BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > Help: N/S headlight stopped working

03-03-2023, 04:36 AM   #1
NEAL0110
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Help: N/S headlight stopped working

Hi all. Im new here, I've just bought a 2017 M140i a little under a week ago, and the dipped beam on the nearside has stopped working, but the main beam still works.
does anyone know if they share a bulb as i think they do? and how it could only stop 1 part of the bulb from working.
also, are these replaceable bulbs, i have the headlight off and can see a way to replace them except the LED halos and the main ballast.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAL0110 View Post
does anyone know if they share a bulb as i think they do? and how it could only stop 1 part of the bulb from working.
I have pre-LCI xenon lights. There is one bulb and high/low beam is a matter of the angle (repositioning). LED isn't a bulb, AFAIK. It's a set of elements so some can fail while others don't. Here is a video that looks confusing to me: apart from disassembling the car's front end almost completely, what is presumed to be a lamp doesn't look like a light source at all.

Nor this link seems to clarify: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_1655.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAL0110 View Post
also, are these replaceable bulbs, i have the headlight off and can see a way to replace them except the LED halos and the main ballast.
Refer to the manual: mine says only halogen are DIY and xenon requires qualified service. You need LCI manual for LED.

"Usually" LEDs aren't replaceable and you should need the whole new light.
Appreciate 0