BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 120d Sport Engine Noise

10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #45
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
I'm not sure what parts they will change exactly. When I spoke to them over the phone it felt like they didn't want to say that much. I don't know if the guy on the phone simply was not aware of exactly what is going to be done or if it's just that the situation is a bit delicate and they don't want to "expose" too much info regarding this fault?! You seem to be well informed though, you got all the details regarding exactly what parts were changed from the dealer?

I hope they fit the right kit with all the parts concerned included. You got me a bit worried now
In the PUMA they will try and fit the known-faulty [Case 3] parts due to "supply" issues... see my earlier post in this thread (#25)!
      10-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #46
spoonflames
Harvesting Information
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M135i 5dr

Please ensure they have all the parts necessary for the repair BEFORE they begin taking it apart, otherwise your car will be unavailable for a long period of time. The actual repair should take 2-3 days and there should be an additional day for road testing.
      10-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #47
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonflames View Post
Please ensure they have all the parts necessary for the repair BEFORE they begin taking it apart, otherwise your car will be unavailable for a long period of time. The actual repair should take 2-3 days and there should be an additional day for road testing.
Should be ok now mate, the parts depot move is done - let us know if you get an apology package from BMW, box of chocolates and a bottle of champagne.

I thought it was a cleaning kit when it arrived lol.
      11-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #48
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Thought I'd dig the thread back up with an update. Got a puma-case registred and the car went in for almost 1 week in the workshop. Engine-out-job indeed. Timing-chain and all related parts, guiding rails, tensioners etc changed.
Sounds right now from the outside .. sounds like a dieselengine should.

Bit annoying though that a I have another noise heard from inside the cabin now that was not there before. Long story short;
1. Car went in for standard first service. At this point there was this outside-swish-swish-noise from the engine, but a clean engine-noise from within the cabin. The workshop acknowledged there was something wrong indeed but could not fix it instantly, instead puma-case was registered and car booked for a new appointment.
2. When I picked my car up from service I noticed this new sound from within the cabin. At somewhat higher revs pressing the accelerator gave a new noise I had not heard before. Figured they might have messed about a bit with the chain/tensioners in an attempt to solve the initial problem and I didn't care since car was going in for the major puma-case-work in a couple of weeks. Thought both noises probably go away then.
3. Car went in for the puma-case-job and when I picked up the car the swish-swish noise from the outside was gone but the other sound from within the cabin was still there. Don't know how to describe it but engine sounds awful when revving/accelerating, like a loud ticking-noise from around 2000rpm and up.

Haven't bothered them with it. Don't know if I will. Don't have the time and energy right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #49
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolz View Post
Thought I'd dig the thread back up with an update. Got a puma-case registred and the car went in for almost 1 week in the workshop. Engine-out-job indeed. Timing-chain and all related parts, guiding rails, tensioners etc changed.
Sounds right now from the outside .. sounds like a dieselengine should.

Bit annoying though that a I have another noise heard from inside the cabin now that was not there before. Long story short;
1. Car went in for standard first service. At this point there was this outside-swish-swish-noise from the engine, but a clean engine-noise from within the cabin. The workshop acknowledged there was something wrong indeed but could not fix it instantly, instead puma-case was registered and car booked for a new appointment.
2. When I picked my car up from service I noticed this new sound from within the cabin. At somewhat higher revs pressing the accelerator gave a new noise I had not heard before. Figured they might have messed about a bit with the chain/tensioners in an attempt to solve the initial problem and I didn't care since car was going in for the major puma-case-work in a couple of weeks. Thought both noises probably go away then.
3. Car went in for the puma-case-job and when I picked up the car the swish-swish noise from the outside was gone but the other sound from within the cabin was still there. Don't know how to describe it but engine sounds awful when revving/accelerating, like a loud ticking-noise from around 2000rpm and up.

Haven't bothered them with it. Don't know if I will. Don't have the time and energy right now.
Sounds like what I thought was a problem when I first got mine.
Would you call it a raspy noise as the revs get to the higher end just before changing up? I had a couple of loaners while my car was in for the chain etc and a 114d with 300 miles on the clock sounded exactly the same so I stopped worrying about this noise.

Keep an ear on it but I don't think it's a problem and you will get used to it eventually.
      11-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #50
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Sounds like what I thought was a problem when I first got mine.
Would you call it a raspy noise as the revs get to the higher end just before changing up? I had a couple of loaners while my car was in for the chain etc and a 114d with 300 miles on the clock sounded exactly the same so I stopped worrying about this noise.

Keep an ear on it but I don't think it's a problem and you will get used to it eventually.
Hard to describe a noise but yes I'd say it's raspy. It's a rev-dependant ticking noise. I didn't have it before and the 118d loaner I had didn't have it either as far I could tell. I think the ticking is there from 1500-2000rpm and up. Probably there all the way to 4500rpm but hard to hear it as the overall engine noise get loud enough to cover the sound when you reach the upper end of the rev-spectrum.

Could aswell be a loose screw or some forgotten tool vibrating, I haven't tried listening with the hood open while revving. Could be anything, I haven't made much effort to localize it yet.
Appreciate 0