BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

11-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #4753
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I caught one in the forearm today on a two-deputy traffic stop scenario where a "bystander" raising commotion on the sidewalk in an attempt to disrupt my stop began firing at us. I took him out and had to apply a tourniquet on myself. All good training.
That's just not fair...I want to play too.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26687.00
UncleWede18326.00
      11-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #4754
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Quote:
I caught one in the forearm today on a two-deputy traffic stop scenario where a "bystander" raising commotion on the sidewalk in an attempt to disrupt my stop began firing at us. I took him out and had to apply a tourniquet on myself. All good training.
That's just not fair...I want to play too.
You have the Cali invite, remember?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:51 PM   #4755
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
I remember. Will you let me play with the sirens and you gun?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #4756
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Quote:
I remember. Will you let me play with the sirens and you gun?
Yep!!! You can play with alllllllllll of the guns.
Appreciate 1
Lady Jane78977.50
      11-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #4757
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
I'd say "get a room", but I'm sure Steve would say "I'm trying!" So I'll just let you guys do your thing lol

I cracked up laughing!
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #4758
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

So, are these "prop guns"???
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #4759
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
So, are these "prop guns"???
They are Gen 1 M&P 9mm handguns with the barrels swapped out. The barrels in the training guns shoot 9mm paint rounds. If you were to swap the barrels, they'd fire regular 9mm rounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:02 AM   #4760
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are Gen 1 M&P 9mm handguns with the barrels swapped out. The barrels in the training guns shoot 9mm paint rounds. If you were to swap the barrels, they'd fire regular 9mm rounds.
Hence the blue. The magazine is yellow, but would still hold a 9mm round?

Asking for a friend
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #4761
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hence the blue. The magazine is yellow, but would still hold a 9mm round?

Asking for a friend
The slides are painted blue and the bottoms of the magazines are painted yellow just to add visual cues. The paint round is a 9mm round, but with a paintball tip rather than a bullet. It's still the same casing, primer, etc. It is still capable of live fire.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #4762
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The slides are painted blue and the bottoms of the magazines are painted yellow just to add visual cues. The paint round is a 9mm round, but with a paintball tip rather than a bullet. It's still the same casing, primer, etc. It is still capable of live fire.
In your scenario below, would you have still been able to take the shooter out after he hit your arm with a real projectile? So you would have to swap hands on the trigger?

It's great that you can get these "as close to real world training" done, feel at least a level of the stress involved.

It's the part of CPR training that is missing for me. I know they have the much more expensive Annie, that can simulate breath and heart, and report on correct compression levels, amount of air entering the lungs, etc. My worksite won't spring for us to get that training level I still go every year when I see it offered.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #4763
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In your scenario below, would you have still been able to take the shooter out after he hit your arm with a real projectile? So you would have to swap hands on the trigger?

It's great that you can get these "as close to real world training" done, feel at least a level of the stress involved.
I preface my answer with this…..

…..had my partner in the scenario been one of the partners I work with in the field daily, I likely wouldn't have been shot at all.

In the scenario, I was the driver and my partner was the book-man. The book-man's primary role in a traffic stop is to hang back a little, listen to what's going on with my interaction, but keep an eye on the surroundings. My book-man in the scenario was caught up dealing with the driver [that I was already engaged with] and didn't address the sidewalk problem at all. I had my attention too divided looking at the driver's hands (…and dealing with his non-compliance) and assessing the other obvious threat directly across from me (…the scenario pits you in a situation with no immediate concealment or cover, which is a realistic situation on a traffic stop). I wanted to tell my book-man, "Dude, deal with that asshole on the sidewalk," but I didn't want to hurt feelings.

The sidewalk suspect pulled out a gun and started firing directly at me, so I was hit in my support forearm as I returned fire. Had my partner already had his gun pointed downrange, he would've had the tactical advantage and would've been able to shoot following furtive movements on behalf of the suspect. I likely wouldn't have been shot at all.

To the meat and potatoes of your question…..

…the round hit my support forearm, not my strong side forearm. I wouldn't have needed to swap hands. We did work scenarios where you were forced to do everything one-handed though. You can rack the slide on your boot, duty belt, sidewalk, etc. Tourniquet application was timed as well as strong side and support side fire-reload-fire drills.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314088.50
mahalom3163.00
      11-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #4764
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

So, you won't be requesting a new partner???

