BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Inspire (sleep apnea)

01-19-2022, 06:59 PM   #1
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Inspire (sleep apnea)

Anyone have any experience or go for a consult?
I hated my Cpap 14 years ago and I hate my new one today. My only hope is a different mask but I hate hate hate hate it
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I've never been officially diagnosed with it, but had trouble breathing at night and snored like a mofo, so I went to an otolaryngologist about 7 years ago, and he did a "turbinate reduction" and fixed my deviated septum, and BOOM, breathing problem completely fixed. Reduced snoring to next to nothing by side sleeping exclusively. I have NO desire to try to sleep in a CPAP mask so this was a good solution for me. I'd seek other solutions before going back to a mask. Good luck!
      01-19-2022, 08:13 PM   #3
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

I heard that surgery is grueling.
I deal fine with the apnea in my head but I do tire early at night and I know I snore bc everyone tells me….but the worst part is people telling me regularly it will kill me due to a stroke or high BP.

I guess I feel l8ke I could deal with the symptoms but 20% of me wants to be better for my wife and family, just not wearing a mask though
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I think I had it for a very short period about 15 years ago. I would wake up gasping for air and my heart was pounding. I felt like I stopped breathing. I made an appointment but it stopped as quick as it started. It happened several times. Is that sleep apnea? Don't know what the symptoms are except being overweight can be one of them (which I'm not). Those masks don't look too comfortable and I feel for the people who have to wear them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

So I don't know much about sleep apnea but I have heard that the full face mask is life changing. It's almost like a new style gas mask. Only thing I wouldn't think to be good is the pressure on the eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:16 PM   #6
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I hated my Cpap 14 years ago and I hate my new one today. My only hope is a different mask but I hate hate hate hate it
I have not, but maybe I just dislike the idea of surgery even more than my stupid fucking cpap. You know what I find interesting… I had no sleep issues. I fell asleep fine, as far as I could tell I slept like a baby and was never sleepy or falling asleep at work or anything. I did snore.

However one day my doctor for many years (now retired) did some blood work and said my testosterone was low for my age… mmmkay. No effects that I could tell from this low testosterone either. He claimed that testosterone is produced in your sleep and being fairly young and having low testosterone means I was not sleeping well. So he had me do a sleep study and it came back they I had bad sleep apnea.

I have used the machine since even though I hate it. However now I cannot sleep a wink without this fucking pos. I cannot even fall asleep unless I got that shit strapped to my face like a fucking fighter pilot.

I’ve heard conflicting results about special mouth appliances also that are suppose to help with it. I’m fat, but none of the people at the sleep study place where I had mine done were fat. I’m also pretty sure my father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he was not fat either. He would snore like crazy and go silent for periods, obviously didn’t know about sleep apnea at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
So I don't know much about sleep apnea but I have heard that the full face mask is life changing. It's almost like a new style gas mask. Only thing I wouldn't think to be good is the pressure on the eyes.
Like full face full face like fucking cosmonaut? Never heard of such a thing. I have what is considered a full face mask but it’s only mouth and nose. A lot of people just use nose.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have not, but maybe I just dislike the idea of surgery even more than my stupid fucking cpap.
The surgery I had was no big deal. Outpatient basis. I was given a general so I was knocked out, sent home after short time in the recovery room. Tubes jammed up my nose for several days afterwards sucked, but once they came out - WOW. What a difference. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Life changing.

I have a buddy who's now on a CPAP. Shared a room in Vegas with him a while back. He was a prolific snorer before (I learned the hard way in the same situation earlier) so NFW I would ever share a room with him again. Figured that since he was now on a CPAP, all would be well. NOT!!! The machine was loud as fuk, and he still snores inside the damn mask!
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #8
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
I heard that surgery is grueling.
Turbinate trim? Nah, piece of cake. I've had 2 sinus surgeries and a turbinate reduction. Didnt seem all that bad as far as the procedure and recovery. i still snore like a mofo but at least I dont get sinus infections multiple times a year anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:33 PM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The surgery I had was no big deal. Outpatient basis. I was given a general so I was knocked out, sent home after short time in the recovery room. Tubes jammed up my nose for several days afterwards sucked, but once they came out - WOW. What a difference. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Life changing.

