BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW Proffesional Radio

07-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
henry1982
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-series (F20)120d M-sport

I am a little confused regarding the features of the standard BMW professional radio. I have my 120d M Sport arriving in Sept.

Will I be able to use B/tooth on iphone 4 to make and answer calls?
Will the contacts come up on the display?

for music:

Will I be able to connect the iphone to stream music to the car?
or
Will i need the crappy Y cable?

What will I be able to see on the display when connect with the Y cable .i.e art work, contacts .....

On my old 1series i had voice dialing and voice recognition? I am guessing this it an extra option?

Any Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
croosen
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 116i Sport

Hi Henry

You will need the crappy y-cable to play music, with the standard Apple cable you'll only be able to charge it...
Album art is a no go with professional and standard BT.
About Bluetooth: works well!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Does default BT come as a standard (or with radio pro) in the UK? If not its an option you had to order (separately or in drive comfort package), if you wanna use it.

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
henry1982
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas
Does default BT come as a standard (or with radio pro) in the UK? If not its an option you had to order (separately or in drive comfort package), if you wanna use it.
Yes the bt is standard on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Well then you'll get the basic BT which allows you to make calls out of your adressbook and your recent calls list, and of course accept incoming calls. It'll autosilence radio or any other audio running (usb-drive f.e.). Not sure how it handles streamed iCrap music, don't have, can't test . The names are listed on the idrive screen as well as on the speedo-screen, and call-information (caller id, number, duration) are displayed on idrive during call.

No clue about the iphone-part.

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
henry1982
Enlisted Member
Rep

are the names listed on the speedo with out the balck panel display? or just with cars with black panel display option?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Can't tell you that. I know that the small display lists the radiostations as does the blackpanel, so I'd assume it can do names/numbers just fine too. But I can't say for sure, never had and don't have now a chance of testing.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
ronald89
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d

My dealer told me that the biggest benefit of the black panel display is the possibility to show your contacts, navi directions, etc.

So I suppose you need to have the black panel display for showing the contacts
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #9
Seb033
Rep
Drives: 116i

Strange, I'm able to play music with the standard Apple USB cable. If I've known, I would not have bought the crappy y-cable! Lol

I can't link up my iPhone via bluetooth though. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #10
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald89 View Post
My dealer told me that the biggest benefit of the black panel display is the possibility to show your contacts, navi directions, etc.

So I suppose you need to have the black panel display for showing the contacts
He was BSing you, you can scroll through contacts (the same as scrolling through radio stations) without black panel.

I have the Radio Professional setup without black panel, and when I use the multifunction controls on the steering wheel to scroll after pressing the phone button, it flips through my contacts in the instrumentation screen. If I use the iDrive controller, it flips through them in a list on the iDrive screen, so both options are available.

Bluetooth calling with an iPhone works brilliantly with Radio Professional - syncs quickly, pairs quickly, shows contact names on the iDrive screen as their calls come in - all in all a pleasure to use!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta

In that Case what is the Enhanced Bluetooth (6NH) option for? Music over bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Bogus
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 120d F20 M Sport

Hope this helps,

6NH Hands-free facility with USB interface
wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones (see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth)
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Enables convenient connection of an MP3
player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the vehicle. Playback of the audio files via the
vehicle's audio system, operation by equipment-dependent controls (radio controls,
multifunction for steering wheel) of the vehicle. Including 12 V power socket in storage
compartment of armrest front

6NK Connectivity, Bluetooth and USB devices
wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones (see http://www.bmw.com/bluetooth)
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Expansion by separate snap-in adapter
(available through BMW Parts and Accessories) for charging function and connection to
external aerial possible (not in combination with option code 807 'Japanese version').
Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the
vehicle. Operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive controller, favourites buttons,
multifunction for steering wheel or voice control) of the vehicle. Utilisation of the voice
control system possible only in combination with option code 249 'Multifunction for steering
wheel'. Including a 12 V socket in storage compartment of armrest front.
Extended functionality depending on the features of the Bluetooth/USB device:
- View organiser data from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display by selecting
'Office' from the menu.
- View contact photos from the address book of the customer's mobile phone on the Control
Display.
- Bluetooth audio streaming.
- At any given time, 2 mobile phone and one audio player can be paired via Bluetooth.
View album covers.
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB interface.

6NL Connectivity, Bluetooth and USB devices including BMW Assist
with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. Expansion by separate snap-in adapter
(available through BMW Parts and Accessories) for charging function and connection to
external aerial possible. Enables convenient connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or
USB memory stick in the vehicle. Operation by equipment-dependent controls (iDrive
controller, favourites buttons, multifunction for steering wheel or voice control) of the vehicle.
Utilisation of the voice control system possible only in combination with option code 249
'Multifunction for steering wheel'. Separate SIM card for BMW telematics and BMW online
services integrated into the vehicle. Including emergency call button and a 12 V socket in
storage compartment of armrest front.
Extended functionality depending on the features of the Bluetooth/USB device:
- View organiser data from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display by selecting
'Office' from the menu.
- View contact photos from the address book of the customer's mobile phone on the Control
Display.
- Bluetooth audio streaming.
- At any given time, 2 mobile phone and one audio player can be paired via Bluetooth.
- View album covers.
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB interface
      07-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

I've got Professional Radio, Harmon Kardon and 6NH in my build. Cause I was under the impression that 6NH would allow me to stream music from my phone via bluetooth.

Have I wasted money by getting this (6NH) together with Professional Radio ot Does it do other things that Pro Radio doesn't do?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamot View Post
I've got Professional Radio, Harmon Kardon and 6NH in my build. Cause I was under the impression that 6NH would allow me to stream music from my phone via bluetooth.

Have I wasted money by getting this (6NH) together with Professional Radio ot Does it do other things that Pro Radio doesn't do?
Professional Radio itself does not give you bluetooth, as far as I know. All it gives you in addition to Business Radio is the iDrive screen, controller, owner's handbook and all the cool vehicle settings associated with iDrive.

6NH added on top of Professional Radio (what I have as a setup) gives you bluetooth for calling (via either the iDrive screen or the multifunction steering wheel), plus a USB slot underneath the centre armrest, from which you can search and play music (again, via the iDrive screen or the multifunction controls on the steering wheel).

I initially thought that 6NH would enable A2DP (Bluetooth audio streaming), but my iPhone 4S does not detect the car as an audio device. If you look at the descriptions posted, audio streaming is part of 6NK, so I guess that's how it's supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Nintendofan
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

A question about speaker count: the spec sheet says there are 6 speakers for the Professional Radio, but I can only find four. Where are the other two?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendofan View Post
A question about speaker count: the spec sheet says there are 6 speakers for the Professional Radio, but I can only find four. Where are the other two?
Have a look underneath the seats
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
jamot
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Thanks Martin.
Appreciate 0