BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Key fob replacement

11-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Tidus
Rep
Drives: F20 118d

Key fob replacement

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with BMW about my problem with my car, I hope you can help me to solve it or maybe juste give me some hints.

So, I have been robbed recently and they took my 2 keys fob. After some search, i ordered a new key fob from BMW according to my VIN. Got it today.

I was able to open the door manually with the key but i'm just unable to do more. If a place the key fob on the right of the steer wheel, nothing happen. I can't start the engine. BMW told me it's not normal but they don't know why it doesn't work and what i can do.

So i have some questions for you:
- Is it normal that i can't unlock doors or put on contact from inside the car by using the car lock button ? Even welcome lights, i just can't turn it on.
- Can i do something ? Maybe by connecting E-sys to the car ?

Maybe i just do wrong things i don't know. But my dealer doesn't seem he wants to help me even if i already ordered the new key fob from him.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

hold the fob to the marked place at the steering colum.. bress brake, and pres start/stop Button about 10-15 times ( while Fob is still at the marked place) it should initialize .. Ignition goes on , Unlocking works then if VIN on Key is correct if not -> Dealer should read vin from the Key... you still should go to the dealer if the car runs to disable the stolen fob
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
Tidus
Rep

Thanks for your answer.
Just tried what you said multiple times. Nothing changed.

Is it normal that i cannot turn welcome lights on ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
dorgo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

This one worked for me

In case this doesn't work for you, I think you need to contact a dealership.

As mentioned above, it's highly recommended to remove the stolen keys from the car's computer.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

To me, it's most obvious the fob must be "programmed" into the car's computer to be recognized. (What the dumbest dealer can't even advise about that? If the fob they supplied does not work they must replace it! ) I believe the VIN relationship is only about the manual unlocking (and the fob model in general).

And by the way, I would replace the manual locking secret (#8, "Lock cylinder with key", where the "key" is apparently the fob insert part, not the whole fob, of course! Thus there was no need to order the fob by the VIN if they had an appropriate "void" one to simply buy.) besides coding out the stolen fobs.

It's amazing the handbook says only "New remote controls can be obtained from your Service Centre." and "A lost remote control can be blocked by the Service Centre.": who would bother to lock a BMW, really?

The dealer must require some "strong" proof of ownership for fob/key servicing (they should have already when accepting the order for the VIN fob).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:36 AM   #6
Tidus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorgo View Post
This one worked for me

In case this doesn't work for you, I think you need to contact a dealership.

As mentioned above, it's highly recommended to remove the stolen keys from the car's computer.
I will try that. But i don't think it will work. On this video we can see he already unlocked the car before entering.
On my car, i can only unlock the door manually. My car stays locked (for example my steering wheel is locked).

Yes i know i must disable the stolen keys. I plan to do it too. Thanks.
I will try to do a video because some things are weird for me. I have no warning message on the screen. Can't turn on lights, can't unlock doors with button. But maybe it's a normal thing.
Even if i can unlock the door thank to the manual key, it seems that the whole car is still locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
To me, it's most obvious the fob must be "programmed" into the car's computer to be recognized. (What the dumbest dealer can't even advise about that? If the fob they supplied does not work they must replace it! ) I believe the VIN relationship is only about the manual unlocking (and the fob model in general).
I asked my dealer if they forgot maybe to do something like programming it. He answered that they don't need to do anything, just order it. Sounds weird for me...

Quote:
And by the way, I would replace the manual locking secret (#8, "Lock cylinder with key", where the "key" is apparently the fob insert part, not the whole fob, of course! Thus there was no need to order the fob by the VIN if they had an appropriate "void" one to simply buy.) besides coding out the stolen fobs.

It's amazing the handbook says only "New remote controls can be obtained from your Service Centre." and "A lost remote control can be blocked by the Service Centre.": who would bother to lock a BMW, really?

The dealer must require some "strong" proof of ownership for fob/key servicing (they should have already when accepting the order for the VIN fob).
Yes i'm also fighting with BMW with that. They want i to change the whole system. But I saw that I just need to change the two lock cylinders (and it seems it's very easy to do it).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
I will try that. But i don't think it will work. On this video we can see he already unlocked the car before entering.
On my car, i can only unlock the door manually. My car stays locked (for example my steering wheel is locked).

Yes i know i must disable the stolen keys. I plan to do it too. Thanks.
I will try to do a video because some things are weird for me. I have no warning message on the screen. Can't turn on lights, can't unlock doors with button. But maybe it's a normal thing.
Even if i can unlock the door thank to the manual key, it seems that the whole car is still locked.

I asked my dealer if they forgot maybe to do something like programming it. He answered that they don't need to do anything, just order it. Sounds weird for me...

Yes i'm also fighting with BMW with that. They want i to change the whole system. But I saw that I just need to change the two lock cylinders (and it seems it's very easy to do it).
An important security point is a new key (the remote control functionality) must only start working with the car when it has reached the legitimate owner, not just anybody (dealer employee included). BMW mustn't overlook that. Say, if a lost key can be blocked (according to the manual) it effectively means the car tells keys from each other so they should be introduced to it initially for that. Pre-programming extra keys at the factory would be a security breach (and what if you change keys "too often"?).

Why two lock cylinders? "There can be only one!" (F20/F21 only have it in the driver's door, don't they?) The two part numbers refer to distinct ordering options: when you wish to retain the key you have and when you wish to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
Tidus
Rep

Quote:
This one worked for me
Man, it worked !!!!
You saved my day. I just couldn't believe it until i heard the "click" which unlocked the steering wheel. So i did this again and i was able to start the engine. For those who have the same problem, it's very important to place the key at the exact place and the same way.

All is working now, even confort access (BMW told me they need to code this.... what a bullshit). I just followed this video and it worked.
Thanks a lot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Why two lock cylinders? "There can be only one!" (F20/F21 only have it in the driver's door, don't they?) The two part numbers refer to distinct ordering options: when you wish to retain the key you have and when you wish to replace it.
Hum maybe you are right. My car is still in her box. I can't see the other door i will check that later. If there is only one lock to change it will be cheaper

I totally agree with what you said and understand now why it behaves like that. It's just crazy that BMW couldn't (or wouldn't ?) give me the solution to solve my problem except by paying again...

So next step is order lock cylinder and lock stolen keys with e-sys.

PS: Sorry for my english which is not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #9
dorgo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Was more than happy to help
Appreciate 0