BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 2017 F20 Headlight rattle

09-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Mani_P
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 140i

2017 F20 Headlight rattle

Greetings

I have recently purchased a 2017 140i. What a car!!
The previous owner was kind enough to pay for a headlight replacement as the RH side headlight had a crack in it.
I have noticed a annoying rattle when driving through potholes or some speed bumps. After endless fault finding I think I have tracked the rattle down to the new headlight unit.
When tapping on the unit there is a plastic/metallic buzz, that sounds exactly the way when driving over an uneven surface. It is also only noticeable from the new headlight unit.

I believe the headlights are one sealed unit. Any suggestions to what can be done about the rattle, other than replacing the entire unit? They are quite expensive and I doubt the dealership will replace a fully functional headlight with a rattle...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Greetings.

If you still have the warranty for the headlight unit (it should be especially helpful if the unit was installed by the official service as well), don't guess about the dealership, just query them to make it clear. Explore your legal rights. There's BMW Customer Service to address if the dealer refuses to cooperate from doubtful reasoning.
Appreciate 0