05-11-2024, 06:04 PM   #67
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
Exactly. Is it more difficult? Well if you don't train your self than sure, but if you do it enough time, it becomes second nature.
My point is that why train myself to be in tune with the throttle mapping of this specific car when I can just do the same as with every other car, which is easier to get right each and every time and requires absolutely no thought. Just like I've driven manual for decades and can be very smooth with it. But am I as perfectly smooth as a car with a good auto transmission?, no. There are days where I get it right and with years of training I am about as smooth almost all the time, but I am not delusional about being perfect each and every time. And i view it the same with 1pd.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #68
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

I'm glad the iX offers two different ways of driving. Options are good!
Appreciate 2
ggalanis2527.50
LVBMW1608.50
      05-13-2024, 12:31 PM   #69
robinetstar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

i use B mode
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:42 PM   #70
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

Mostly in B. I switch back & forth as road situations change.
As I get increasingly smooth and early with gently lifting off the power pedal, I'm using B mode regen more & more.
It takes a bunch of conscoous practice to build skill to come down from speed to a full stop without any jerkiness. I like not needing to go into park or hold the brake pedal down for stops that don't last long.
Slow three point turns and backing in the driveway type situations are better in D.
B mode feel sticky to me in slow maneuvering.
And sometimes it's useful or just feels good to coast.
I don't like B when using DAPP on the highway. I get discombobulated when it shuts off.
Appreciate 2
LVBMW1608.50
KRS_SN13729.00
      05-13-2024, 04:01 PM   #71
exxxviii
Captain
Rep
Drives: ix xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTARR View Post
I don't like B when using DAPP on the highway. I get discombobulated when it shuts off.
This! I think all OPD cars suck at this, and some suck worse than others. BMW sucks less, but still sucks.
      05-14-2024, 05:38 AM   #72
VersatenBMW
MMBmw
Rep
Drives: Tesla Y; iX m60

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Always D mode with minimal regen. Simulates the drive in an ICE. B mode makes me feel like I'm driving with a rope tied to the car attached to a parachute behind me slowing me down/choking the car. Just my preference.
After extensive experimentation with all modes I do the same. D mode with low regen. This results in smoothest driving experience. It is also the most energy efficient since coasting (which is close to low regen) is more efficient than b mode constant regeneration braking when foot is off the go pedal. Adaptive is herky jerky. Only thing close to d mode with low regen is b in efficient mode since throttle mapping is less aggressive allowing for smoother b mode driving. Tesla b mode is much smoother but they only have friction brakes.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13729.00
      05-14-2024, 05:56 AM   #73
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersatenBMW View Post
After extensive experimentation with all modes I do the same. D mode with low regen. This results in smoothest driving experience. It is also the most energy efficient since coasting (which is close to low regen) is more efficient than b mode constant regeneration braking when foot is off the go pedal. Adaptive is herky jerky. Only thing close to d mode with low regen is b in efficient mode since throttle mapping is less aggressive allowing for smoother b mode driving. Tesla b mode is much smoother but they only have friction brakes.
People may be different but in my case I'd argue that neural channels are less taxed by doing something that I've done for ages ie 2 pedal drive with coasting and braking . Fine control of the accelerator pedal to effect this doesn't come as comfort in my case. Tried it a few times and didn't enjoy that at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 01:47 PM   #74
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

My reflexes were formed over half a century of daily motorcycling & driving sports cars & jeeps. Downshifting more than braking was how I was taught, on road, dirt & track. This feels more like regen to me.
Appreciate 0