BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Foggy Headlights every day in a F20 125I

06-04-2021, 01:50 AM   #1
Sonny Bimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 125i F20

Exclamation Foggy Headlights every day in a F20 125I

Hello bimmers, I bought a F20 125I Msport this year and the car was low mileage and very new, the car is perfect but I'm having foggy headlights, moisture/condensation in booth headlights, it doesn't matter the day or time, it is always there when I drive the car for a bit, it doesn't matter if it is a hot or cold day, even raining or not... (There is nothing to do with WATER, dry days it happens, photos above were after some rain but it happens in sunny dry day)

My F20 125I is the Msport package with N20 BMW engine.

Check the images attached:

Please, I need to know if it can damage my headlights, or If I can fix it in a simple way. I'm seeing a lot of BMW owners with this problem in brand new BMW's. I'm sorry if there is already a post talking about that, link it here please!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sonny Bimmer; 06-04-2021 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Additional detail
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 02:19 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

The handbook, page 256, says: "When driving with the light switched on, the condensation disappears after a short time. ... If the headlights do not defrost, even when driving with the lights switched on and increasing moisture builds up, for example water droplets in the lights, have these checked by the service centre.".
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
Sonny Bimmer
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
The handbook, page 256, says: "When driving with the light switched on, the condensation disappears after a short time. ... If the headlights do not defrost, even when driving with the lights switched on and increasing moisture builds up, for example water droplets in the lights, have these checked by the service centre.".
The car is out of warranty, is there a way that I can fix it?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
Sonny Bimmer
Registered
Rep

also there is not water droplets inside
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

So there is a thread on this here already: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933330.

It looks like the best you can do is to follow the manual: as your case is not severe either use the headlights or just worry not. If otherwise you want to keep yourself busy play the sealing/ventilation game: check the lids, explore the "ventilation grommet" subject.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #6
dorgo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Had the same problem (on the driver side) on my f20 (n13 2013) - on my case, it appeared that the bulb cap was not fully closed.

As we are talking about LED, there is no bulb but a sort of two "blast"s (I dont know how to name it) connected at the back of each headlight unit - I suggest you to check the car service history if the previous owner asked to check/fix an issue with the headlights and try (gently!) to check/tighten those "blast"s bolts - making sure there is no "space" there.

Regarding to your question, generally water can cause damage, especially when it comes to electronics. You need to have it checked either way.

** Im not a mechanic, the best solution is to have it checked by your local dealer **
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorgo View Post
Had the same problem (on the driver side) on my f20 (n13 2013) - on my case, it appeared that the bulb cap was not fully closed.

As we are talking about LED, there is no bulb
There is (pre-LCI xenon headlights are pictured). It's quite a technology assortment: a bulb (turn signal), a xenon (low/high beam) and a LED (daytime/side lights). I never had mine touched but from a video it seemed the turn signal lid didn't allow to close it "not fully" so I didn't suggest that directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorgo View Post
generally water can cause damage, especially when it comes to electronics
It's not "exactly" water, it's some condensation on the glass, the same thing as on the windshield on cold/wet days (that must be rare in Israel ). The contacts in the car are made pretty safe so not much worrying unless there's plenty of water.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #8
spiderbomb23
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 series 118d F20

I have the same issue and saw another BMW with the same problem.
The local dealer and BMW said the only option is to replace them, unfortunately...

Another way its to leave the cap when you replace the blinker bulb open do let the mist go away, the downside, dust particles can get inside the headlamp...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 01:23 AM   #9
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

I have this problem on my 2014 116i and leaving the top access covers off helps.
I also have fitted bright led drls and these get quite warm which helps drive out the moisture.

Replacement headlights are around £330 from buycarparts.co.uk but fitting them is not quick and easy I believe.
Appreciate 0