I have a buddy who's now on a CPAP. Shared a room in Vegas with him a while back. He was a prolific snorer before (I learned the hard way in the same situation earlier) so NFW I would ever share a room with him again. Figured that since he was now on a CPAP, all would be well. NOT!!! The machine was loud as fuk, and he still snores inside the damn mask!
I was speaking of the inspire specifically which is like a device they implant on you that shocks your throat when you start to spazz out… in technical terms.

I had never heard of turbinate reduction until now. As for your friend. He is either not wearing the proper mask, not wearing properly or does not have the proper pressure. The only way I snore is if my mask comes partially off in the middle of the night. After time the head straps can become loose so I have to tighten them and replace the straps every so often.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:25 AM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This kinda goes one of two directions, either one has a medical issue that can be rectified via surgery or one has gained too much weight, only way to fix that is drop the weight. I have been on a CPAP for years, I hate it, use a mouth and nose mask (called full face) and it's just a pain in the arse. Long term goal is to be off the cpap by end of year. Without it, i cannot sleep at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #11
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
My dad died of undiagnosed congestive heart failure brought on by undiagnosed sleep apnea. He was seeing a doctor about shortness of breath, but the doctor completely misdiagnosed the case, labeling it "allergies." Dad was only 55.

If you think you have sleep apnea, take it seriously.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
2000cs3443.50
      01-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #12
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
My dad died of undiagnosed congestive heart failure brought on by undiagnosed sleep apnea. He was seeing a doctor about shortness of breath, but the doctor completely misdiagnosed the case, labeling it "allergies." Dad was only 55.

If you think you have sleep apnea, take it seriously.
So sorry to read that, thats way too young to lose your dad. My problem is I act naive to the problem b/c I have gone 14 yrs with essentially doing nothing about it. Its a false sense of security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This kinda goes one of two directions, either one has a medical issue that can be rectified via surgery or one has gained too much weight, only way to fix that is drop the weight. I have been on a CPAP for years, I hate it, use a mouth and nose mask (called full face) and it's just a pain in the arse. Long term goal is to be off the cpap by end of year. Without it, i cannot sleep at all.
Mine would be medical, my tongue moves to the back of my throat. Problem with surgery is they say after 6 months the scar tissue builds and essentially does the same as your tongue moving AND is very painful surgery. PASS
Although I could lose weight now (20 lbs) I was probably 40 lbs lighter when I was diagnose and def not a pound overweight back then.

Quote:
I have not, but maybe I just dislike the idea of surgery even more than my stupid fucking cpap. You know what I find interesting… I had no sleep issues. I fell asleep fine, as far as I could tell I slept like a baby and was never sleepy or falling asleep at work or anything. I did snore.

However one day my doctor for many years (now retired) did some blood work and said my testosterone was low for my age… mmmkay. No effects that I could tell from this low testosterone either. He claimed that testosterone is produced in your sleep and being fairly young and having low testosterone means I was not sleeping well. So he had me do a sleep study and it came back they I had bad sleep apnea.

I have used the machine since even though I hate it. However now I cannot sleep a wink without this fucking pos. I cannot even fall asleep unless I got that shit strapped to my face like a fucking fighter pilot.

I’ve heard conflicting results about special mouth appliances also that are suppose to help with it. I’m fat, but none of the people at the sleep study place where I had mine done were fat. I’m also pretty sure my father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he was not fat either. He would snore like crazy and go silent for periods, obviously didn’t know about sleep apnea at the time.