2-person cars thru-out? We only have 2 people in a car when one is the FTO.

I had to meet with chief/staff Tuesday because suddenly they want a MDC in EVERY available unit. "You only have 4 officers and a CSO in the field at any time, 8 MDC should be plenty"
He pulled the Public Safety card with my boss, and now the project for next FY is suddenly in my lap for yesterday. . .
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #4765
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:

…..had my partner in the scenario been one of the partners I work with in the field daily, I likely wouldn't have been shot at all.

In the scenario, I was the driver and my partner was the book-man. The book-man's primary role in a traffic stop is to hang back a little, listen to what's going on with my interaction, but keep an eye on the surroundings. My book-man in the scenario was caught up dealing with the driver [that I was already engaged with] and didn't address the sidewalk problem at all. I had my attention too divided looking at the driver's hands (…and dealing with his non-compliance) and assessing the other obvious threat directly across from me (…the scenario pits you in a situation with no immediate concealment or cover, which is a realistic situation on a traffic stop). I wanted to tell my book-man, "Dude, deal with that asshole on the sidewalk," but I didn't want to hurt feelings.

The sidewalk suspect pulled out a gun and started firing directly at me, so I was hit in my support forearm as I returned fire. Had my partner already had his gun pointed downrange, he would've had the tactical advantage and would've been able to shoot following furtive movements on behalf of the suspect. I likely wouldn't have been shot at all.

…the round hit my support forearm, not my strong side forearm. I wouldn't have needed to swap hands. We did work scenarios where you were forced to do everything one-handed though. You can rack the slide on your boot, duty belt, sidewalk, etc. Tourniquet application was timed as well as strong side and support side fire-reload-fire drills.
Sounds like the scenarios haven't changed much.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 10:43 AM   #4766
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
So, you won't be requesting a new partner???

2-person cars thru-out? We only have 2 people in a car when one is the FTO.

I had to meet with chief/staff Tuesday because suddenly they want a MDC in EVERY available unit. "You only have 4 officers and a CSO in the field at any time, 8 MDC should be plenty"
He pulled the Public Safety card with my boss, and now the project for next FY is suddenly in my lap for yesterday. . .
I don't have a partner in the car. I prefer to be solo. I do have good partners on the beat though. There are other two-man hoops on my shift including training cars (…when we actually have trainees; currently only two on my shift).

Interesting they want MDC's in every unit. I'll have to check to see if all of our available cars have them. I don't believe the Crown Victoria's driven by Homicide Detectives, etc. have them. If it's a marked car, it has one though.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      11-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #4767
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:

Sounds like the scenarios haven't changed much.
The only thing that has changed over the years are the tactics related to clearing buildings. Some of the stuff we did yesterday was different and uncomfortable compared to how I was originally trained.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      11-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #4768
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
The only thing that has changed over the years are the tactics related to clearing buildings. Some of the stuff we did yesterday was different and uncomfortable compared to how I was originally trained.
The constant fine tuning and lessons learned from others mistakes.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #4769
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
MDC?

Sedan, are you running irons or RDS? Do you have the option?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #4770
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
MDC?

Sedan, are you running irons or RDS? Do you have the option?
Mobile Data/Digital Computer…..

I have tritium sights on my handguns. We can use RDS's if we qualify expert at the range. I haven't taken the test and I don't own any handguns with slides that are RDS ready.
Appreciate 1
mahalom3163.00
      11-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #4771
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:

I have tritium sights on my handguns. We can use RDS's if we qualify expert at the range. I haven't taken the test and I don't own any handguns with slides that are RDS ready.
Unless something has drastically changed the vast majority of police shootings happen up close and involve instinctive shooting where using a full sight picture isn't the reality.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #4772
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Unless something has drastically changed the vast majority of police shootings happen up close and involve instinctive shooting where using a full sight picture isn't the reality.
That is true. Most shootings occur within 3-5 yards.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #4773
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
That is true. Most shootings occur within 3-5 yards.
First round is likely fired before you can think about getting a sight picture.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26687.00
      11-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #4774
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
First round is likely fired before you can think about getting a sight picture.
You're doing it wrong.
Appreciate 0