BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > BMW F20 Heated Mirror Retrofit - Help Needed

04-21-2023, 07:10 AM   #1
Cruwil
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

BMW F20 Heated Mirror Retrofit - Help Needed

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to retrofit the heated mirrors on my BMW F20 and could use some advice. I've got the heated mirror glass, but I'm unsure about the wiring.
Does anyone know where the wires should go or if I need to tap them into the back glass heating element wires? Any help or resources would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:27 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I guess I'll quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

Glass installation is very simple. Connect the wires (any match for heated only but mind auto-dimmable can be burnt black with wires mismatch), tuck the wires not to show between the glass and the frame, push the glass carefully(!) on the middle to click fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:43 AM   #3
Cruwil
Rep

Quote:
I guess I'll quote myself:

My car doesn't have heated mirrors from the factory and I'm trying to retrofit them. I would need to know where the wiring goes from the mirror heating elements.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruwil View Post
My car doesn't have heated mirrors from the factory
This is "highly" impossible. AFAIK, all F20/21 have heated mirrors. In cold countries, in particular: do you mean your car was made for Africa or something? You can check your parts applicability here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruwil View Post
I would need to know where the wiring goes from the mirror heating elements.
Well, in the thread I already quoted there's a video of removing the mirror. I would guess heating wires are in the wire bundle getting detached.

If your car really has no mirror heating you need much more than just the glasses. Besides the wiring, what about control? Factory mirror heating is completely automatic, controlled by the car's computer. "Where the wiring goes from the mirror heating elements" might be simply absent in your car if you don't have the factory mirror heating, which is most unlikely though, as I already mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:15 AM   #5
Cruwil
Rep

Quote:
This is "highly" impossible. AFAIK, all F20/21 have heated mirrors. In cold countries, in particular: do you mean your car was made for Africa or something? You can check your parts applicability here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select.

Well, in the thread I already quoted there's a video of removing the mirror. I would guess heating wires are in the wire bundle getting detached.

If your car really has no mirror heating you need much more than just the glasses. Besides the wiring, what about control? Factory mirror heating is completely automatic, controlled by the car's computer. "Where the wiring goes from the mirror heating elements" might be simply absent in your car if you don't have the factory mirror heating, which is most unlikely though, as I already mentioned.
The car has a cold climate package but seems like it didn't come with heated mirrors. Looks like I gotta look at the wiring diagrams where the wires go.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 02:00 AM   #6
IJO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 116I F20

If it had heated mirrors there would be two thin wires connected to terminals on the back of the mirrors.
Are there any unused wires inside the mirrors?
Appreciate 0