BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Debate: Would you buy your kid a newish BMW?

08-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #45
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
No...No....No....and NO.

I bought my first car back in 1996 with my own money. I bought everything I have today myself and im grateful my parents didnt help me in anyway. There is no lesson more important then the one I learned. I know the value of money, a job and helping others when needed.

I got straight A's in school in the important subjects (math and science) and all I got was the keys to my dad's car when needed.
Appreciate 2
br2wdc271.00
Gregrobin578.00
      08-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #46
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I'm really surprised by the immediate "No" responses. My kids are grown and on their own now, but when they were living at home and starting to drive, my first and foremost concern was for their safety. Both of my kids were "nerds" by pretty much any standard. My oldest is now a Civil Engineer with her PE, and my youngest has a doctorate in neural psychology and is a director of a research lab. I tell you this for context. I bought both kids their first cars. My oldest got a fully loaded Toyota Solara, and my youngest got a Chrysler PT Cruiser. Had I found a BMW or Mercedes at a reasonable price at that time, I wouldn't have hesitated putting them in one. Cars don't make kids into "shits".
I don't disagree, though, you are saying your kids are not "shits" based on their education and now their careers. I have a degree, an education, and a good paying job, but can still be a shit to those around me and society :-)
      08-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #47
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
I don't disagree, though, you are saying your kids are not "shits" based on their education and now their careers. I have a degree, an education, and a good paying job, but can still be a shit to those around me and society :-)
Exactly my point! The car you drive, purchased or given, likely has nothing to do with how you choose to treat others. I just wanted to add context to say that just because my kids were given their first cars, it didn't mean they were spoiled brats and treated other kids poorly. I wanted my kids to focus on their education and not feel like they had to put school aside so that they could work to own a car. This thread is a debate, and I just wanted to present a different view.
Appreciate 2
Gregrobin578.00
BMWinAZ104.00
      08-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #48
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
No.

They buy the car, you pay for the insurance, you teach them how to work on it when parts fail. They learn the value of hard work and a skill in return.

Basically what Louise CK said.
Appreciate 1
br2wdc271.00
      08-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #49
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
No.

They buy the car, you pay for the insurance, you teach them how to work on it when parts fail. They learn the value of hard work and a skill in return.

Basically what Louise CK said.
Yes, agreed. My dad taught me how to fix pretty much anything on the car, well, because we were poor and he had to. Again, hated it, but now I appreciate what he did for me. I am amazed to this day how he taught himself so much without the internet.
      08-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #50
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrobin View Post
Yes, agreed. My dad taught me how to fix pretty much anything on the car, well, because we were poor and he had to. Again, hated it, but now I appreciate what he did for me. I am amazed to this day how he taught himself so much without the internet.
Good ol Haynes manuals and determination

Appreciate 2
Gregrobin578.00
br2wdc271.00
      08-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #51
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I didn't expect my daughters to work on their cars. Most new'ish cars can't be worked on by the average owner anymore. However, I absolutely expected them to know when it was time for basic maintenance and to know how to check the fluid levels, tire wear, and be able to change a tire using the tools in the car. I'd bet that 99% of car owners today can't even do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 10:58 AM   #52
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

If I had to buy a car for my boys it would be an entry level economy car and simpler tech the better so something like a Corolla. Should be fairly reliable and not fast enough to get them into trouble. If they want something nicer they can get a job and start saving.
Appreciate 3
Gregrobin578.00
br2wdc271.00
      08-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #53
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

In my house it's a hybrid of it all. We doubled what my son was allowed to pay for a car with his own money from work he had done. He has to maintain half of his money for savings. I offered him my 2004 toyota 4 runner at an insanely low price, half of what I sold it for assuming it would be a no brainer as he surfs and rides mtb bikes. He didn't want any part of it.

He wanted a GTI. I used to be a VAG guy and I guess it rubbed off on him. With what he had and what we matched we ended up buying a copart salvage 2011 GTI that we put back together, new bumper, new aftermarket headlights, marketplace wheels/tires, and painted it in the garage. We did it all together, father/son kind of stuff. Of course he didn't have a turnkey car on his 16th birthday but what he has now is a badass GTI with a light tune. Plenty fast enough for him. He has what he thinks is the coolest cars of his friend group, and is VERY proud of it. I know this doesn't apply to most as it's not practical for most to do this level of work but I grew up modding cars, building VW drag bugs, and am engineer.

