BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > YES!!!!... Bring back buttons!!!

04-30-2023, 12:56 PM   #45
lv42day
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Cabin temperature changes on the 2024 Cayenne are completed via the buttons on the center console, you do not have to use the touch screen.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16630.00
      04-30-2023, 12:59 PM   #46
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv42day View Post
Cabin temperature changes on the 2024 Cayenne are completed via the buttons on the center console, you do not have to use the touch screen.
I’m going to check it out before I decide what to do at lease end. Thanks.
      04-30-2023, 01:29 PM   #47
PcarFan
Baned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
PcarFan I don’t remember if you posted in the Polstar thread. Did you see the nonsense of doing away with the rear window and mounting a camera on the roof to feed into the rearview mirror? Someone shoot me if that’s the next fix on all autos.

Lol, no I didn't post in that thread. I did read some of the posts. You posted in that thread

What's wrong with using cameras instead of mirrors
What can go wrong?
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16630.00
Efthreeoh18712.00
      04-30-2023, 02:33 PM   #48
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
Because the Ultimate Driving Machine is a marketing slogan.
Now...

which is my point.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 02:40 PM   #49
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Now...

which is my point.
BMWs haven't lived up to that slogan in probably 25 or 30 years. And I love them but people bought way too much into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #50
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Now...

which is my point.
I don’t know how you can say that brother. Very few automobiles out there are as powerful, luxurious, and superior handling as these M cars. I don’t see how you guys can get a screen ruin that for you. I get that you don’t like it but they have nothing to do with all the other attributes of the vehicles. These things are beasts. Incredibly comfortable and nice looking beasts.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #51
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My 2006 E90 and 2008 Z4 would beg to differ. I think the line gets drawn at the F30 based on my experience. Buicks after that.
I had an E92 and while it was a great car, my current G42 M240i is a better car in every possible way. I wouldn't call either of them the Ultimate Driving Machine though.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
I had an E92 and while it was a great car, my current G42 M240i is a better car in every possible way. I wouldn't call either of them the Ultimate Driving Machine though.
ox·y·mo·ron
[ˌäksəˈmôrˌän]
NOUN
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true):
"that fashionable rhetorical novelty, the humblebrag, is itself an oxymoron" · "the oxymoron forces together two terms which are seemingly incompatible"
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #53
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
PCM screen is required to use the SYNC function and many other garden variety commonly used climate adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 10:26 PM   #54
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Bmw dropped ultimate driving machine for joy of driving slogan And a long time ago
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:27 AM   #55
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcarFan View Post
Now, my sons love it. Look at the screen and follow the lines they say. Yeah, no, I like to look at the mirrors and see where I'm going, I don't like to rely on the cameras
Your sons should learn from you more than teach you. AFAIK, rear view camera and those lines on the screen (like all the other driver's assistants too) are suggested for supplementary use only. This is the trap with those: once they didn't fail you, you tend to trust them more than you should just to find out you shouldn't.

When I didn't drive I thought adding the rear fog lights to the brake lights was a good idea. Now that I know it's illegal and I know why, I try to "honor" incorrect rear fog light users with my (xenon ) high beam (they care how well I see their butt, this helps me even more!). Unfortunately I have to care about other drivers too, the oncoming ones in particular, so this is of very limited applicability.

Quote:
Quote:
I’m going to check it out before I decide what to do at lease end. Thanks.
Porsche is a man's best friend! A true Porsche though, not a housewives' shopping cart.
Appreciate 1
PcarFan936.50
      05-01-2023, 06:22 AM   #56
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post

Porsche is a man's best friend! A true Porsche though, not a housewives' shopping cart.
Being I'm not a man, does the Porsche shopping cart count

In a perfect world, I'd have two vehicles - a SUV and a car. But I have one and I need a daily that can get me around in bad weather. I like the ground clearance for snow and the grin I get from the performance and handling. I want the best of both worlds.

It's almost time to put my big girl wheels back on.
BMWGUYinCO4300.00
      05-01-2023, 12:31 PM   #57
Rafichicago
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:
Well not according to BMW N.A.
Oh well my bad. Must’ve happened not that long ago thanks for keeping me up to date
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #58
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Yeah, BMW dropped that "Joy" shit in less than a year IIRC.
What year was that? The advertisement I watched waiting for my order in 2013 (it looks "mostly" like mine and I still find it inspirational ) claims "Sheer Driving Pleasure".
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:04 PM   #59
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep

Quote:
ox·y·mo·ron
[ˌäksəˈmôrˌän]
NOUN
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true):
"that fashionable rhetorical novelty, the humblebrag, is itself an oxymoron" · "the oxymoron forces together two terms which are seemingly incompatible"
Please enlighten me as to which of my statements are contradictory. Because I called one car great and said the other is even better?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:30 PM   #60
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
My 911 isn't so bad since there are haptic buttons on the center stack and two macro buttons I can set. But I do hate it when I have to go three menus deep to get to a setting that should be a quick click. I don't mind it for some things that aren't changed often, like initial setup items. I loved my OG Macan Turbo with all the buttons. At first it seemed like I was getting into an airplane cockpit, but you eventually have muscle memory and know where everything is. Plus you don't use all those buttons (some of which could have gone into a menu maybe). My Macan GTS doesn't have as many buttons, but it's not all menus and strikes a good balance I think.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go16630.00
      05-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #61
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

