BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Porsche 991.2 4S - My Full Review
View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
991.1 GTS 14 58.33%
991.2 Carrera 4S (Turbo) 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

07-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Arrow Porsche 991.2 4S - My Full Review

Hope you enjoy this review. Please like and subscribe. Thanks guys!

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 3
buddalun678.00
cenix379.00
      08-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Great vid kgroschi!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:57 AM   #3
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Great vid kgroschi!
Thanks a lot!!!

-
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Completely agree with the review!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Completely agree with the review!
Thanks! Glad to hear that!

-
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I feel like turbo cars are much easier to drive in real life / on the road compared to NA since you don't have to rev much at all. The 911.2 sounds pretty good, definitely loud enough (actually I find it too loud with sports exhaust).

If you really just like to rev the car car and want the car to be very loud when it develops power, then I guess go with .1 GTS... I think tests show the base 911.2 matching .1 GTS performance on virtually all measures.

I would definitely pick a .2 vs a .1 GTS. It's just a matter of personal taste.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I feel like turbo cars are much easier to drive in real life / on the road compared to NA since you don't have to rev much at all. The 911.2 sounds pretty good, definitely loud enough (actually I find it too loud with sports exhaust).

If you really just like to rev the car car and want the car to be very loud when it develops power, then I guess go with .1 GTS... I think tests show the base 911.2 matching .1 GTS performance on virtually all measures.

I would definitely pick a .2 vs a .1 GTS. It's just a matter of personal taste.
Well I do agree with you. The .2 is easier to drive. But is that what you want from a brand that's supposed to build drivers cars? I think that statement fits with the overall direction the car industry is going. Everything has to become easier and more comfortable. Even a McLaren 650S is now a daily car you could even let your mom drive to buy some groceries. It's great on one hand, but it sucks for people who have been spoiled with cars that have to be driven right in order to be enjoyable. Cars that are just so much more rewarding.

There is no question that a .2 at least as quick as a .1 GTS, but again, speed shouldn't be part of the decision process when trying to find a drivers car.

No doubt the .2 is the best car the 911 has ever been. But to me, that's not a good thing.

-
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

i think for me, straight-line speed is no longer a priority. and a car that feels like you are doing 60mph when it's really 120mph, likely means there are many layers of technology insulating you from that sensation of speed.

i don't want a car that is difficult to drive. i want the driving experience of a car that rewards you with the effort you put in.

perhaps this is the allure of a manual transmission, and the progressive dyno curves of a NA engine.

i do agree that the experience is getting neutered by each successive automotive generation. there are some recent exceptions...the GT4, M2, gt350, etc.
JTO245246.50
      08-03-2016, 06:09 AM   #9
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Excellent video that sums up the small but vocal enthusiast market.

The 991.2 is a better car, but not a better 911. Same can be said about the 718 (though more criticism is lobbed that way since they also went to a flat 4 which is meant to sound great in a WRX, abysmal in a sports car IMHO).

All of these cars are stupid fast on public roads, if you are more about feel and ear-gasms you can't replace the NA engines in this context. Its why it looks like I will be holding on to our 987.1 cayman with its tiny rev happy engine for quite some time (or until I find a good deal on a 981 )

My 335d, which I adore for all its great attribute and despise for BMW making it a beta program car with emissions, may be replaced and to replace it I would be looking for a N52 car with a manual to ring out. N55's are more powerful but just not the same.

- b
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
i think for me, straight-line speed is no longer a priority. and a car that feels like you are doing 60mph when it's really 120mph, likely means there are many layers of technology insulating you from that sensation of speed.

i don't want a car that is difficult to drive. i want the driving experience of a car that rewards you with the effort you put in.

perhaps this is the allure of a manual transmission, and the progressive dyno curves of a NA engine.

i do agree that the experience is getting neutered by each successive automotive generation. there are some recent exceptions...the GT4, M2, gt350, etc.
I like you! Couldn't have said it any better.

-
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlieu View Post
Excellent video that sums up the small but vocal enthusiast market.

The 991.2 is a better car, but not a better 911. Same can be said about the 718 (though more criticism is lobbed that way since they also went to a flat 4 which is meant to sound great in a WRX, abysmal in a sports car IMHO).

