BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Adrian van Hooydonk - kidney grill is here to stay

02-21-2021, 03:06 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Adrian van Hooydonk - kidney grill is here to stay

A great interview with Adrian van Hooydonk. To summarise, the huge kidney grill is here to stay and as usual Adrian van Hooydonk and Domagoj Dukec are not wanting to listen to fans and enthusiasts.

"You have to stand out. It’s not our goal to please everyone in the world".

Why BMW design will stay polarising on purpose:

Quote:
If you’ve been anywhere near social media in the past year, you’ll know that BMW’s design has weathered a fair old storm. In the words of Adrian van Hooydonk, senior vice-president of group design at the Bavarian firm, “it can be brutal”.

But if you think that’s a hint that van Hooydonk and head of BMW design Domagoj Dukec are about to change their ways, think again. The kidney grille is here to stay.

The reasoning is simple: van Hooydonk and Dukec want BMW to stand out, so they’re happy to make it the distinguishing feature. They rationalise it by pointing out that it’s part of BMW’s past, so it will remain part of the future.

Listening to both men talk about all aspects of BMW’s design, it’s clear that the ‘separator’ reasoning is the philosophy behind what they’re doing. Dukec justifies it with the amount of noise they’ve created: “If you want to create something that stands out, it must be distinguished and it has to be different. If you want to reach some customers, you have to stand out. It’s not our goal to please everyone in the world, but you have to please your customers.”

This, then, is at the heart of what van Hooydonk and Dukec are trying to do – sell cars. “It all comes back to the customer,” is how Dukec puts it. It’s difficult to argue with the numbers as, Covid-aside, 2020 was a good year for BMW. The group’s sales recovered later in the year, with the 686,069 vehicles sold in the final quarter marking a 3.2% increase on the same period in 2019.

Not that it’s been easy or without risk. It’s the age-old compromise of acknowledging the past but also moving a company forward, a job that’s not easy with a back catalogue as long as BMW’s. As van Hooydonk is all too aware of. “There is some friction when your old product is so successful, and that’s what we’re seeing,” he says. “If your market success isn’t there, then you have to change. That’s a very stressful situation as a company. It’s better to have this kind of stress [the controversy], even though it would be even better to have market success and universal praise for the changes. But somehow that’s rarely the case.”

What’s clear is that both men feel a huge amount of responsibility towards BMW. Both are well aware of the history of the brand – indeed, they’ve justified their current strategy by looking back to the 1960s, when BMW pioneered a sports car that came with a healthy dose of limousine. Cars like the 1500, which set the standard for the company for years to come, right up to today.

These days, the fragmentation of what customers want (and Dukec is clear on this: he’s aiming for customers to want his cars, not need them) means that van Hooydonk and Dukec have identified two groups they want to appeal to. They’ve called them the elegant creators and the expressive performers. While it’s tempting to dismiss this as marketing hyperbole, it does make sense when you view it in terms of the product. The creators tend to sit in the odd-numbered cars – the traditional 3, 5 and 7 Series – while the performers are the even-numbered buyers, with cars like the M4 or X6.

It boils down to how people will use their cars. As Dukec has it, the creators want a car “more focused on the cabin, but it still has to have a fluid silhouette and nice proportions”, while the performers don’t want such a practical car. The cabin will be smaller, like a suit that’s “not the most comfortable one, but it’s the one in which you look the best. They want a car that’s almost irrational.”

What does all this mean for the cars you’ll see in the street? Traditional BMW styling cues, like the kidney grille, quad headlights and Hofmeister kink will remain, but you’ll see increasing fragmentation across the range. The sportier models will get vertical grilles and fuller bodies with sculpted surfacing, while electric cars will have a similar treatment to the recently revealed iX.

The grille on that car remains vertical because of all the high-tech equipment, such as autonomous driving sensors, that needs to be positioned in the centre. The saloons, meanwhile, probably won’t get a vertical grille or even a big one: Dukec actually used the word “narrow” to describe it. It will depend on the customer and the car’s character.

This separation is an entirely deliberate ploy. As van Hooydonk says: “We are expanding the vocabulary of the BMW brand with each new model and we’re pulling them further apart. And that’s deliberate. We are making them stronger in character without taking the brand apart.”

It’s interesting what this means for niches, in that they’re here to stay. Van Hooydonk adds: “We’re broadening the choice we offer our customer. That’s the secret of selling more cars. You can’t sell more of the same.”

Each pillar of BMW has a part to play in this, as van Hooydonk explains: “We’ve used BMW i to experiment and move the brand forward, and with M we can also do some very pointy cars that are of course geared around performance. For the mother brand, we can take from each of these two sub-brands whatever we feel works.”