There is NO way I'd give him anything faster than what he has now. He's already got 2 speeding tickets, but that's because he doesn't pay attention and got pinched for 7 over in a very conservative area coming home from work at night. He's paying his tickets.

Our deal is that we pay insurance (unless it goes up for tickets then he pays difference) and safety stuff for the car and make sure it's reliable. If it ate a water pump, I'm going to help as he has to drive himself to school as he takes college classes as a high schooler. Any mods are on him and his money.

People using the excuse that "my kid's safety is everything" well there are lots of safe late model non luxury cars on on the road. Our neighbors bought their kid an almost new Benz. He looks like such a douche in it.

Besides, what kind of car stories are you going to have if dad gives you a 40k BMW? People without car stories from their youth are boring people.
Appreciate 4
happyjack1657.00
br2wdc271.00
Gregrobin578.00
      08-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #54
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

If the newish BMW is 'par' for that neighborhood then should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 01:30 AM   #55
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I'm pretty confident that my kid will appreciate an entry-level car.
Appreciate 1
Gregrobin578.00
      08-18-2021, 07:22 AM   #56
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
In my house it's a hybrid of it all. We doubled what my son was allowed to pay for a car with his own money from work he had done. He has to maintain half of his money for savings. I offered him my 2004 toyota 4 runner at an insanely low price, half of what I sold it for assuming it would be a no brainer as he surfs and rides mtb bikes. He didn't want any part of it.

He wanted a GTI. I used to be a VAG guy and I guess it rubbed off on him. With what he had and what we matched we ended up buying a copart salvage 2011 GTI that we put back together, new bumper, new aftermarket headlights, marketplace wheels/tires, and painted it in the garage. We did it all together, father/son kind of stuff. Of course he didn't have a turnkey car on his 16th birthday but what he has now is a badass GTI with a light tune. Plenty fast enough for him. He has what he thinks is the coolest cars of his friend group, and is VERY proud of it. I know this doesn't apply to most as it's not practical for most to do this level of work but I grew up modding cars, building VW drag bugs, and am engineer.

There is NO way I'd give him anything faster than what he has now. He's already got 2 speeding tickets, but that's because he doesn't pay attention and got pinched for 7 over in a very conservative area coming home from work at night. He's paying his tickets.

Our deal is that we pay insurance (unless it goes up for tickets then he pays difference) and safety stuff for the car and make sure it's reliable. If it ate a water pump, I'm going to help as he has to drive himself to school as he takes college classes as a high schooler. Any mods are on him and his money.

People using the excuse that "my kid's safety is everything" well there are lots of safe late model non luxury cars on on the road. Our neighbors bought their kid an almost new Benz. He looks like such a douche in it.

Besides, what kind of car stories are you going to have if dad gives you a 40k BMW? People without car stories from their youth are boring people.
good perspective here.

i shouldve noted in my first post that we did the half-and-half thing on the purchase price as well, but ended up setting a budget of $8K (my son had actually saved over $5K from his summer jobs). we gave list of several makes/models to a friend who buys auction cars at wholesale with the only caveat that we wanted it clean / accident free and under 70K miles. an E90 wasnt our first choice but my friend found an NYC car that had super low miles with no accidents and pulled the trigger.

i definitely dont understand the brand new $40K+ car (or jeep) purchases for new drivers, but i also dont begrudge people for spending their money.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
Gregrobin578.00
      08-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #57
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
I didn't expect my daughters to work on their cars. Most new'ish cars can't be worked on by the average owner anymore. However, I absolutely expected them to know when it was time for basic maintenance and to know how to check the fluid levels, tire wear, and be able to change a tire using the tools in the car. I'd bet that 99% of car owners today can't even do that.
I assure you that is not the case. I taught both of my daughters how to change the oil and a tire. Of coarse they didn't see the benefit as a teenager, but now they can't stop talking about that experience. Newer cars can be worked on if you know how to remove the engine cover.
Appreciate 2
Torgus3781.50
Gregrobin578.00
      08-18-2021, 08:00 AM   #58
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

No, they should share in the purchase cost or purchase themselves.
Appreciate 3
Torgus3781.50
br2wdc271.00
Gregrobin578.00
      08-18-2021, 08:17 AM   #59
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Best thing my Dad ever did for me when all of my school-mates started getting new cars at 16 when I asked him what car I'd get was to say "Whatever you can afford."

First was a '67 VW Beetle in 1969. Next I bought myself a new BMW bike in 1971, then my first BMW car 6-months later. That was a '69 1600 which cost $1295 two-years-old. The brand-new bike back then only cost $1,400. Worked on all of them myself with help from local BMW clubs.

