BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > So the Supra is getting a makeover...

04-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #23
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
sorry, i guess i should have specified from the beginning - despite what the car looked like after the accident, the damage was purely cosmetic. there is no engine, suspension, or chassis/frame damage. everything about the car was mint when i first got her, and i've babied her since she's been in my possession. she felt and drove perfectly before the accident...no need to worry about a chassis that's rusted through.
good stuff, all you need now is a good bodyshop!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #24
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Did the vehicle get in a rollover?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #25
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
good stuff, all you need now is a good bodyshop!
got one! and he's local too! at first i was certain i would have to tow the car to Orlando to have the work done at Samuels Paint and Auto Body (who specializes in repairing/refinishing Supras, but also does flawless work on all sorts of high end vehicles - Porches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc.). but then i heard about this guy who has a body shop through a friend who heard from a friend who heard from a friend etc...he is a one man show who operates out of a building on the back of his property. he's got a full-size spray booth, multiple frame racks, and all the equipment you would find in a top of the line auto body shop. i'd never heard of him before, so naturally i was skeptical at first. but after visiting his facility, seeing some of his portfolio, and speaking with some references who absolutely raved about him, i was confident that this was the man for the job. it turns out that this guy, while not well known by the general public, is well known by many of the high end automobile owners in my town...and if you've ever been to Sarasota, you know there's no shortage of wealthy people here. needless to say, many of the folks who put their Porsches/Ferraris/Lotus/Lambos/etc. into the walls at Sebring and other tracks around the state end up taking their cars to Paul to get them fixed. so i figured if Paul can take a 997 GT2 or a 355 Berlinetta and make it look brand new after slamming into a solid wall (or even just tire barriers) on a track day at 100+ mph, then he should be more than capable of fixing some superficial damage caused by some steel cables at ~40 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer This View Post
Did the vehicle get in a rollover?
no...i got that question alot in the other build threads i have going. i'm not surprised though - the exterior did look completely trashed after the accident. the tires never left the ground...i did nothing but slip/slide until the car came to a halt. the suspended cable guard rail went over the top of the car, hence the reason the mirrors and spoiler got ripped off. the cables also scratched up and dented the pillars and roof panel so that it looks like i rolled over, but i assure you i didn't. the cop who filed the police report also had a hard time believing that i didn't roll the thing LOL...
      04-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #26
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

RMM rear wing & V-speed side skirts

Quote:
RMM rear wing w/ CF centerpiece:

V-speed (Ridox replica) side skirts:

more to come soon...
      04-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #27
One128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 128i (sold), 06' MX-5

One of the BEST Toyotas ever made.

Looking forward to the end result!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #28
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

APR GT3 mirrors and AeroCatch hood latches

Quote:
thanks again for all the support everyone

here are the APR GT3 CF mirrors:

here's what they'll look like assembled...i'm having the bases painted to match the body:

...and here are the AeroCatch hood latches...i was going to order these in the carbon fiber look, but i was afraid they might not match the true CF pattern of the hood, so i just got the black ones. i'm also painting these to match the body:

again, more to come soon...

Last edited by 94JZA80; 04-27-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #29
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
here she is at Paul's place with some of the replacement panels in place. the roof behind the targa top just got approved today by insurance to get replaced (instead of just repaired). so that panel is on order but hasn't arrived yet.

new targa top:

you can see the new front clip just behind the bumper:

hopefully he'll have the new roof panel welded in and the car primed by the beginning of next week so i can take more pics...
      04-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #30
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
yes you do...and you're already up to date on the build from following it on another board . i thought this would be a good place to post about it considering i'm a big BMW/euro enthusiast and a fairly active forum member, and considering that there must be some Japanese auto enthusiasts here as well.
absolutely!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #31
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

APR radiator cooling plate & Mint Speed strut bar

Quote:
so here is the APR carbon fiber radiator cooling plate i recently acquired:

...and here are some pictures of the Mint Speed titanium front strut bar i have on order and in production:

...for those who don't know, it is an exact replica of the TRD strut bar, only it is made entirely of titanium and weighs only 3-lbs (that's 8-lbs lighter than the stainless steel TRD unit). so i get all the rigidity of the strongest strut bar available for the Supra at a fraction of the weight penalty. oh, and the next best thing about it is the exclusivity - i'm getting production #003 of 150. note that these are not pictures of my individual strut bar - the above prototype #000 i believe belongs to Curtis Chen (MyKarIsVicious), owner of the 2007 Super Lap Battle street RWD class winning Supra, and the man responsible for bringing this awesome product to the Supra community. he is also the owner of Modellista Designs, a company known for its design of carbon fiber parts. production on my strut bar began a bit over a month ago, and the first batch of 15 should ship mid to late March...the wait is killing me!

here are a few pics of the bar installed in Curtis' time attack Supra:

...the slight coloration you see on the end i believe was added after production. in other words, Mint Speed is not coloring the titanium - the owners will be free to do that however they please. personally, i'd be afraid to take a torch to it for fear of warping it. but i understand that you can also add color to titanium by submerging it in certain kinds of fluids and applying various electric currents...so maybe i'll try adding some color to my strut bar if i feel adventerous...

i'm also most likely going to have to modify the hood to work with this strut bar. so the wait for the arrival of the strut bar is probably what's going to hold up the project next, as the body work will probably be done and the car primed before the bar gets here. at that point, we'll begin fitting and cutting the hood as necessary, and then spray the entire car at once.

stay tuned. i should have some more body and paint progress pics soon...
      04-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #32
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

more body work...

