BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > DIY Guides and Instructions > [Coding] HID fog lights as "Cornering Lights" are flashing.

10-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
kusupito
kusupito
Japan
Rep
Drives: 118i Style of 2015

[Coding] HID fog lights as "Cornering Lights" are flashing.

Hi, everyone.

The fog lights of My 118i (F20 LCI) has been atached HID instead of halogen. And I coded "Welcome Lights" and "Cornering Lights" (front fog lights).

Quote:
■ FEM_BODY
C_CLC_ENA = F020_Enable
C_BLC_ENA = F020_Enable
KL_ENABLE_LI = KL_Ein
KL_ENABLE_RE = KL_Ein
MAPPING_abbiegel_L_output = nsw_l
MAPPING_abbiegel_R_output = nsw_r
MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_L_PART_OF_WL = hard_on /* only Welcome Lights */
MAPPING_NEBELSCHW_R_PART_OF_WL = hard_on /* only Welcome Lights */
When trying to turn on Welcome Lights, they are on normally. But when trying to turn on Cornering Lights, they are flashing (flicker) and they are on or off after it.
*Welcome Lights (fog lights) set to "soft_on" are flashing (flicker) and turn on or off like Cornering Lights.

I guess my HID fog lights set "soft_on" will not work and be flashing (flicker).

Would you tell me Where can I set Cornering Lights to "hard_on"?

Last edited by kusupito; 10-08-2018 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: My English was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hi.

I would strongly suggest you go back to proper bulbs.

Of course you know that HID fog lights both look annoyingly ugly and are ineffective for the fog purpose. They are also illegal in many(?) countries as well: automatic beam height adjustment and (frequently?) washers are mandatory for Xenon (HID) lights.

HID and halogen of the same power have different electric traits (voltage? - I'm lazy to look it up again ): that looks unlikely to be resolvable with coding.

By the way, does your car really have the cornering lights ("adaptive headlights") feature? They should be factory LED, not halogen then. If not, consider this retrofit kit (feel free to narrow down to your car there).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
kusupito
kusupito
Japan
Rep

Thanks for your reply, No one.

Now I am considering whether replacing the HID fog lights to white halogen fog lights or not.

■ Beloff halogen bulb iBEAUTY Cygnus white 4900K H8 FAB804
https://www.amazon.com/Beloff-haloge.../dp/B00JUK1FUU

Anyway, HID fog lights (~6000K?) are not illegal in Japan.

Hmmm. The fog lights as Cornering Lights cannot set "hard_on"? (The default is "soft_on" and it cannot changed?)

> By the way, does your car really have the cornering lights ("adaptive headlights") feature?

I'm sorry that I don't understand what you said because my English is not good. I guess that my car does not have adaptive headlights. Therefore, I coded to the front fog lights as Cornering Lights. In the same way, I coded them as Welcome Lights too.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusupito View Post
Hmmm. The fog lights as Cornering Lights cannot set "hard_on"? (The default is "soft_on" and it cannot changed?)

> By the way, does your car really have the cornering lights ("adaptive headlights") feature?

I'm sorry that I don't understand what you said because my English is not good. I guess that my car does not have adaptive headlights. Therefore, I coded to the front fog lights as Cornering Lights. In the same way, I coded them as Welcome Lights too.
If your car does not have adaptive headlights that effectively means it does not have the cornering lights feature (unless you have it retrofitted). You cannot obtain it by coding as it takes some hardware. Also, if you have halogen fog lights they don't support the cornering feature either: it takes LED fog lights ultimately.

I don't know how to code "Cornering Lights" (I don't practice coding and neither am interested in it, sorry) but I do suppose that coding "Cornering Lights" should be irrelevant if you lack hardware support for the feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Now I am considering whether replacing the HID fog lights to white halogen fog lights or not.

■ Beloff halogen bulb iBEAUTY Cygnus white 4900K H8 FAB804
https://www.amazon.com/Beloff-haloge.../dp/B00JUK1FUU
So your goal is to decorate your car. You have quite some options then :
  • There is an old thread promoting MTEC Super Whites. I see there are appropriate H8 35W 12V available. And it's a Japanese manufacturer so you should have them very available which is fine as they are reportedly not very reliable (you may have to replace them often).

• Have you noticed that high-end BMW cars (M140i in particular as well as "true" ///M) don't have fog lights at all? Or do Japanese ///M car owners retrofit fog lights (compromising engine/brakes ventilation) to make their cars look cool?

• You can also consider changing your attitude to flickering (unless it's just illegal) and simply love what you have.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:17 AM   #6
kusupito
kusupito
Japan
Rep

I misunderstood. I did not know that there were BMW original LED fog lights which supported cornering lights and the specification
of cornering lights.

Thanks for No one, I could understand!

In fact, I don't like the flickering and the color (white-blue?) of HID. I wanted the color same as front lights but the repair shop recommended HID. (The default halogen of fog is too orange compared with the front lights.)

The BMW LED Fog Lights you recommended are very nice. But Amazon don't have them.

* I think follow ones are not BMW original.
https://www.amazon.com/2Pcs-2011-Lig...+fog+light+f20

* BMW Origial LED Fog

0:05~
I can see the specific moves of cornering light when it truns on.

* BMW Original Halogen Fog

0:40~
This is good too. But I think LED is nicer.

Finally, I think F20 needs the cornering lights in dark place or load like country. I want the both of decoration and safety.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
In fact, I don't like the flickering and the color (white-blue?) of HID. I wanted the color same as front lights but the repair shop recommended HID. (The default halogen of fog is too orange compared with the front lights.)
You did notice MTEC had the bulbs of appropriate spec. available in different colours (whiter, yellower than the bluish one I referenced simply based on your extremely bluish bulb link) didn't you? Just in case. I see you want cornering lights and that's LED.

Quote:
The BMW LED Fog Lights you recommended are very nice. But Amazon don't have them.
It does: https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Cornering.../dp/B01LYQGQ28. (It's just F2# cars are not available in USA. This must be why US Amazon should hardly have any parts/accessories for them.)

Quote:
* I think follow ones are not BMW original.
https://www.amazon.com/2Pcs-2011-Lig...+fog+light+f20
Just don't overlook that you seem to need the additional (control?) block too: if your car had it (the cornering light function) already it would have the LED fog lights as well! This must mean you need the complete retrofit kit I referenced above. LED fog lights only you referenced should be just fog lights, without the cornering light feature!

Now let me remind you that those original BMW parts you seek on Amazon (both the LED fog lights and Cornering Light Retrofit Kit) must be available at your local BMW dealer. I checked the prices: they cost on Amazon quite the same as they should cost at my local dealer's. And you may have to add shipping cost from Amazon.

Quote:
Finally, I think F20 needs the cornering lights in dark place or load like country.
I would disagree here. I see those cornering fog lights on other cars around and I think that looks absolutely pointless and ugly. (At least in a city with street lights. ) I guess I would code it off if I happened to have it. On the other hand turning into complete darkness is an issue indeed (I tried ) but I still doubt that cornering light would help much. You choose for yourself, of course.

Last edited by No one; 10-11-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0