BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Which F40? FWD 118d or AWD 120d?

08-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Which F40? FWD 118d or AWD 120d?

Very soon I have to decide between buying a FWD 118d fully spec'd (Sport Line, EDC, 18 inch wheels, all the packages, sunroof, Harman Kardon, etc.) or an AWD 120d in base colour with fewer options (no EDC, no Stop&Go, no comfort package, no Harman Kardon, etc.).

I live in Norway, meaning that, for 9 out of 12 months, I'll be driving in autumn/winter conditions, from rain to all types of snow, slush, and icy roads. However, most of my driving is on highways and city roads. The times I'll be driving to the mountains could probably be counted on one hand during a normal year (and maybe I could either borrow or rent an AWD car).

I've been reading a lot of articles about FWD vs RWD vs AWD, but for the most part these are either old or very generic. So, I wonder if you guys that know how xDrive works and maybe have driven a FWD Audi or Mercedes think it is worth sacrificing a lot of options (which I actually like) to get AWD. One important thing: I'll be having my kid in the back seat, so for me security is paramount. I know that the most important thing is to drive carefully, but assuming I do so, would you say AWD is a no-brainer, or should the FWD car do just as fine?

Cheers!

Last edited by eddiehaug; 08-08-2019 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: (Added car version)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

AWD is only about traction when you need grip while driving. When breaking the AWD is of no help whatsoever. Therefor the security aspect of having AWD very much depends on your skills and driving manors. With AWD you of course still need your winter tires.

There is a huge difference between a BMW base model and a well/fully equipped version of the same model. Both drive well but the feeling of having a luxury car is sort of missing in the base version.

If you really don’t need the AWD in order to go where you need to go I would choose the 118d but if FWD is limiting your possibilities to get around I would go for the xDrive. Like if you need to leave home before the roads are cleared.
      08-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Thanks for the answers. A bit more info I should've added to begin with:

1. Winter tires are mandatory in Norway for winter driving. So, from around October/November ever car has to get the tires changed, and I do as recommended.

2. The difference between getting the AWD model and the FWD one is not one of "base model vs fully equipped model". It's rather one of "AWD with fewer options vs fully equipped". Just to give you an idea, these are some of the options I'd be missing:

- Colour: I'd have to go with a base one (Alpina white) (big bummer)
- No leather seats
- No adaptive dampers
- No Cruise Control w/Stop&Go
- No electric tailgate
- No comfort access
- No Harman & Kardon sound (this one hurts)
- No Wireless Charging and improved mics/calls in the cabin
- No Wi-Fi hotspot
- And maybe a few more "no's" depending on what I get from the dealer, which could include "no electric seat adjustment, no M-steering (which I actually like), etc."

Until recently, I had a 530e RWD, and I used it for the complete past winter, and aside from having to be extra careful with the dancing of the rear of the car in corners and curves, I didn't have any major issue with it, and it snowed quite a lot. However, the very big difference for this upcoming winter is that I'll have to drive a whole lot more, but as said, in highways and city roads mostly, and with a FWD instead of RWD.

Another difference between the FWD and AWD versions of the new 1-series is the engine: 118d with 150HP vs 120d with 190HP. I have no idea how much of a real difference this makes in real life though —not that I can race the car here anyway.

To be honest, I'd love to have an AWD car, just so I can just have it whenever and if ever need it. But I also know that I won't be needing it most of the time, and the extra options do make driving a lot more pleasant for the 95% of the time I'm not in the mountain. I just don't know what I should prioritise at this point in time.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

When you put it that way I would go for the 118d. I have a F30 335i with all bits and pieces and a friend of mine has a F20 118i with almost all bits and pieces which I borrowed for a few days. It felt like a “real” BMW, was fun to drive and in the daily traffic I wasn’t missing the power. So I don’t think you will miss the power by not going for the 120d.

I fully get your point with AWD and my next BMW will have xDrive. Not because I need it but just because I can. Only once I got stuck in the snow in a Mazda 6 FWD (about 20-30 cm of snow). AWD wouldn’t have helped me in that situation because the bottom of the car got stuck on top of the snow. AWD would just have spun four wheels instead of two ;-). Same happened to my son in a RWD BMW in some gravel. AWD wouldn’t have helped.

Having said all that you should try to drive the X2 in both a sDrive and a xDrive version if possible. The X2 is probably the closest you get to the new F40 and even though the xDrive is FWD-biased it is fun in a different way compared to RWD. If you push it to the edge out of a roundabout, which I now there are plenty of in Norway, and more power is distributed to the rear it feels like something is literally kicking it out of the roundabout. That is a different sort of fun that you won’t have in neither a RWD or FWD car.
      08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
you should try to drive the X2 in both a sDrive and a xDrive version if possible. The X2 is probably the closest you get to the new F40 and even though the xDrive is FWD-biased it is fun in a different way compared to RWD.
This is a great idea, I hadn't thought about it. I'll talk to the dealer and see if they have a couple of X2's around that I can try.

One Q: do you use to drive or have you driven to the mountain in Norway or Germany with a non-AWD car? If so, how's the experience been in general? Any scary incidents?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

I haven't been driving at lot i the mountains in the winter. Only tried it once in Germany and that's when I got stuck. I always use premium tires and as long as the snow wasn't much higher than my ground clearence i've never experienced any problems with a 2WD. Steap roades may however be a problem if 2 wheels are not giving you enough grip.