Like full face full face like fucking cosmonaut? Never heard of such a thing. I have what is considered a full face mask but it’s only mouth and nose. A lot of people just use nose.
I hear you, I hate the thing. Mines brand new and quiet but you got hoses and cords next to the bed and BS on your face etc....ughhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I think I had it for a very short period about 15 years ago. I would wake up gasping for air and my heart was pounding. I felt like I stopped breathing. I made an appointment but it stopped as quick as it started. It happened several times. Is that sleep apnea? Don't know what the symptoms are except being overweight can be one of them (which I'm not). Those masks don't look too comfortable and I feel for the people who have to wear them.
I'm no doctor but I play a gynocologist at home. Its unlikely it went away without major changes in weight but whatever it was be glad it didnt stick around
Appreciate 1
Esteban42179.50
      01-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So it gives you a little shock so you breathe, but not enough to wake you? I heard a little bit on an ad on the radio and thought about my wife. She wears a full mask, and so tight that hours after she takes it off, there are still lines on her face.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So it gives you a little shock so you breathe, but not enough to wake you? I heard a little bit on an ad on the radio and thought about my wife. She wears a full mask, and so tight that hours after she takes it off, there are still lines on her face.
Basically, but they install the “brains” and battery pack in your chest and run some kind of wire up to your throat/chin area. I remember seeing ads for it when they were doing clinical trials. Maybe some day, but not right now.

I’ve had my machine for like 7 years and now they have all kinds of recalls and lawsuits going on because the pos apparently has some foam that releases some cancer gas or something. Nawice! Might as well be smoking a pack a night! 7 years I’ve had it and it has been around longer than that… took them a fucking decade to realize this??
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Basically, but they install the “brains” and battery pack in your chest and run some kind of wire up to your throat/chin area. I remember seeing ads for it when they were doing clinical trials. Maybe some day, but not right now.

I’ve had my machine for like 7 years and now they have all kinds of recalls and lawsuits going on because the pos apparently has some foam that releases some cancer gas or something. Nawice! Might as well be smoking a pack a night! 7 years I’ve had it and it has been around longer than that… took them a fucking decade to realize this??
Never mind!

"Larry H Parker got me 2.1 Million"
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 07:05 PM   #16
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Ughhhh, so like a pace maker is all I can think of….yeah I’m out!
Anything that sounds too good, yeah well……

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #17
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:

Yep, like fly me to the moon face mask lol. Here's a link, supposedly does make a huge difference and for $100 might be worth a shot for ya.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthca...full-face-mask
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 07:26 PM   #18
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I checked in to Inspire, but my apnea is central. Not caused by anything but my brain not remembering to breathe. I am not a candidate. That said, I don't even take a nap without my machine strapped on. Nose cone only, not full face. I love that thing. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Mine is an ASV (ResMed Aircurve 10) machine that learns my breathing, and essentially a smart Bi-PAP. Breathing in and out is different pressures. Seriously, best part of my day is when I strap it on. Most nights, a couple minutes into laying down and getting comfortable, I am out for the count. I tried a conventional CPAP when originally tested, but it was horrible. Felt like I stuck my head out the window at 100mph with no relief from the pressure. ASV does away with all that. If you can test with one, do it! For the first few weeks I had it, my wife kept waking me up because I was so quiet she thought I was dead. I seriously believe that my machine saved my life. I don't go anywhere without it. HTH.
Appreciate 1
Tommy-G4467.00
      01-20-2022, 08:20 PM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Yep, like fly me to the moon face mask lol. Here's a link, supposedly does make a huge difference and for $100 might be worth a shot for ya.