Van Hooydonk acknowledges that none of this has been easy for the aficionados. “If you have fans, it’s fantastic. You have people who don’t just buy your products, they love what you do. For them, it’s an emotional thing. Of course, if they love what you do, the minute you’re going to change it, they might have an issue with that. It comes with the territory,” he says. “Our job isn’t so easy. We have to debate how much change would be enough because we’re living in a world where there are constant new players coming in. If we don’t move, we become a sitting duck for all our competitors. [The balance is] to move enough so that the company thrives but not move so much that you lose contact with your fan base altogether.”

To keep moving and to keep looking forward is key for van Hooydonk, especially given the competition from start-ups. This means that any BMW worshipper who wants a return to the past is going to be disappointed. Retro is interesting for van Hooydonk, but it’s not what he wants. A homage is okay and going down a retro route is fine when you want to relaunch a company (like Renault has done with the electric 5), but “it’s not necessary for BMW”. In a lovely expression, he says “we will continue the fire but not worship the ashes”.

Of course, BMW is no stranger to design controversy. We’ve been here before with Chris Bangle, and most of the cars he created are now talked about in revered terms – a point highlighted by Dukec. But this time, it somehow feels different. Maybe it’s social media and the increasingly entrenched views of the world. Either way, neither Dukec nor van Hooydonk will change the path they’re on. It feels like both will be justifying BMW’s design direction for a while yet.

Van Hooydonk on...

Social media criticism

“We deal with it in the same way we do with customer clinics. I never go to those clinics, because the individual comments can be quite brutal. It’s not always enjoyable. I wait until the final quantitative evaluation, the global résumé. We look and analyse for trends; I don’t look at it [social media] on an hourly basis.”

Retro cars

“We have always looked at our heritage and debated about what we could do without ever really going retro. We’ve done homage cars, like at Villa d’Este, where we’ve got positive reactions, but it was never a retro design. It was a reimagination of a classic. We take ideas from it, but we never went full bore along that path.”

Why Mini is successful

“There’s no brand that is so universally loved or understood. In traffic, you can get away with anything when you drive a Mini. Why? Three reasons: it’s about an underdog sympathy; there’s also something humanesque in the car; and it’s a feeling that this isn’t a car that controls me. It will make my life more enjoyable.”
Source: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/f...rising-purpose

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 04:39 AM   #2
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

"Here to stay".....what does that mean? Until someone decides it's not.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I'll give him credit that he has a coherent vision and is able to clearly articulate it.

It's the comments about how he deals with feedback that concern me. We don't want to please the world, only our customers? Fair enough, but are your customers happy with the direction so far? What feedback channels do you choose to listen to? For example, bpost has your most loyal and passionate customers and I think at least half (being charitable, I know it's more) are very angry about the design direction. And then the thing about not attending focus groups - so why even have them, then? The summary reports are not fully effective at capturing the degree and the context behind the stuff that makes their way to summary reports - imho as a marketer.

It just smacks of selective hearing to me.

And then a question that I'd be interested in seeing him explain - what's the marketing brief on the "elegant creator" and "expressive performer"? How does he define those segments?
Appreciate 9
Murf99314114.00
VisualEcho6625.50
stein_325i25051.00
supra932474.00
jmack548.50
JTO245246.50
Vivek.1363.50
      02-21-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
As eloquent as his words can be, they don't impress me. They're like those couples on facebook that are always professing their love for each other publicly, then you see them broken up after a year.

Money dictates everything, and they'll follow the numbers.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 02-22-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
supra932474.00
Vivek.1363.50
jmg18493.00
      02-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
There’s no brand that is so universally loved or understood. In traffic, you can get away with anything when you drive a Mini. Why? Three reasons: it’s about an underdog sympathy; there’s also something humanesque in the car; and it’s a feeling that this isn’t a car that controls me. It will make my life more enjoyable.

To quote BMW in reaction to Van Hooydonk...
NickyC17338.50
Sassicaia4452.00
am3r1ka1413.00
supra932474.00
zamboni1124.50
Doctor///M1782.00
Altra265.50
Germanauto9665.50
      02-21-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Eloquent language that eloquently shows that they live in an echo chamber there in Munich. I don’t know about the others here, but I’m keeping my money far away from the G8x platform, iX etc. in their current form.

The blinders they have on are pretty thick. Business is war, and intelligence from the ground should always factor into strategy before you attack. I hope I’m wrong, but this will be a painful lesson. Remember the past saying: Past performance is not an indicator of future success.
Appreciate 8
Murf99314114.00
stein_325i25051.00
Mavus2014.50
am3r1ka1413.00
supra932474.00
jmack548.50
Altra265.50
Germanauto9665.50
      02-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
And people still call the E82 1-series "ugly"!

Appreciate 7
stein_325i25051.00
Murf99314114.00
m3fuz199.00
irunalot1515.50
Germanauto9665.50
supra932474.00
pz6193274.00
      02-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

This is a fluff piece with no tough question asked and just making the same justifications, same excuses.

Like they want "want BMW to stand out." So, instead of standing out by being the best driver oriented performance car on the planet, they want to stand out by make the car ugly. Both the F9x M8 and the G8x M3/4 stands out - the former being a beautifully crafted aggressive looking car, and the latter a beaver face.