When my then-future wife graduated from college she asked me to help her buy a car. That was 1979 and the car she ended up with was a '73 BMW 2002. She took a lot of flack for showing up for her first job in a BMW. I told her to tell them we only paid $3000 for it but she said they don't deserve to know. Since then she's driven a 2000 sedan, E12 528i, E28 535i, E39 528i, E82 128i coupe, and currently a 2007 328xi trade-in from a customer after an accident totaled the E82. When it came time for my oldest to buy her own car after living in NYC and moving to CA, I told her to not even consider a BMW and she and her husband are very happy with their Honda Fit and CRV, both bought used.

None of my three daughters needed a car when living at home but I bought an older 318ti for them to use/share when they needed one, and it then went to my wife for a while. Neither of us has ever owned a new BMW car and I work at a dealership. My current daily driver—and favorite BMW of all time—is my 2013 128i M-sport 6-speed about to hit 100,000 miles this month.
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #60
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Buying your teenage kid a luxury car (newer model) is more a "look what I can afford" flex for the parent(s) than it is a necessity for the kid.
This. Also puts a target on the kids back and will be judged by their peers. Also projects said child into elite-ism at an early age. At 44, I still get asked by locals, "Your sister was the really pretty girl that drove the BMW in high-school right?" Don't remember her name, or anything else, other than she was pretty and BMW. That was 30 years ago. I drove a '76 El Camino in high school.

.......she drives a Merc now
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5216.00
      08-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #61
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

Ummm, no

My son just turned 16 and will be going for his learner's permit this week.

He is also crushing his school work, but there is ZERO chance I'd buy him a BMW or similar performance car as his first car.

He'll need to work part time through High School and College as I did and get his own used sports car.

I believe my first was a Pontiac Firebird followed by a 1st gen RX-7 and then VW Scirocco

I'll help him find something and assist with the car insurance, and once he get's his license I am guessing Geico will want cash up front, a pint of blood, along with some sort of gold bullion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
16 yo driver, but very responsible, and gets straight A's LOL.

I don't have kids, but I was talking about this with a coworker looking for their kids first car.

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 1
Gregrobin578.00
      08-18-2021, 08:47 AM   #62
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

I concur and don't forget the Bentley manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Good ol Haynes manuals and determination
Attached Images

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #63
Djvxxs
Rep
Drives: Car

I’d say it really depends on various factors.

FWIW, virtually any “new-ish” car is very safe. From a Camry to a E-Class, safety standards are light years ahead of where they were even 20 years ago. To say you’re buying your kid a BMW because it’s a “safe” car sounds more like a way to convince yourself it’s acceptable.

I’d most likely rather buy my daughters something new or newish, based off of the safety factor alone. But would that newer car be a BMW, probably not. It probably wouldn’t be a luxury car period; unless they were just a stand-out child who was highly responsible, fully involved in school, takes an interest in driving and automobiles (that’s actually a factor for me, I don’t know why) etc.

One thing for sure, there will be some double standards. My daughter is getting a newer car, period. I’m not risking her having some old POS that could break down on her God knows where. It might be a Camry and she might hate it, but it’s gonna be a newer car.

My son? If he has any interest in cars, I’d be willing to help him get something cool that he wants and/or help him work on a project car. But he’s gonna shell out most of the money for it. Once proved to be responsible/reliable.. I could see buying him a newish luxury car as a graduation present or something similar.

And lastly, and perhaps the most important point: a luxury car doesn’t define if a child is a spoiled brat or a nuisance to society.. their attitude does. They have people with money who are humble and they have people with nothing that think the world owes them everything.. it’s not the car that determines how a child will embrace the world, it’s their upbringing. So if you child is an asshat, that BMW was probably only a small drip in the bucket of parenting mistakes you could only blame yourself for.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #64
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2wdc View Post
Chiltons are what I used often

Also, I should further explain my original post though it seemed overlooked. Any vehicle purchase whether done by the child solo or the parent purchase, the parents should/must be involved due to their age. I may not purchase the vehicle for them, but nearly every parent in here is dictating what type of vehicle they will get. I will let them know they have a couple choices and all will be as safe as a BMW. I’d rather a 5k e46 than a 5k Honda. I know with tacit knowledge it’s safer. So to answer the precise question, no I won’t be buying my daughters brand new or newish BMW on my dime.
Appreciate 1
br2wdc271.00
      08-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #65
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #66
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2wdc View Post
Scirocco - I had one of these, good memories.