BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > HU died, ebay replacement, no bueno! Please help?

05-24-2023, 07:10 AM   #1
kr1st0ph
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 120i Shadow Ed, G20 330i

HU died, ebay replacement, no bueno! Please help?

Hi,

My F20 2018 HU just up and died, wouldn't connect to remove services properly, was glitchy as hell, no idea why, just one day, no sausage.

I know otherwise the system is fine because my MMI unit still works, car play etc

I've bought an ebay replacement unit (8705960) to replace the original, as that didnt have WiFi (so that i can eventually activate OEM car play).

Naively plugged the new unit in last night, and no bueno, its completely black, and checking quickly via bimmercode, the unit isnt correctly activated or coded... thats where i'm stuck.

The old unit works in as much as i can backup and see it via bimmercode (havent checked via esys) so i assume if i need to save codes and restore them to the new unit, i can do, but i've never done that before.

Does anyone have any ideas, or point me towards a thread? I've searched but i cant seem to find anyone who has swapped out an old for a new HU and it not just work perfectly (some have had GPS issues, but mine is literally blank).

(I have a cable for the laptop, as well as a OBD adapter for bimmercode)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi,

Shouldn't there be some theft protection so that you have to introduce the replacement unit to your car properly, not just connect/install it?

Just by the way: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...3#post29904713.

Last edited by No one; 05-25-2023 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Added a link of proof.
Appreciate 0