Like "The grille on that car remains vertical because of all the high-tech equipment, such as autonomous driving sensors, that needs to be positioned in the centre." That's BS and just lazy design IMO. All the sensors can be hiddened or camouflaged, it doesn't take much design ingenuity to do that. Porsche 911 and Taycan are two of the world's most technologically advanced cars but they don't need a gigantic grille to hide behind the technology.

Like "If we don’t move, we become a sitting duck for all our competitors." This is a classic straw man because there's literally no one that's telling them not to change. How about changing instead to make BMW drive more like Porsche rather than more like Toyota?

And then there's this BS line: "the heart of what van Hooydonk and Dukec are trying to do – sell cars. “It all comes back to the customer."" Reeally!?? Like coming back to how they're thumbing their nose at their core customers in favor of "new" anonymous customers that supposedly love large grilles and soft riding cars that isolate you from the road that look like beavers? If that's the way they treat old customers that help build the brand, how long before they turn their backs on these new customers?

IMO, the real reason why they won't change from their current direction is because that'll be admitting they were wrong. And if they do that they'll soon be pushed out like Chris Bangle was. It's about self preservation.
Appreciate 10
stein_325i25051.00
Murf99314114.00
supra932474.00
Vivek.1363.50
Altra265.50
Germanauto9665.50
      02-21-2021, 01:00 PM   #9
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Beautiful things stand out. Ugly things stand out. Doesn't mean they are both desirable.
Appreciate 6
      02-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #10
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Well, at least he's firm on his decisions.
That is something I respect. I don't agree with the bigger grill, but he stands by his decisions.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #11
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

I could be wrong, but I don't think this big upright grill is all that original and if I recall it wasn't too popular the first time around.
Attached Images

Last edited by Murf993; 02-21-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
irunalot1515.50
bmw1racer998.00
      02-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

the classic mistake of confusing action for progress
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Give it another 10yrs when they're able to look back and finally off the books...."It was a mistake of epic proportions"

Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      02-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #14
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
A great interview with Adrian van Hooydonk. To summarise, the huge kidney grill is here to stay

K.

But we won't.

See ya.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
XMetal1096.50
Altra265.50
      02-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #15
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

"You have to stand out. It's not our goal to please everyone in the world".

Certainly done a great job not pleasing people!!

Just a thought. Had they considered that being ugly isn't the only way to stand out? If everyone was praising their design would they consider that a failure?
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      02-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Quote:
If you’ve been anywhere near social media in the past year, you’ll know that BMW’s design has weathered a fair old storm. In the words of Adrian van Hooydonk, senior vice-president of group design at the Bavarian firm, “it can be brutal”.
But if you think that’s a hint that van Hooydonk and head of BMW design Domagoj Dukec are about to change their ways, think again. The kidney grille is here to stay.
The reasoning is simple: van Hooydonk and Dukec want BMW to stand out, so they’re happy to make it the distinguishing feature. They rationalise it by pointing out that it’s part of BMW’s past, so it will remain part of the future.
[...]
Van Hooydonk acknowledges that none of this has been easy for the aficionados. “If you have fans, it’s fantastic. You have people who don’t just buy your products, they love what you do. For them, it’s an emotional thing. Of course, if they love what you do, the minute you’re going to change it, they might have an issue with that. It comes with the territory,” he says. “Our job isn’t so easy. We have to debate how much change would be enough because we’re living in a world where there are constant new players coming in. If we don’t move, we become a sitting duck for all our competitors. [The balance is] to move enough so that the company thrives but not move so much that you lose contact with your fan base altogether."
Suggestion: let them give Porsche a ring to ask why the 996 headlights design (aka 'fried egg' design) was not used again on subsequent 911 iterations (997, 991 and 992).

Name:  P996_headlight.jpg
Views: 2961
Size:  1.11 MB
Murf99314114.00
supra932474.00
GuidoK10473.00
      02-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #17
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I will vote with my wallet!

Went from a 2015 F82 to a 2019 F82 when I saw this new “Style.”
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
supra932474.00
NickyC17338.50
zamboni1124.50
XMetal1096.50
      02-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #18
am3r1ka
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Sad to witness them being apart of their own demise. Badge aside, a bad design is a bad design. It's very telling how often we're see these articles, ad campaigns, new M3/M4 top post everyday trying to redeem themselves. Doubt that'll cut it but guess time & sales will tell.

Granted there's leverage given that Merc is dropping the V8 but I'll take that 4potter rattles and all.
      02-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #19
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

This reminds me of when Acura had their ugly bird beak period. However, at least their designers finally admitted they went over board and reverse course.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
jwolf58.50
      02-21-2021, 08:25 PM   #20
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think this big upright grill is all that original and if I recall it wasn't too popular the first time around.
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
Suds1595.50
six75LT916.50
Murf99314114.00
Doctor///M1782.00
      02-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #21
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

"Moar must be better!"