I personally hate all the screens and prefer buttons and analog gauges. I’m ok with buttons on the steering wheel to a degree but they should be shaped different so you can control them by feel. If Formula 1 can drive around with lots of buttons on the steering wheel we can probably manage. Touch screens need to go though.
      05-01-2023, 03:49 PM   #62
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
BMW earned the moniker of "Ultimate Driving Machine" partly thru superior interior design (i.e. proper ergonomics) that let the driver focus on driving. One has to be an old timer like me to have lived the legacy. Go drive an E21, E30, E28, E24, etc. and you'll understand.
Even a radio was an option in those days in the UK. E30 and E28 were definitely driving machines, with virtually nothing like them in those days.

I guess today, many drivers are more concerned with all the infotainment extras while driving, than simply driving without touching much at all.
Appreciate 1
Joachim448.00
      05-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #63
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
lv42day
If I could, I'd appreciate your post more than once. The timing is ironic. I was just at the dealer for service yesterday and sat in a new model with the big screen and no buttons. I was talking to my sales guy and told him I was leaning towards buying my current 2022 X6M at lease end in August 2024 due to this nonsense. I was going to take a look at Porsche but I assumed all manufacturers were heading down this same road.

If Porsche really is going back to buttons for 2024, I guess I'll be driving a Cayenne. Unless BMW changes gears and brings back buttons for 2025.....
True story. I took my wife into the BMW dealership last Saturday, April 29th because she wanted a new '24 X5. She is currently in a '21 X3 M40i.

Once she saw that BMW all but eliminated the controls and buttons, she immediately said "NOPE". The advisor was somewhat surprised and told us: "Everyone is using Hey BMW voice assist now to control everything" but we all know how effective that is (not). My wife likes her tunes loud, so the last thing she wants is to yell Hey BMW and not have it respond accurately, and then have to go hunting and pecking through on-screen menus. Stupid.

We were about to walk when they made us a deal on a '23 X3 M40i which, once my wife confirmed that nothing changed much in the interior in terms of controls, worked to customize the new build. At least it is an LCI uplift from our '21.

This move to all screens cost BMW one sale on the X5 platform at least.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go16630.00
PcarFan936.50
      05-05-2023, 03:45 PM   #64
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Cayenne vs X5,
do you know which has the more comfortable middle seat in the rear, (i got 3 teens), and which has the bigger boot?

i have searched the net and nobody compares these 2 cars!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 03:47 PM   #65
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
True story. I took my wife into the BMW dealership last Saturday, April 29th because she wanted a new '24 X5. She is currently in a '21 X3 M40i.

Once she saw that BMW all but eliminated the controls and buttons, she immediately said "NOPE". The advisor was somewhat surprised and told us: "Everyone is using Hey BMW voice assist now to control everything" but we all know how effective that is (not). My wife likes her tunes loud, so the last thing she wants is to yell Hey BMW and not have it respond accurately, and then have to go hunting and pecking through on-screen menus. Stupid.

We were about to walk when they made us a deal on a '23 X3 M40i which, once my wife confirmed that nothing changed much in the interior in terms of controls, worked to customize the new build. At least it is an LCI uplift from our '21.

This move to all screens cost BMW one sale on the X5 platform at least.
it appears i've bought my first and last 2 BMWs, i placed an order for the M3 Touring and then cancelled when it came out with the TV screens.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2023, 03:09 PM   #66
xxdachosen1xx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
https://slate.com/business/2023/04/c...n-hyundai.html

You don’t see a lot of good news about road safety in the United States. Unlike in most peer countries, American roadway deaths surged during the pandemic and have barely receded since. Pedestrian and cyclist fatalities recently hit their highest levels in 40 years, but U.S. transportation officials continue to ignore key contributing factors. In a February interview with Fast Company, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said that “further research” is needed before addressing the obvious risks that oversized SUVs and trucks pose to those not inside of them.

Happily, there is one area where we are making at least marginal progress: A growing number of automakers are backpedaling away from the huge, complex touchscreens that have infested dashboard design over the past 15 years. Buttons and knobs are coming back.

The touchscreen pullback is the result of consumer backlash, not the enactment of overdue regulations or an awakening of corporate responsibility. Many drivers want buttons, not screens, and they’ve given carmakers an earful about it. Auto executives have long brushed aside safety concerns about their complex displays—and all signs suggest they would have happily kept doing so. But their customers are revolting, which has forced them to pay attention.

For well over a decade, touchscreens have spread like a rash across dashboards. As with other dangerous trends in car design (see the steering yoke), this one can be traced back to Tesla, which has for [...]
TLDR sorry 🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 0