stingrays were fetching for. When they showcased the z06 at 106k starting, it’s essentially sold out for the entire life of its possible production run.

The ERAY will fill the void for those who can’t or don’t want a z06 but don’t want a basic stingray. I’m making the same move. I cancelled my stingray. Got on the eray list and I’m still getting a z06.

Best of both worlds. GM is killing the comp during these last few years of peak ice before we move into ev.
      01-19-2023, 08:12 AM   #66
Mr Fix It
Rep
Drives: Audi

I am sure out of touch. I just don't know that many people that are making $300,000 a year and are interested in this type of car. They seem to be out there though. Are people paying cash? I must no longer be in the "middle class" lol. Glad for them and rock on.
Oh, to respond to the question that I am on BMW forum and talking about not being able to work on the corvette? Maybe they know something I don't....I have worked on many a BMW. There is no problem with them.....it is just work. Porsche is different. Can't get parts and closely guarded software makes working on them VERY hard.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1074.00