All of these cars are stupid fast on public roads, if you are more about feel and ear-gasms you can't replace the NA engines in this context. Its why it looks like I will be holding on to our 987.1 cayman with its tiny rev happy engine for quite some time (or until I find a good deal on a 981 )

My 335d, which I adore for all its great attribute and despise for BMW making it a beta program car with emissions, may be replaced and to replace it I would be looking for a N52 car with a manual to ring out. N55's are more powerful but just not the same.

- b
I love your first sentence! Thank you for that and I also agree with your point. Cars are getting stupidly fast, less enjoyable.

-
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

You're absolutely right. Every update to each model has been less engaging and visceral to drive. Maybe the cars are too good? I don't know.

But I could never commute 100 miles round trip with the previous generation of 911's in any form because it was too in your face after a while. It was almost too sharp and I wanted some laziness to make my commute a little easier yet engaging. I don't know if that makes sense but the long commuters can understand...

My brother just picked up his 991.2 and honestly, it's the only 911 model that ever I felt I could commute with and not worry about it being too in your face. If I was using this car as a second car or something for short spirited drives, I can see it being a bit disappointing and less engaging. For me, it could be the perfect fun commuter. =)
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
You're absolutely right. Every update to each model has been less engaging and visceral to drive. Maybe the cars are too good? I don't know.

But I could never commute 100 miles round trip with the previous generation of 911's in any form because it was too in your face after a while. It was almost too sharp and I wanted some laziness to make my commute a little easier yet engaging. I don't know if that makes sense but the long commuters can understand...

My brother just picked up his 991.2 and honestly, it's the only 911 model that ever I felt I could commute with and not worry about it being too in your face. If I was using this car as a second car or something for short spirited drives, I can see it being a bit disappointing and less engaging. For me, it could be the perfect fun commuter. =)
Ok fair enough. I think the 991.1 is already good enough for commuting, but I agree it would be more on the "enthusiastic" side of a commuter haha. But don't you have hundreds of other choices for that!? Such as your M5 or and M3 or a C63, stuff like that. I am sad that more and more sports cars are turning into this morning commute cars.

-
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
man this chassis has to be one of my favorites.thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 01:19 AM   #15
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
man this chassis has to be one of my favorites.thanks for sharing.
Ya it's very beautiful for sure.

PS: Go Leopards!!!

-
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgroschi View Post
Ok fair enough. I think the 991.1 is already good enough for commuting, but I agree it would be more on the "enthusiastic" side of a commuter haha. But don't you have hundreds of other choices for that!? Such as your M5 or and M3 or a C63, stuff like that. I am sad that more and more sports cars are turning into this morning commute cars.
I only turn to those cars cause the 991.1 was bit too aggressive for long distance hauls everyday.

Quite honestly, all the M cars and AMG's weren't high on my list to "must have". I wanted something a bit more special yet didn't scream look at me. Only two cars fit my budget which were the 991.1 and the R8 V8. The Audi just got way too much attention and the infotainment started to feel dated. The 991.1 was a bit too in your face for a very long drive. Now with the 991.2 I feel like it fits my needs but it might not be for everyone since it did become a bit more sedated...

More touring then sports car IMO.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 11:49 AM   #17
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim119 View Post
I only turn to those cars cause the 991.1 was bit too aggressive for long distance hauls everyday.

Quite honestly, all the M cars and AMG's weren't high on my list to "must have". I wanted something a bit more special yet didn't scream look at me. Only two cars fit my budget which were the 991.1 and the R8 V8. The Audi just got way too much attention and the infotainment started to feel dated. The 991.1 was a bit too in your face for a very long drive. Now with the 991.2 I feel like it fits my needs but it might not be for everyone since it did become a bit more sedated...

More touring then sports car IMO.
Yup that makes sense. It did get very touring car like. Before you would need to have money to buy a Porsche Turbo to be able to have a very comfortable 911 daily car. Now your entry level model does the same for you. Now you have to go with a GT3 if you want that N/A Racecarlike feeling.

-
Appreciate 0