BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Parents looking at 535 and E350...a couple questions about the 5 (kinda long post)

01-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Parents looking at 535 and E350...a couple questions about the 5 (kinda long post)

So the lease on my parents 04 E320 is ending, and they're wondering what to do. The financial situation right now isn't so certain, so they were thinking of just extending the lease for a year for now, instead of delving into new cars/contracts.

Whether they decide to do it now or in a year, I was wondering some things about the 5. Personally, I like the look of the E more than the 5, and for my parents, it's right with them with the right amount of classy and sporty look (to me). But now that only BMW has covered maintenance, they were wondering about the 5. (Luckily we got the E when MB did covered maintenance)

First off, how does the non-SP 5 series drive? We all know that SP equipped cars are great, but non-SP might seem too soft to some, so I wanted some insight on that. Before anybody starts bashing MB and saying "well I'm sure it handles way better than any MB," I have to say our E handles well (with the adjustable suspension), and my dad prefers driving on the stiffer setting (but not stiffest). So, I'm wondering if the non-SP 5 is too soft; and I'm pretty sure the SP will be too stiff for their liking, not to mention the $2800 price for SP (trying to keep the price down). Of course, I myself would prefer the SP, but it's not my car we're talking about..

Next question is the "Sport auto" transmission vs the normal STEP they have for the car. Are they both the ZF tranny found in the 335 except one has paddles, or are they different? I drove a 535xiT at the BMW Breast cancer drive (which is not sport auto) but I don't remember the shift action. I know the sport auto requires sport package and would add a bunch of money to the tag, but I'm just wondering.

Basically it looks like a non-SP 535i with normal STEP, premium, cold, nav, logic 7, and a couple things (like rear side airbags)...or an E350 with an all-inclusive package and sport (which costs less than the 5).

Again, my main concern (with this post) is if the non-SP 535 drives too soft. I know the 535 is way faster haha. Thanks in advance.
      01-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

A non-SP 5er should be around as firm as an E. I spent some time in an E550 a couple weekends ago with the adjustable suspension (is it air suspension?). Regardless, it was slightly less firm than a non-sports equipped E90, and when I looked at the 5 around a year ago, I didn't feel like the 5 was any less firm than the 3. So, refer to the first sentence of this post.

At the same time, are your folks sure they don't want to wait for the new E-class to come out, especially with the option of extending their lease for one more year? Should be fall of this year I think.

I missed the rest of your question though. The sport auto is the same thing we have in our 3ers and the steptronic is the same as what you get in all the other 5s and the X5s. I'm not sure if it shifts any slower, but the mechanism is completely different (see the pictures of the X5s shift lever)
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
A non-SP 5er should be around as firm as an E. I spent some time in an E550 a couple weekends ago with the adjustable suspension (is it air suspension?). Regardless, it was slightly less firm than a non-sports equipped E90, and when I looked at the 5 around a year ago, I didn't feel like the 5 was any less firm than the 3. So, refer to the first sentence of this post.

At the same time, are your folks sure they don't want to wait for the new E-class to come out, especially with the option of extending their lease for one more year? Should be fall of this year I think.

I missed the rest of your question though. The sport auto is the same thing we have in our 3ers and the steptronic is the same as what you get in all the other 5s and the X5s. I'm not sure if it shifts any slower, but the mechanism is completely different (see the pictures of the X5s shift lever)
Thanks for the feedback.

With the sport auto question, I was wondering if it is the same ZF tranny found in the 335 auto, and what the difference is between the sport auto option and the steptronic option in the 535 (it costs $500 more for "sport auto"). In other words, is "sport auto" in the 535 the ZF tranny, and is steptronic in the 535 the GM tranny?

I think the 535 has the same shift lever mechanism whether it's sport auto or steptronic, but the sport auto also has paddle shifters.

As for the new E-class, I think a new one is due for 2010 model year, not 2009.
      01-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Taken from http://www.emaineautos.com/review.php?id=5813

The great majority will choose BMW's six-speed Steptronic automatic, and they won't give up much. The Steptronic's innards have been massaged for 2008 to increase shift speed, which improves both efficiency and acceleration. For 2008, it features a drive-by-wire electronic gear selector, meaning the shifter merely sends an electric signal to the transmission, rather than mechanically engaging the gears.

For 2008, a new Sport Automatic is available for the 535 models and 550i, which adds paddles shifters on the steering wheel and delivers even quicker, crisper shifts in manual mode. With this option, BMW's Sequential Manual Gearbox is no longer offered in the standard 5 Series. In a luxury sedan like this, we won't miss it.

~~~~
Judging from this, I'm guessing that you're hypothesis on ZF being the sport auto and non-ZF being the regular article is probably correct. I'll keep looking for hard facts.

+1 on the 2010 e-class release date. I just looked it up.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Not quite.

The sport automatic transmission is the same auto transmission in the X5 and 3 series. The regular steptronic in the 5 is the same as what the 3 had before the 335 coupe was released. The difference is that shifts are quicker in manual mode on the sport auto tran.

Yes, the X5 has a different gear lever (it is electronic while the 3 and 5 aren't) it shares the same transmission as the 3 and 5 sport auto.

Since your parents don't sound they they'll be doing any driving in manual mode, save the money and don't get the sport auto tran.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
NaTuReB0Y