BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 116i MSPORT COOLANT PROBLEM

07-29-2023, 02:00 PM   #1
F20Cloud
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Msport

F20 116i MSPORT COOLANT PROBLEM

Hi guys. Sorry for my bad english. I use translate.Hopefully the correct translation

Hello, friends. I bought my vehicle, but it was not possible to ride with pleasure.
F20 BMW 116i 2014 M SPORT

I will write all the things that happened to me one by one.

When I started getting a coolant warning in the vehicle, I went to 4-5 BMW masters in the neighbourhood and got ideas.
First we changed the expansion vessel and cover. Container CRT 211 000S code Mahle, Cover FEBI 140 bar.
When the result did not change, the water flange thermostat and circulation changed. Although there was nothing in the turbo orings, we changed it anyway.
Repeatedly pressure tested, there is nothing visible.
The only thing that appears is that when we open the bonnet after using the vehicle for half an hour, water splashes around the lid.
Then we tried another lid and expansion container. This time I started to get an ENGINE EXTREME HOT error while losing water.
Then we went back to the old brand cover and container.
An air pressure builds up in the vehicle, and when the lid does its function, it throws water.
Finally, a master said that if water does not circulate from the heating core, it may be air pressure. In the meantime, the master ran it at idle for 1.5 hours and said there was no leakage. He replaced the cover with the original cover, I looked and it was really OEM cover.
I saw the heater core in bad condition and there were red stains (probably the previous owner used red antifreeze and destroyed the car).
I tried the vehicle for half an hour today, I came home, opened the bonnet, and water was thrown to the right and left again. It will probably give a liquid error in 1-2 days.
In the meantime, the master said that he did a gasket test, looked at the engine oil and said that there was no oil-water mixture or water-water oil mixture. There is no smoke throwing etc. There is no problem in traction performance.
The last resort remains the cylinder head gasket, but when we open the engine, we will be 120 thousand. and the engine seems to be trouble-free now, I don't want to open it.

Also, since I bought the vehicle, I have been constantly monitoring the water temperature from OBD and Secret Menu.

Before this last honeycomb change, it was 105-111 - 117, sometimes 120 and sometimes it was 120 and suddenly it was back to 105. Today, I tried it after the honeycomb change 105 - 111, I suddenly loaded the vehicle in the sport and went up to 180s, this time the water temperature dropped to 80 90. Then I slowed down 105-108- 111 - 102-107 water temperature started to travel like this. Is this instability normal?

And in the final, as I wrote above, he threw a little water right and left.

Does anyone have any ideas?
What is this water problem?
Is water temperature instability normal when travelling?
Does the cylinder head gasket not show itself at all, except for water loss?

Last edited by F20Cloud; 07-30-2023 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

Coolant/water splashing around the expansion tank lid can be because of a faulty lid or too high the pressure. Too high the pressure in the expansion tank can be due to too small the tank, too much the coolant, too high the temperature.

From your description I would guess your cooling system might be clogged. Are you sure the coolant runs freely through the radiator/"honeycomb"? Does the cooling fan work, by the way?

Regarding the engine temperature, I guess it's fine it changes within acceptable limits. The temperature is monitored by a computer. I guess it can play with engine "modes" for that (reduce the power output to keep the temperature acceptable), besides the fan usage. They trust it so much they omitted a temperature gauge. Running fast helps reduce the engine temperature due to the oncoming air. To test the cooling system you should rev up the engine standing still. Just be aware heat burden can be (very) damaging.

I've no idea what cylinder head gasket can have to do with overheating. I only know overheating damages it.

You don't need to include the translator link into your message as it has nothing to do with it. This can be seen as spam forbidden here. I mean, you should edit your message to remove the unrelated link at the bottom.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 03:42 AM   #3
F20Cloud
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hi.

Coolant/water splashing around the expansion tank lid can be because of a faulty lid or too high the pressure. Too high the pressure in the expansion tank can be due to too small the tank, too much the coolant, too high the temperature.

From your description I would guess your cooling system might be clogged. Are you sure the coolant runs freely through the radiator/"honeycomb"? Does the cooling fan work, by the way?

Regarding the engine temperature, I guess it's fine it changes within acceptable limits. The temperature is monitored by a computer. I guess it can play with engine "modes" for that (reduce the power output to keep the temperature acceptable), besides the fan usage. They trust it so much they omitted a temperature gauge. Running fast helps reduce the engine temperature due to the oncoming air. To test the cooling system you should rev up the engine standing still. Just be aware heat burden can be (very) damaging.

I've no idea what cylinder head gasket can have to do with overheating. I only know overheating damages it.

You don't need to include the translator link into your message as it has nothing to do with it. This can be seen as spam forbidden here. I mean, you should edit your message to remove the unrelated link at the bottom.
Thanks for the answer.
I will pay attention to the clogging issue.
I hope I don't have to open the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

And by the way, there's a coolant/water pump we've been discussing here recently: https://f20.1addicts.com/forums/show...3#post30150293. It's outside the engine and should be checked as well if you haven't done that yet.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 12:19 PM   #5
F20Cloud
Registered
Rep

I noticed something interesting today.
After half an hour of "SPORT +" driving, I opened the bonnet and looked at it. There was no water leakage even though I forced the vehicle. Then I continued and while drifting on the bend, the "Engine overheated" warning came suddenly. I immediately got out and opened the bonnet and the water in the expansion tank went up to the top and started splashing from the lid. I waited a little, turned on the air conditioner and the water retreated quickly. The water temperature also returned to 107 degrees. I wiped the wet places and forced the vehicle again on a straight road without stopping the engine. And as a result, there is no overflow!
I thought it was a coincidence and tried 1 more time. I started drifting to the right and again the engine warning water splash!

How is this possible?
Does anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0