Quote:
i went to see the progress on the Supra after work today. the body work is essentially done, save for fitment of the side skirts and cutting the hood for latches and the strut bar. this isn't a full mach up, as parts have already been taken back off the car...

rear right fender rolled, side marker shaved, and antenna shaved:

rear roof panel and rear right fender welded:

rear roof panel and rear left fender welded:

rear left fender rolled and side marker shaved:

a closer look at the rear left fender rolled...probably picked up an inch of clearance:

some dents and dings touched up:

front plate mounting holes filled:

front side markers shaved:

she'll be getting sanded and primed tomorrow, and hopefully sealed on Wednesday, at which point i'll return to the shop to finalize fitment of the hood latches and side skirts...
      04-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

What the FAK! they took the engine out to do this?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #34
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72 View Post
What the FAK! they took the engine out to do this?
LOL no, I took the engine out so Paul could paint the engine bay to match. i didn't want any red visible whatsoever after reassembly...
      04-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #35
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Wow, thats an amazing build. The frame looks pretty damn clean, as for the bubbly parts that can be easily sanded down and painted over! Clean ride man, after the restoration I bet that thing will be a BEAST.
Liking all those parts your adding on your car
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #36
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Subscribed!
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:37 AM   #37
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...so i needed to kill some time while my car was in the shop, and my calipers were badly in need of new paint. so i got some VHT goodies and went to work on them. i meant to document the whole process from start to finish, but i didn't get a chance to take any pics of the sanding and priming. at this point, they've been sanded, VHT primed, painted VHT red, logo stickers applied, and hit with 2 coats of VHT clear coat. i'll probably leave the backside of the calipers the way they are. the front sides of the calipers will get wet sanded and clear-coated again to get the finish smoother. note that the front sides of the front calipers are not in the pictures - when i got done spraying them red, i didn't like the way they looked. for some reason Toyota cast that part of the front caliper in a "bumpy" mold, and so the bumpy surface didn't look smooth like the front sides of the rear calipers. so i took a grinder to them and smoothed them out. i haven't re-primed and painted them yet, so they're not in these pictures. some of these pics are going to look yellow-ish - that's just the camera. the spray booth actually has white flourescent lighting...

the flash was on auto, and happened to go off on this shot:

same shot, without the flash:

you can see the "orange peel" in this pic...i'll have to do some more wet sanding and clear coating to get rid of that:

...i'll get more pics when they're 100% finished and put back together.
      04-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #38
Ender514
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

awesome project! cant wait to see it when its done.
      04-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Euro glass headlamps & Axis Super Penta wheels

Quote:
so i'll be going with the Euro glass headlamps this time around:

...and my wheels will be Axis Super Penta's. they're not exactly what i was looking for with respect to wheel width/diameter/offset combination (or even make and model), but they are literally being given to me. its a deal i can't refuse, so i'll sport these until i have the money to buy the wheels i truly love. i haven't gotten the wheels yet, as they're currently on another Supra. but i should have them in the next few weeks. the wheels are brand new (only a few hundred miles on them), and have brand new tires on them as well. i don't recall the exact widths, but i'm pretty certain off the top of my head that they are not as wide as i would like them to be. they are 19" in diameter, and are matte black with silver rivets. they will look like this, minus the yellow time attack stripe:

...spoke to Paul yesterday afternoon, and he said that he'll be picking up the last piece (the roof panel behind the targa top and in front of the hatch) from Toyota and should have it welded into place by thursday. i'll most likely be going to see the latest progress Friday after work. this will be the last time i see the car before primer and paint . so expect more pictures of body work some time this weekend...
      04-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #40
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
got the rear brake calipers assembled:

...still working on the fronts...should have those done real soon.
      04-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #41
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
MOARRR!!!!
      04-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #42
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

jesus man!!!

your going all out

I can only imagine how excited you are for this.
      04-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #43
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
jesus man!!!

your going all out

I can only imagine how excited you are for this.
well the opportunity presented itself, so i figured what the heck lol...hopefully one day soon i'll be going all out on the motor, just like you're doing now. i'm still on the stock twin turbos, so i'm a prime candidate for going single. but that's another project altogether...plus i need to save up the $$$ to do it. after i get this cosmetic project out of the way, i'm going to install the MAP ECU II that i meant to install months ago. i'm curious to see how much more than 441WHP/429WTQ i can manage with a tune...
      04-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #44
Genesis200T
Registered
Rep
Drives: Genesis Coupe

this is looking very good. Keep up the great work.
Appreciate 0