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthca...full-face-mask
Interesting, but it still seems to suffer from the biggest flaw IMO and that’s creating a seal on your skin. In this case all around your face instead of just nose and mouth. If anything I see that might be more troublesome as it’s more area to seal. My biggest issue is maintaining that seal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
I checked in to Inspire, but my apnea is central. Not caused by anything but my brain not remembering to breathe. I am not a candidate. That said, I don't even take a nap without my machine strapped on. Nose cone only, not full face. I love that thing. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Mine is an ASV (ResMed Aircurve 10) machine that learns my breathing, and essentially a smart Bi-PAP. Breathing in and out is different pressures. Seriously, best part of my day is when I strap it on. Most nights, a couple minutes into laying down and getting comfortable, I am out for the count. I tried a conventional CPAP when originally tested, but it was horrible. Felt like I stuck my head out the window at 100mph with no relief from the pressure. ASV does away with all that. If you can test with one, do it! For the first few weeks I had it, my wife kept waking me up because I was so quiet she thought I was dead. I seriously believe that my machine saved my life. I don't go anywhere without it. HTH.
I remember the guy who ran the study telling me he loved his and actually made him fall asleep as soon as he felt that air coming in. I dunno, I hate mine with a passion. Maybe because I never felt I had any lack of sleep or sleeping “issues”. So I went from IMO sleeping just fine to now having to strap all this shit to my face just to take a nap and can’t sleep a wink without it. When I do manage to fall asleep on the couch or something without it I wake up feeling like absolute shit!

I also wake up with my mouth sooooo dry. Even with the humidifier crap turned up to max. It actually use to hurt it was so dry it would crack. Had to buy a chin strap and that helped a lot, but till dry.
Appreciate 2
hubbahubba8710.00
Torgus3779.00
      01-20-2022, 08:35 PM   #20
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
So sorry to read that, thats way too young to lose your dad. My problem is I act naive to the problem b/c I have gone 14 yrs with essentially doing nothing about it. Its a false sense of security

Mine would be medical, my tongue moves to the back of my throat. Problem with surgery is they say after 6 months the scar tissue builds and essentially does the same as your tongue moving AND is very painful surgery. PASS
Although I could lose weight now (20 lbs) I was probably 40 lbs lighter when I was diagnose and def not a pound overweight back then.

I hear you, I hate the thing. Mines brand new and quiet but you got hoses and cords next to the bed and BS on your face etc....ughhh

I'm no doctor but I play a gynocologist at home. Its unlikely it went away without major changes in weight but whatever it was be glad it didnt stick around
After dad died, mom told me that dad would wake multiple times every night, gasping for air. His heart never got decent rest, plus it was shorted adequate oxygen. Thinking back (dad has been gone for 40 years), dad started complaining of fatigue about 5 years before he passed away. So, he started working shorter days at our mom and pop TV store. Then he started giving me shirts that didn't fit him anymore. This didn't make sense to me at first, and I didn't think much of it at the time. The fact of the matter was that his chest was expanding to accommodate his enlarging heart. None of us recognized the symptoms, which all seem so obvious today.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:58 PM   #21
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Interesting, but it still seems to suffer from the biggest flaw IMO and that’s creating a seal on your skin. In this case all around your face instead of just nose and mouth. If anything I see that might be more troublesome as it’s more area to seal. My biggest issue is maintaining that seal.

I remember the guy who ran the study telling me he loved his and actually made him fall asleep as soon as he felt that air coming in. I dunno, I hate mine with a passion. Maybe because I never felt I had any lack of sleep or sleeping “issues”. So I went from IMO sleeping just fine to now having to strap all this shit to my face just to take a nap and can’t sleep a wink without it. When I do manage to fall asleep on the couch or something without it I wake up feeling like absolute shit!

I also wake up with my mouth sooooo dry. Even with the humidifier crap turned up to max. It actually use to hurt it was so dry it would crack. Had to buy a chin strap and that helped a lot, but till dry.
As to seal, strap that shit on tight.

As to waking up from a nap on the couch and feeiling like shit, I feel ya. I don't nap on the couch anymore.

Dry mouth, ya me too. No real answer for you, but better than waking up dead. My score last night was ZERO events over 8 hours. Sure as hell beats 45 events an hour. I've been up since 4AM, and still feel pretty good. Prior to having a machine I would have been dead tired by 8 or 9 AM. Just sayin'.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 10:03 PM   #22
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I treat OSA patients with oral appliance therapy. If you have any questions feel free to DM me. You can check out my website www.lanesleepsolutions.com
Esteban42179.50
Tommy-G4467.00